• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

tire replacement

wparvin

Bicycle
It's time to replace my tires, I have a 2003 Connie. The front tire is a 120x70x18, the rear 150x80x16 (Dunlops). I'm not crazy about the Dunlops & would like to try a different brand but the choices for the front tire are slim & none. I want a tires that will last, handle good in wet & dry conditions, stop on a dime, not whine while crusing, not be affected by rain grooves, & be affordable (tall order for sure). I have been on-line & Motorcycle Warehouse has 2 Bridgestones (G851 & G853)that are the correct size for the front, they are radials, 97.99 & 101.99 (free shipping if over 75.00). Anyone know anything about these tires? Could I use a different size tire for the front like a 110x80x18? Would there be a problem with clearance with the front fender if I did? The rear tire shouldn't be a problem, several manufactures make that size I believe. Brigestone has a G702A that size as a matter of fact (116.99).

What Dunlops do you have. The stock dunlops or the dunlops K700/701 series are not the greatest. The Dunlop D205's are much nicer, Z-Rated radial tires. IMO they do whine some. Dont necessarily meet all your requirements, just curious. Yes you can use a 110/80-18. Note the 18" wheel and not 16", which is what I assume you meant. Don't know anything about the Bridgestones you mention. Looking at the descriptions they appear to be a cruiser tire. But are also Z-rated radials for the front, and a V-rated radial for the rear. All in all, since you want them to last, provide stability, and good handling. But didnt state you wanted tires that were for hard core twisties action I would be tempted to think Michelin Pilot GT's. They are Goldwing GL1500 bias ply tire that are essentially a +1 size on the Connie. They do have all the clearances. And are a proper fit on the Connie wheels. They would meet your requirements except price. Sticking with the Stock size, and meeting your requirements will be a tall order. There are a number with the handling and requirements met, except the "to last" part. These may do the trick. I dont recall hearing them mentioned on the COG forum before. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Yeah, the Dunlops are the 700 series & you're right, I meant the 18" not 16" for the 110x80. I was hoping by posting this in the forum maybe someone could give me feedback about the Bridgestones, they have been around a long time & in the past have made pretty decent tires. I am not planning any hard core twisties (Florida flatland) but still want a tire that grips in everyday use.

I put the Bridgestone v45s on about 4000 miles ago. Still plenty left. I am not a good judge of cornering and traction in the wet as the only experience I've had was with the Metzler 88s that were on it when I bought it. The bridgestones will not last as long as the 88s did,(over 18000). I will probably buy the bridgestones again as they just feel so much better than the 88s in all conditions. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Most of your tire wish list conflicts with "last a long time." I like the Avon (Azaro rear and Storm front) -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Bill, I have used the 110/80-18 for years on the prior 98/ now on my '01 Conk and they work fine. Actually the more narrow tire seems to turn more readily in to the turn for me. Also as it is 4mm taller the speedo here in MPH seems to be more accurate and that is reflected in my GPS as well.

Bill, The current Avon in the 120/70 size is the Storm. It will match with the 150/80 Azaro for the rear. I am currently running the Avon Venoms in the Honda GL 1500 sizes and am very happy with them. I have run them in the NC, GA and TN twisties with no issues. I am in FL also and they appear to be doing well with our flat roads. I mounted them on the recommendation of Larry Buck who gets around 18 - 20K out of them. The Azaro/Storm combo is good for hard charging cornering but will only get around 10K out of the rear, if you're lucky. Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753