• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Throttle tension

dgold

Is there a way to adjust the tension on the throttle? I understand the need to have immediate return of the throttle but would prefer less Resistance to turning it.

I haven't really looked, but my first guess would be "no". Though, on the FJR we used to unhook the center spring on the throttle body because the tension on it was really bad. I haven't looked to see if that is possible on this bike or not, as it has never bothered me.

Agree, ride an FJR and you'll know how bad throttle tension can be.  If you can ride with a Cramp Buster it'll take care of the problem.

SB

Another issue I had was the diameter of the grips causing hand fatigue/cramping issues.  I switched to BMW grips which are larger diameter and hand cramping went away.  I believe most of the favored vendors have some sort of aftermarket grip option as well if the BMW grips aren't for you.

I think I got this idea from either an FJR tip here http://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/sg/sg.html or from one of the C14 sites (this one or the old one that was here now separate) which I can no longer find through search.

Noah

I just put Grip Puppies on mine to help alleviate the cramping problem.  Have em on my Goldwing and it solved the cramping while riding it.  I personally don't like cruise control.

Referring back to the original post regarding throttle tension.  I'm not sure what was being referenced or specifically meant by throttle tension but I had an experience relating to this topic last fall after I installed heated grips on my 09 Connie. 

After doing the install of the heated grips, over the following several months I noticed that my throttle was becoming more and more sluggish when returning to the idle position after applying the throttle.  I assumed I needed to adjust my throttle cables and/or apply some lubricant to the cables.  So...per my manual I adjusted the cable tension and did some minor lubricating of the cables...this seemed to work but not completely AND after a week or so I noticed more and more drag...the throttle just wasn't 'snapping back' to the idle position like it did when my Connie had it's OEM grips.

Finally, I removed my end caps (or whatever they are called) on the handle bars which cover the ends of the bars outside of the grips.  I then took a razor knife and shaved just a very small bit off the end of the heated grips where I guessed they might be rubbing against those end caps and causing the sluggish behavior....I then remounted the 'end caps' with an allen wrench.  What a difference!  My throttle now snaps back to the idle position like it did before I installed the heated grips...Wish I'd figured this out a long time ago. 

Hopefully this experience of mine might help out if anyone else experiences a sluggish throttle when nothing else seems to fix the problem.

The Throttle Tamer tube helped a lot on my setup. I was using a cramp buster, which works great. Now with the tamer I only using the cramp bust on long days if I feel the need... Oh, and the cables like some good lube. I use Maxima Crystal clear chain lube...

ddtmoto said:
The Throttle Tamer tube helped a lot on my setup. I was using a cramp buster, which works great. Now with the tamer I only using the cramp bust on long days if I feel the need... Oh, and the cables like some good lube. I use Maxima Crystal clear chain lube...

I highly recommend against the usage of ANY kind of "lube" on these throttle cables, Especially "chain lube"....they are polymer impregnated, and not designed to have goober in there which will attract and hold grit, and become sticky..
If they do become sticky after years, simply remove the cables, hang them up, and flush them with WD-40, allowing it to all drain out with any contaminants they pull with it. I'd even force high pressure air thru them as a follow up to assist.

Since I started this thread I tried different gloves to no avail, then someone suggested Grip Puppies. Well they are cheap and easy to remove so what the heck I'll try them. I put them on Saturday morning and rode several times. They work! They feel ugly but the hands cover them.

My Cable lube practice works great and has for many years and many miles on my bike's cables in the dirt and on the street...the cables last longer lubed also...