• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire help!!

ctpatrick

Training Wheels
Hello! New here but not to forums. I find them very helpful in sharing information. Anyway, years ago I owned a Concours and was probably my favorite bike of the many I have owned. Recently I had an opportunity to grab another...so I did! Love everything about the bike but tires. In first first round (1986), had the original Dunlop front and rear and them moved to Metzlers and were great. This bike (1995) recently had Michelin Pilot up front and Shinko Verge in the rear mounted. At speeds above 55mph the bike "floats" and is all over the road. I have adjusted pressure and still hate the ride. This is not a typical Connie.

Here is the question-anyone had experience with these tires? I know Michelin but not Shinko. Could it be an unfit marriage of brands? Could it be something else? I hate to scrap new rubber but will in a heartbeat when it comes to comfort, handling and safety. Otherwise the bike is as smooth as I remember

Thanks!

Do a search on "Verge".  The tire has a lower load rating and some people suspect that's why they were experiencing problems (wobble) with this tires.  The Shinko 777 (Bias), however, has a higher load rating and performs well with a radial on the front so I wouldn't necessarily discount the brand.  I've run (4) 777 on the rear and PR3's on the front with no complaints.

Unfortunately, PR3's in the 18" size are discontinued.

Dunlop E4's in Goldwing size and your good. I hate Shinko's have never had good luck with them......well not totally true the brand new Shinko I took off the front when I bought the bike has made my kids very happy as a tire swing :beerchug:

I started reading many of the posts after I submitted this one. Although I have always been a stickler for matching brands on F & R, I see a new rear tire under the tree for me at Christmas and will go from there. May be a matching Michelin or another brand. but that thing has got to go. I don't want to rename my Concours to Corvair!  :rotflmao:

Jim said:
Do a search on "Verge".  The tire has a lower load rating and some people suspect that's why they were experiencing problems (wobble) with this tires.  The Shinko 777 (Bias), however, has a higher load rating and performs well with a radial on the front so I wouldn't necessarily discount the brand.  I've run (4) 777 on the rear and PR3's on the front with no complaints.

Regarding the PR3 18" Fronts...

True...they are discontinued...but...there are still plenty of the 120/70ZR18 PR3 Front tires in the warehouse...WPS part number is 87-9775...

Can't seem to find the 110/80ZR18...it must be gone... :(

TNConnieRider said:
What is the thought on mixing a radial and bias tire? Running Michelin pr4 up front.
The thought is that it's ok.  There are a number of guys that are running a radial front such as a PR3 with the Shinko 777 on the rear which is a bias ply tire.  I use the 777 on my GS1100GK and am happy with it.

GeorgeRYoung said:
I've had good handling and mileage from a couple of bias ply Michelin Commanders, 150/80B16.

(THIS is what I meant to do...)

Last combo I ran was this Michellin (rear) and a BT-045 front, both bias ply. Very stable.

Jim said:

Upon further investigation, my current Shinko Verge is the same load rating as the original tires at 71W. So lower rating could not be the issue. Regardless, I'm overthinking this and going to order the Michelin Commander 2 or Michelin Scorcher 31.  Kawasaki originally mounted radials and I'm inclined to go that way but the choices seem to decrease and costs increase

I am running the Michelin Pilot Activ on the front and the Commander II with the 77H load rating on the back. I have run the North Cascades Loop with this set of tires and I am very happy with this combination. I ride pretty hard and pushed these tires to see how they would do and no complaints.

Take a look at your motor mounts just in case one sheared off. That will make it seem like it is riding on marbles.

So, the Michelin Commander 2 and Michelin Scorcher 31 are radials, available in the correct sizes, and are rated for this weight?
I wasn't aware of other radials that were suitable?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
So, the Michelin Commander 2 and Michelin Scorcher 31 are radials, available in the correct sizes, and are rated for this weight?
I wasn't aware of other radials that were suitable?

Ride safe, Ted

Neither one is a radial...

I used a Commander II on the rear of my C10. It handled well, was responsive, great mileage, and had good grip... on dry pavement. I experienced several slips on wet pavement, and especially on paint stripes. I replaced it with about 50% tread left.
I replaced with Avon 3D X-M. It took a little to break them in, and until then, they wandered some, but after that, they were great.
There are many that have had issues with Avons, and swear at them, not by them... just saying.
Hey guys... another tire thread - LOL
Glad you found another Connie :great:

Over the last year or so we've heard that both the Avon 3D X-M and the Shinko Verge have had handling problems.
I personally saw a problem with an Avon 3D X-M that was so bad I could see it anytime he got near traffic.
I think I recall that the verge is a Verge II?

So, {not counting those} are there any Radials still available for the front/rear of a C-10?

Ride safe, Ted

There's a Pirelli 110/80R18 Angel GT radial I'm using for the front. Until a better radial comes along for the rear, I'll be sticking with the Michelin Commander II.

connie_rider said:
Over the last year or so we've heard that both the Avon 3D X-M and the Shinko Verge have had handling problems.
I personally saw a problem with an Avon 3D X-M that was so bad I could see it anytime he got near traffic.
I think I recall that the verge is a Verge II?

So, {not counting those} are there any Radials still available for the front/rear of a C-10?

Ride safe, Ted

Verge II is not available in a 16" diameter...it's the original Verge...

One of the often overlooked bias ply tires that handles like a dream is the Avon AM-26. They are available in stock Connie sizes (pre 94 and post 94 sizes). If you have any doubt about the handling ask Daytona Mike or anyone else who followed me through the twisties in Arkansas over the years.

Mounted an Avon Storm 3D and broke it in today. Can you say ear to ear grin and bike felt just as it should and as I remember. Straight roads, tight turns, slow speeds or "slightly" over the limit felt GREAT.

Be careful not to put too much weight on the Avon Storm 3D. We had the bike fully loaded to capacity and the rear tire developed a wobble. It's probably fine for regular use.

I love my Avon 3D's. I haven't rode with a "loaded" bike, nor do I push it like my GSXR track bike. They do everything I ask and have done it well over the last 7 thousand miles. Not as cheap as some but, I feel, well worth the money.

Red Eagle said:
:great:
+1 to what Jim Snyder says. Followed his lead and never been happier.

Bob Young
COG #5753

Yeah what Red Eagle said, listen to the master (that would be me) for he knows of what he speaks. The Avon AM-26's have been available in stock Connie sizes for years. And they corner like a champion !!!

I was looking at the Avon tires and was wondering if anyone has tried the Avon Spirit ST radials?  I'm torn between those and the AM26 especially since the Spirit ST has a 15K mile warranty.  Anybody?

I too just replaced my front with the AM26. I also considered the Spirit but couldn’t find anyone that had Connie sizes in Canada. It looks like it would be a great tire. Give it a try and report back to us.

At the risk of starting a never ending debate... What is the problem with using the oem Dunlop radials the Concours was equipped with? My 93, purchased new, seems to ride and handle what ever I can throw at it. Maybe back in the day the tire replacement options were limited vs today...

Steve

Back in the day, we had more options for radials...
Since that time, many of the manufacturers stopped making radials for the Connie..

As I recall, the OEM was not a bad tire, but cupped badly.

Ride safe, Ted

Steve said:
At the risk of starting a never ending debate... What is the problem with using the oem Dunlop radials the Concours was equipped with? My 93, purchased new, seems to ride and handle what ever I can throw at it. Maybe back in the day the tire replacement options were limited vs today...

Steve

You are correct. However the OEMs utilize 30+ year old technology,
are relatively expensive and don’t last very long.
IMO, there are better options available today.