• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Things Connie shouldn't do!

dmwnokc

How about a board that addresses items or repairs that either shouldn't be required or should be avoided?

A whole board or just a thread? What is it you have in mind? I'm also guessing that your talking about having this thread only about the C14. More info please of what your asking, if you don't mind.  ;)

14k on my 2011 and I noticed a slight drop in gas mileage. Time for a new air filter I presumed. Jeeez can they make it any more difficult to replace? So while I had fairing pieces off and was well into the job, I thought ok, maybe I will put some platinum spark plugs in. I could barely see the location of one plug, never mind getting to it. Replacing the spark plugs is another major undertaking. Am I missing something here? Plugs and filters used to be a half hour job on any bike I'v ever owned.

Attachments

• MtcyMap.jpg
    MtcyMap.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 45
In my case I was having real issues with power and cutting out at low RPMs.  Problem started mid-corner and I thought I was running out of gas (low fuel light just came on) so I filled up - no difference. 

I was due for 48K service so I took bike in and told mechanic about problem.  They performed service, only found minor things and returned to me, but on the way home the problem started happening again (once bike really warmed up).  I took the bike back in and had the mechanic ride - he immediately put it on the lift and started rechecking everything - everything checked out but he wanted to pursue and asked to keep bike for another day.  When I went back he was on-line checking for any type of related issues since he had exhausted the standard Kawasaki service suggestions/adjustments and asked for a little more time (oh no, where is this leading?). 

When I returned he had the bike running like new (many thanks to Dennis at "House of Kawasaki" in OKC) - seems that the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) was out of adjustment (not an item that should ever need adjustment supposedly, so they are covering determination/correction under warranty).  I reviewed the copy of Service Manual I have and there are only two mentions of the TPS and nothing on where/how to make an adjustment so it's not an item that Kawasaki would think ever needs to be checked/adjusted - wrong!

I had checked this forum and googled the net but didn't find a related experience, so I started this topic.  Maybe we can keep this topic to "what happened and how it got fixed".

Cap'n Bob said:
A whole board or just a thread? What is it you have in mind? I'm also guessing that your talking about having this thread only about the C14. More info please of what your asking, if you don't mind.  ;)

My intention was just a thread so a simple "had a unique problem and this is how it got fixed" message can be posted.  When I'm trying to figure out an issue multi-page threads are handy to see what others are doing/trying but a thread with problem/finding/fix single messages would be handy.

DMWnOKC said:
Cap'n Bob said:

My intention was just a thread so a simple "had a unique problem and this is how it got fixed" message can be posted.  When I'm trying to figure out an issue multi-page threads are handy to see what others are doing/trying but a thread with problem/finding/fix single messages would be handy.

I would have no problem having a thread for informational purposes only. The only thing that does concern me is that once you explained your problem and solution (or other folks doing the same). Then folks would start having discussions pertaining to events and repairs. That makes for huge threads that are hard to navigate for folks that are following.
But we could try to do something like this and set a sticky on the thread. If we put rules telling folks to PM, E-mail or start another thread with questions (to keep the thread informational only). It may work. But I would have to stress that posts asking questions or comments would have to be deleted or better yet, split off to it's own topic thread. This would be only to keep the thread clean, with just the "this happened to me and this is how they fixed it". Which is what the whole idea of the thread would be about. Clean, informative, but void of unnecessary information that clutters normal threads. Would this be acceptable to what you had in mind? If so, I will start a thread with the rules posted. Then set a sticky. Then it's up to y'all to post acceptable information that the thread is designed for.  Does this sound OK to you? 

Works for me, just wanting to get the word out on my problem that according to Kawasaki shouldn't have happened.  I've used the forum for figuring out what to do for along time - just haven't been able to contribute much, good job guys/gals that do contribute and much thanks.
DMWnOKC

I've been told that it isn't a good idea to drop a shim down an oil flow hole, cause you have to remove the oil pan to retrieve it. So I'd recommend you try hard not to drop a shim when working on the valves.