• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

The "feel" of my handlebar levers...

heastill9818

Hey Team,
I was at the SE COG gathering last week and got to ride another c14 with MANY farkles. The donor driver and I swapped bikes for about 10 miles. The first thing I noticed was the immediate feel of the levers. so grabbing his front brake with 1 finger was instant braking, the clutch had much less "slack" in the lever too. At first I though it was possible air in the lines but after bleeding procedure, no air bubbles present and had solid feel once past the "slack" of the lever. The owner had bought the bike used and had not done and adjustments to the bike but said the master cylinder for both levers, were replaced recently? I tried a few bikes levers out and most had some sort of "initial slack" in the lever. I inspected the donor bikes brakes and everything looks stock.

My question is... does anyone know how or why the borrowed bikes levers are so crisp as compared to my levers?

I know I can live with what I have but that crisp lever is a very nice feeling and safer imho.

any thoughts?

I'd like to tighten up the feel of my clutch lever.
I've messed with the "range dial" but it could be better.
I've got fresh fluid and a good bleed.
Nick
C-14

How often do you change the fluid, and bleed your systems?
I have owned the bike for 6 months and have bled/re-bled the brakes and clutch 3 times now to try and better this problem. Otherwise I would usually do it annually or when the fluid turns yellow (water contaminate).

My 09 has reasonable brakes with 1 finger on the lever. It as mentioned could be the pads. I am using EBC pads front and rear. At one point the rear brake was weaker than when the bike was a bit younger. There was noticeable wear on the rotor. Replaced the rotor with a new one with new pads. Much Much improvement. (the 09 did not have linked brakes)

So one thing to look at is what is the condition of the rotors. And are the pads glazed over? I think looking in this area would be the first place to look if braking power has diminished.

The rotor material Kawasaki used after replacing a bunch of "warped" rotors changed to a softer metal. I think this was to reduce pad material from sticking to the rotor and making them feel warped. As the "new" rotors are used they show wear by leaving a visible lip at the outside off the rotor that the brake pads don't touch. Makes it hard for the common Connie owner to measure wear because the lip is in the way.

My 09 has reasonable brakes with 1 finger on the lever. It as mentioned could be the pads. I am using EBC pads front and rear. At one point the rear brake was weaker than when the bike was a bit younger. There was noticeable wear on the rotor. Replaced the rotor with a new one with new pads. Much Much improvement. (the 09 did not have linked brakes)

So one thing to look at is what is the condition of the rotors. And are the pads glazed over? I think looking in this area would be the first place to look if braking power has diminished.

The rotor material Kawasaki used after replacing a bunch of "warped" rotors changed to a softer metal. I think this was to reduce pad material from sticking to the rotor and making them feel warped. As the "new" rotors are used they show wear by leaving a visible lip at the outside off the rotor that the brake pads don't touch. Makes it hard for the common Connie owner to measure wear because the lip is in the way.
To be clear, the brakes work great, one-two finger no problem. I am just talking about the play in the handle till the brakes are activated...the slop for lack of better wording. Thank you for those thoughts and I WILL mic the rotors and pads for sure.

I had a similar feel years ago with my c10, that was corrected when i went to ss braided lines. No slop, instant feel and a big improvement in braking performance.

There is a brass bushing at the pivot points that can wear and get sloppy,especially if they arent lubed regularly..