• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Throttle Return Spring?

I just bought my 1998 Connie about a month ago, have put about 1500 miles on her and have a question. I cannot feel any kind of a throttle return spring whatsoever. I have about a 1/4 turn or more of slop before I accelerate and then when I let off the throttle I have to manually return the throttle to idle. It hasn't big a really big deal, but just doesn't seem right to me. Can anyone tell me if this is correct or if not, where is the spring supposed to be? Thanks very much! Doug Wood Desoto,IL

Hi Doug; What you describe is NOT right and you should fix what ever is wrong ASAP. A 1/4 turn before any action is too much so for starters, they are adjusted wrong. I would start by seeing of the throttle cables are routed/installed correctly all the way from the grip to the carbs themselves. If everything is routed/installed OK then find and follow the procedure for adjusting the throttle play. They probably also need lubrication.

Ok, thanks for the reply. So, is there not a spring involved too? Just trying to get this straight in my mind before I do anything. Thanks! Doug

There is a spring on the carb end. If cables are not binding then grip will spring back quite well. Sometimes the problem is the grip moves or for some reason rubs on bar end weight and keeps it from returning also. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Ok, I found the problem that was causing no return. The stupid add on throttle lock which in my humble opinion is junk. I loosened it and the return is fine now. I do need to do some adjusting it seems to eliminate the 1/4 turn of slack though. If I remember right, that adjustment is at the carbs, correct? Thanks for the help! Doug

Do you have a throttle lock impeding the correct function of your throttle travel?? BWAHAHAHAHA!! Glad you found it and was tenacious enough to look..

Doug, there is an adjustment at the twist grip for the throttle cables. Try there before using the adjusters at the carbs. Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

I figured out my lack of throttle return when going about installing the cruise control this past weekend. The pull throttle cable had come out of the bracket at the carbs. Just that simple, and I now have normal throttle return. I thought I would pass along my findings in case anyone else has this problem. Doug Wood DeSoto,IL AMA#1090587