• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire repair kits

Mininsx

Anyone got opinions on the best on-road tire repair kit (plugs)? I'm thinking before I go on a long trip I'd better either get one or Slime the rear tire.

Slime...eeeeevil.

http://www.pashnit.com/product/stopngo.html  I use this.  I just pulled a tire off that had 8000 miles on it, 7000 of them with one of these repairs on it.

Necron99 said:
Slime...eeeeevil.

http://www.pashnit.com/product/stopngo.html  I use this.  I just pulled a tire off that had 8000 miles on it, 7000 of them with one of these repairs on it.

:iagree:

I ordered the same kit when I ordered my CyclePump. I used a slime-based product once...only once. The only positive feedback I got on the use of slime was when the mechanic who replaced my tire thanked me for warning him.  ;D

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/clubstatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=36283

This tech page has some good information. Red Camel Brand ropes/strings seems to be very popular ones to get. Then You'll want the little tools, and stuff, maybe a valve stem core, removal tool, etc.

Also from that tech page the dyna plug tool Fred Harmon mentions looks quite interesting. I was looking at my own kit after that and decided to throw away the strings I have, search for the red camel ones, and get a dyna plug and carry both.

MCN published an article I wrote on these a few months back. I've probably plugged nearly a dozen tires with them with good results.

http://www.dynaplug.com/

I also carry the orange Camel brand rope plugs as a back up and for holes that are larger in diameter than what the Dyna plug can handle. But for 95% of the nail and screw holes, the Dyna plug is just the right size.

Whatever you do, I would recommend that you don't put Slime or RideOn in your tire. IN MY OPINION, that stuff is a big waste of money.

While on this subject I have a question. I plugged a small hole on my rear tire that only had 200 miles on it. I used a rope plug. It has held the air pretty well. I am leaving on a trip up north to Cambria with the wife next week. Do you think it's ok to not replace the tire if the plug has been holding or with all the gear and wife on the bike, would it be a good idea to just change out the tire?

Steve

steve18 said:
While on this subject I have a question. I plugged a small hole on my rear tire that only had 200 miles on it. I used a rope plug. It has held the air pretty well. I am leaving on a trip up north to Cambria with the wife next week. Do you think it's ok to not replace the tire if the plug has been holding or with all the gear and wife on the bike, would it be a good idea to just change out the tire?

Steve

Steve, only you can make that decision. However, I will tell you this. I have ridden for thousands of miles, two-up, on plugged tires. I've never seen a rope plug fail. Sometimes after they get a lot of miles on them, they'll start to slow leak a little, and maybe loose a pound a day, but I don't know of any cases where they have come out of a tire. The plug will vulcanize to the rubber and become one with the carcass.

Anytime you plug a tire you do need to increase your pressure checks on that tire, because they can leak a little. I'd suggest checking it every morning and evening. You also need to make an effort not to ride on it at elevated speeds, because this will cause additional stress on the repair when the carcass expands and gets hot. Personally, I try not to go over 80 for any length of time on a plugged tire.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
steve18 said:

Steve

Steve, only you can make that decision. However, I will tell you this. I have ridden for thousands of miles, two-up, on plugged tires. I've never seen a rope plug fail. Sometimes after they get a lot of miles on them, they'll start to slow leak a little, and maybe loose a pound a day, but I don't know of any cases where they have come out of a tire. The plug will vulcanize to the rubber and become one with the carcass.

Anytime you plug a tire you do need to increase your pressure checks on that tire, because they can leak a little. I'd suggest checking it every morning and evening. You also need to make an effort not to ride on it at elevated speeds, because this will cause additional stress on the repair when the carcass expands and gets hot. Personally, I try not to go over 80 for any length of time on a plugged tire.

Thank you very much Fred for the info!  I appreciate it. Oh ya, and your videos are the best investment I've made!

Steve

Fred is a very smart man and very respected in the motorcycle community, but I would never ride a plugged tire farther than it is to a shop to get a new tire.

would stay away from slime, had some in a atv tire. the slime that got on the aluminum rim was very hard to get off and started pitting the rim! wont use it again!

joe in calif said:
I would never ride a plugged tire farther than it is to a shop to get a new tire.

There certainly is nothing wrong with that approach, and it is indeed always safer to replace a tire rather than repair it.

However, a properly plugged tire is a stronger repair than most folks realize. Next time you plug one and ride it for a while, try to pull the plug out of the tire when you take it off the rim. I think you'll be in for a surprise.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
MCN published an article I wrote on these a few months back. I've probably plugged nearly a dozen tires with them with good results.

http://www.dynaplug.com/

I also carry the orange Camel brand rope plugs as a back up and for holes that are larger in diameter than what the Dyna plug can handle. But for 95% of the nail and screw holes, the Dyna plug is just the right size.

Whatever you do, I would recommend that you don't put Slime or RideOn in your tire. IN MY OPINION, that stuff is a big waste of money.

FRED

Thanks I will buy the Dynaplug set. Looks like a nice system.

If you could answer a few related questions it would be great.

1. What pump brand and model do you carried on your bike?
2. Do you leave the bike running when you are using the pump? (Battery)
3. How do you connect the pump to the battery?

