• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

throttle lock

lena5284

Bicycle
I saw on FB that a member just bought a Atlas throttle lock and it was a bottom mount. I got on the Atlas website and their saying to use the top mount on a C14. I think I would prefer the top mount. From what I can tell it shouldn't interfere with the heated grips wire. Can anybody help me out here? Thx in advance. 

Did you ever buy one of the Atlas throttle locks? I was reading on advrider about this thing and it sounds better than the Throttle Meister throttle lock.

https://advrider.com/atlas-throttle-lock/

Haven't used that brand, so no hands on advice. It sure looks pretty slick and basic. I researched it and WOW sticker shock. I see others that look similar for a fraction of that cost?
  I've owned the Kuryakyn, which is no doubt the prettiest with different finishes in a smooth billet aluminum. Hard to find now accept old models used.
  Also own the Kaoko throttle lock which fits the bikes looks extremely well, heavy bar weight to match and finish to match the Kawasaki finish. I find it functions better than the Kuryakyn as it's easier to activate even with gloves. Still blending into the bike well, looking factory unlike some of the cheap obtrusive bulky types I've seen.

Again I guess I didn't answer your question, just throwing some other options out there. If I was going to spend over $200 bucks on a Throttle lock, I'd probably go for the Cruise Control.

I have a Throttle Meister throttle lock, and it works fine for my needs. I was intrigued and a little curious after reading the article so I did a search on the forum to see who had one and if there were any reviews.

Thanks

I have these on both of my C-10's. I also used one way back on my 82 KZ550. They say that they are not for late model Kawasaki's but instead of using the bottom plastic tab as a lock to the throttle cables I pull out the pins and reverse it, while it is disassembled I sand down the ridge to make it narrower and then after I get it to the position I want for the activation lever I shoot a glob of ultra black RTV between it and the switch housing to retain it in position. You can use the set screw to adjust the holding power. Mine will just keep the throttle from creeping back when I let go of the grip. Stick your thumb straight out as you roll off the throttle and it disengages. I don't have heated grips so not sure on how the wires come out for interference.

NEP Motorcycle Cruise Control Throttle Lock for Dual Cable Throttles 7/8" CC3 | eBay
(8)
· $22.95*·

Attachments

• KMW .jpg
    KMW .jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 256
This Atlas throttle lock has piqued my interest! I have aftermarket Oxford heated grips, so would love to read a review or feedback even on newer C14s with heated grips. I think in my case the bottom lock option would be best. Definitely a lot more $$ but still cheaper than CC.

I've had the Atlas throttle lock for a couple of years now. First on my SV650, now on the C14.

I find that it works well, and gives me opportunity to rest my hand every now and then. I typically don't use it for extended periods of time, usually about 1 minute stretches or so when my right hand gets tired.

Summary:
+ looks pretty good on the bike, not overly bulky
+ easy installation
+ easy to use (e.g., on/off, slight adjustments to speed etc.)
+ can be transferred to other bikes

- I'd say it's a bit pricey
- unless on a flat road, speed will fluctuate, requiring small adjustments

robertv said:
This Atlas throttle lock has piqued my interest! I have aftermarket Oxford heated grips, so would love to read a review or feedback even on newer C14s with heated grips. I think in my case the bottom lock option would be best. Definitely a lot more $$ but still cheaper than CC.
Robert - I ordered an Atlas Throttle lock yesterday.  I'm not using it on the Connie though, it's going on a new Honda CB500X, and I'm also installing the Oxford Adventure Premium heated grips.  Will let you know how the installation goes.  From looking at this and e-mailing Josh at Atlas, either the top mount or bottom mount version will work.  I went with top mount.

A factor to consider if you want to install the Atlas on a Connie is that the grips must be removed to install the Atlas.  Since I'm already removing the factory grips and installing heated ones on my Honda, it's not a consideration for me.  If you have heated grips already, it may be difficult to remove them without damage.

I have had just about every Throttle Lock known to man and compared to the Rostra on the C14 they all suck. You can do the whole Rostra project for under $300. Yep, it's kind of a pain in the butt to install but it really is worth it.  :)

BiggusDekkus said:
robertv said:
Robert - I ordered an Atlas Throttle lock yesterday.  I'm not using it on the Connie though, it's going on a new Honda CB500X, and I'm also installing the Oxford Adventure Premium heated grips.  Will let you know how the installation goes.  From looking at this and e-mailing Josh at Atlas, either the top mount or bottom mount version will work.  I went with top mount.

A factor to consider if you want to install the Atlas on a Connie is that the grips must be removed to install the Atlas.  Since I'm already removing the factory grips and installing heated ones on my Honda, it's not a consideration for me.  If you have heated grips already, it may be difficult to remove them without damage.

Thanks Steve! Hope you're doing well. Its been awhile since we've ridden with our NW COG brethren. I think the last ride was St Helens with some of the members experiencing flats, hope that's out of their system!  :)

Good to know on removing the grips pre-install, I will have to check removal difficulty of the heated grip on the throttle side without damage. I'll wait to see what your review thoughts are!

Robert - got around to installing the Atlas throttle lock.  I was wrong about removing the grips, they can remain on the bike.  I had a little problem installing the Atlas on my CB500X, because the fixed (left) side is tapered on that bike, so it leaves a smaller patch for holding friction on the throttle.  There was still enough grip, and I was successful.  Installation should be no problem at all on the Connie. 

Here's the link for others to see how the Atlas works:  www.atlasthrottlelock.com

I used the Atlas Throttle lock this last week when I was on a longer trip.  It works very well to hold the throttle position, but allows you to make small adjustments manually for up/down hills or slowing traffic.  Easy to deploy and turn off.  I give the Atlas a 5 star rating.

Just ordered mine.  Starting to get a little arthritis in my thumbs and the area on the palm just below the thumb, makes the hand start to tingle after about 30 min of riding so I've been looking for a good throttle lock that didn't require removal or modification of the heated grip.  By the way, that Voltaren stuff works pretty good too.  Happy 4th everyone!

Bought one @MOA National I had trouble getting it correct. The Owner met me and installed correctly in minutes. I had a bar end throttle lock on another Connie. This Atlas is night and day compared./ What a game changer. Holds speed on strait away forever .up and down roads not stable speed but it is a lock and not speed control. Very Very happy

I purchased the Atlas throttle lock after seeing it at Americade. Received it and installed just this past week. Finally able to try it out yesterday on riding NE GA. Certainly not recommended for the twisters but worked very well holding constant speed on the non twisters lol. I’m just using it to rest the throttle hand. Easy to set and adjusts easily after setting it. On setting for me it is easier with throttle at idle coasting then adjust for speed. I like it. And with heated grips you will need the top set. There’s a space for the wiring. Hope this covers questions. Any other just ask.

$145 for a throttle lock?!?! Ouch..! I bought my Rostra c.c. for $200 on sale a few years back....and have loved every minute ive used it...