• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire pressure monitoring

brutus

Hi guys/gals.
Quick question regarding the tire pressure monitoring system. I have a 2012 concours 14. Low battery flashes. I know I can temporarily reset my monitor to stop the flashing. (red light appears).
My goal is to not replace the batteries once they die. My question..once the batteries completely die, or i decide to remove those useless sensors, will my monitor be back to normal or will I continue to have reset my monitor by pressing both bottoms together.
Thanks!
Dave

Only Dashes will be displayed once sensor batteries are depleted - no warning.

If you momentarily disconnect the bike's battery earth lead when the sensors are removed or dead, the TPMS feature will no longer appear. Alternatively, a dealer with KDS could delete the sensors from the ECU.

Last edited:
I am just curious as to why you wouldn't replace the batteries? They typically last about 5 yrs and are part of the vehicles safety system. They are not that difficult or expensive to replace and failure to replace will lower the resale value.

Hi guys/gals.
Quick question regarding the tire pressure monitoring system. I have a 2012 concours 14. Low battery flashes. I know I can temporarily reset my monitor to stop the flashing. (red light appears).
My goal is to not replace the batteries once they die. My question..once the batteries completely die, or i decide to remove those useless sensors, will my monitor be back to normal or will I continue to have reset my monitor by pressing both bottoms together.
Thanks!
Dave
Dave theres several threads to help u here. There's a thread which will help u identify if u have the old style (replaceable battery) or newer potted style (very difficult) to replace battery. There identified by the valve stem if I remember correctly.

If u have the old style. It's pretty simple.to change batteries. Hiw do i.know,? I did mine. Theres a thread for the battery replacement. In fact I did mine while the tires were still on the rims and bike. Theres a thread for that that tells and shows you how, using a couple.of Irwin clamps to break.the bead on the tire and get to the tpms sensor. All without taking the wheel.off. I did mine this way cuz mine started.low batt'ing me 800 miles after a set of new skins were put on.

I LOVE my TPS

I LOVE my TPS

I LOVE my TPS:love:

The only thing I dislike is the red light coming on at 32 psi because I like lower tire pressure than most, ;)

I could care less about tire wear or fuel mileage. Excitement is my goal.

brutus,

TPMS has saved riders from the horrible experience of maneuvering to the roadside with a developing flat after it has become "flat". Riders differ in many aspects. If almost all or your riding is 25 - 35 MPH this may not be a benefit and the LCD screen warning would be annoying. If you dapple in short highway riding this also might not be a necessary safety feature and serve as annoying. If you ride for moderate lengths of time above 35MPH I would encourage you to fix the TPMS sensors (even thought the cost from the dealer is insane!).

If you want TPMS gone this thread has ample resources to achieve that.

TPMS saved me from being stranded once and also gives me confidence on long rides in remote places.

Dan

I thought I was going down on my 82 Suzuki one day because of rear tire pressure loss. Scared the crap out of me. The only thing that kept me up was not freaking out.

Had the same thing happen on my C14. I try to keep the tpms on the screen when riding. Picked up a screw and saw the rear tire pressure dropping fairly quickly. It was no drama pulling off on the shoulder. Only concern was how long was it going to take for my riding buddy to realize that I wasn't back there anymore. I recommend keeping the tpms.

I lost rear tire pressure on my 2011 C-14 downhill on a mountain road. The TPS saved my ass, no doubt about it.

It was the beginning of my 3rd week of ownership, bought her used from the prior owner in 2018 and this was the 11th time I had ridden her - I was keeping logs in those days. I was just getting comfortable riding her on the twisties to and from work up and down the mountain daily (92 mile round trip). I just finished a switchback turn and and was lining up the next when the TPS told me there was definitely an issue. I never felt a thing prior to the TPS warning, but in the couple seconds I had to react, it got mushy, I slowed, got to the side near the guardrail it had gone from a low pressure warning to the rim bottoming out on the tire in just a few seconds. I shutter to think what would have happened if I got into that left hand turn and the tire had gone completely flat. I still remember the spot on the road every time I pass it, and its a long way down over that side. I tell folks all the time that "you could starve to death before you hit the bottom of some of those canyons" if you went over than short guardrail - and I mean it!

I have been able to turn around and get back because of warning and also caught a small leak due to a nail . I also had pretty rapid loss but the flashing red got me slowed down quick. I wax getting on it pretty hard and I think it through out whatever made the puncture. I will try to keep my operational