Thanks in advance

Brent

Article By Fred Harmon (URL) Below

http://www.dynaplug.com/mcn.html

KLRtoConnie said:
1. What pump brand and model do you carried on your bike?
2. Do you leave the bike running when you are using the pump? (Battery)
3. How do you connect the pump to the battery?

I use the Slime 4001 Pump. Amazon.com carries them for about $27 or so. The come in a nice pouch with all the connectors and hoses you'll need.

Yes, I leave the bike running so I don't kill the battery.

I use a standard SAE connector wired straight to the battery through a 25 amp fuse.

51eEGgbJvXL._SS400_.jpg

I carry Dynaplugs and the Slime pump as well.  I used to carry sticky string but the DP kit was just more compact (only 1 tool and all the plugs store in the handle)

As for riding on a plugged tire, I know there are many people who have been doing it for thousands of miles, but the fact is Moto tires are under considerably different pressure loads then car tires and using a plug IMHO is just asking for trouble.  I personally would never ride a plugged tire any further then I had to (IE to get home and get a new tire on )

Riding a plugged tire IMHO is the same as riding a car tire on the rear,  yeah it's been done, yeah there are thousands of miles on em,  but it's a bad idea.  How much is your hide worth?  (This is MY opinion)

I have used the sticky rope plugs and now I carry a Stop & Go Tire Plugger kit.  I've only used these so as not to ruin a perfectly good day of riding.  It's quicker than waiting for roadside assistance. 

With that said, when I get home I order a new tire.  Plugs are permanant and work great with cars but on a motorcycle the tire is stressed differently and usually ridden faster.  I'd hate to have anything go wrong just because I wanted to save a few bucks. 

Hey Fred,

Where do you store your Dynaplug plugs? In the end cap. Do they get all stuck together in there OR keep them separated out. Didnt really want to stick that whole plastic packaging under the rear tail section. Was thinking it would be nice to just put it all in the end cap, but wondered about them getting hot and melting all together.

For that matter, any one have that happen with the rope/string kits?

Very doubtful that the stop n go plugs will "melt together". They will however dry and become brittle over time, this I know for a fact as I have witnessed this before trying to repair another Coggers tire. So it is best to keep them in a sealed bad or other container like an old 35mm film canster. and thing about buying new plugs when the old plugs are older than five years or so.  AS far as the Dynaplug go, I would thing they are the same and over time they too will dry out.

I just wrap the Dyna Plugs up in some aluminum foil to keep them separated. The claim they won't dry out, but I wrap them up anyway to keep dirt off them and keep them from sticking to each other.

Gigantor said:
I have used the sticky rope plugs and now I carry a Stop & Go Tire Plugger kit.

If you are talking about the StopNGo mushroom kit plugger, I will tell you that I've had very bad experiences with it. The insertion tool and plug will stretch out the hole to the point that it will ruin the tire for any future repair, and the plugs have a bad habit of leaking and shearing off the mushroom head of the plug. I tried to plug three tires with them and all three plugs failed, and one even came out of the tire totally and caused it to go instantly flat while riding. The plugs don't vulcanize and don't hold and leak. And the instructions tell you to put OIL on the plug to insert it??!! Personally, I won't ever use one again.

Many other folks have reported similar bad experiences with the StopNGo mushroom kit on various motorcycle forums.

StopNGo also makes a sticky rope kit, and it should be fine, but I'd recommend staying away from their mushroom type plug kit.

Fred

Thanks. Just ordered a set off Amazon.

Brent

Dynaplug 1007 Tubeless Tire Repair Kit
$14.95
This will be a gift

Dynaplug 1014 Tire Repair Refill Plug - Pack of 5
$5.25
This will be a gift

Slime 40001 Power Sport Tire Inflator
$26.99

I would have to concur on the problems with StopNGo mushroom.  When I first saw these I thought the system was a foolproof way to fix a flat.  I've used them 4-5 different times and have YET to completely seal the hole!  I'm bummed that I invested in this system but live and learn.

I think I'll order-up some DynaPlugs and give 'em a try.

+1 for the Slime pump.  I have been overly impressed with this cheap pump setup.

Maybe I'm just good at installing the stop n go mushrooms....

Zero problems, thousands of miles.

I did a trip last summer. Took along the dyna plug kit and the rope style kit. Had three flats. Tried using the dyna plug kit on the first flat. Could only get maybe 20mi. then flat agin. Tried another plug same thing. Switched to rope style kit. No problems. Put 4700mi on the rope plugs.

UPDATE

Used Dynaplug for a rear tire leak PR2 with 3k miles on it. (Found a #8 or a #10 self taping screw in the tire).

I had to use 2 plugs to close the leak, while my better half held the flashlight. Slime pump worked great (thanks Fred) and so far (100+ miles the plugs have not lost one psi)

Ordered a new tire as most riding is 2 up with wife and (happy wife = happy life) . Also as she was on the back at 80+ when the TPS red light lit up from the screw, we talked (I listened) and we decided to be safe get a new rear tire.

PR3 is on the way.