• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

tire sizing

northwestdrew

Big Wheel
Hey Guys been looking through the posts, and have not found the  straight answer to a question I have developed due to something I experienced on the way into work on my 88 connie ( Reba) . She started to shake her pretty head and I thought oh no, wheel bearings or stem loose so into the garage she went,on to the cog site and found what I needed to pull the wheel as I was working it, I felt this lump on the off center of the tire so, need new tire, reading the tire post (omg) and found that I believe instead of what is on the bike 130/70/18 Michelin Pilot GT the tire should be 110/80/18 insert bias,radial, brand name but my question is will I notice the difference in how the bike will handle with this tire size. thanks for the input Andy (northwestdrew)

With a 110-80 the bike will start handling like a
motorcycle instead of a bus.
IOW, lighter, more precise handling will be
immediately apparent.

I agree with reply #1 and #2.  Changing to the 110 tire will make it feel like a new bike.  :beerchug:

Don't know if there's another list, but this one has been around awhile.  Occasionally someone will update it.  It keeps old copies, so if someone really makes a mess of it, I can go back to an older copy and restore it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SxooyUn528Qt6sjTG6FDpW_vuQDKH44ky_2_JABvQXU/edit?usp=sharing&authkey=CL-gx9gK

Last year, in preparation for the National Rally in Cortez, I put on a set of Avon 3D X-Ms, with the front being the 110/80 size.  HUGE change in handling.  It is like a different bike, however, in the interest of full disclosure, immediately prior to the new tires, the forks were rebuilt and the bearings replaced. 

Allen

The 130/70-18 is way to big for the 88 rims width. If you like bias ply tires look at the Avon AM-26's. They come in the stock sizes and they handle great. Ask anyone who has ever followed me through the twisties. But if you like radials there are still tires available from several manufacturers.

A 130 on the front - isn't that a Goldwing size?  Some folks seem to like running GW size bias-ply tires - much improved tire life, and more stable when droning along the interstate, but affects the handling adversely in the twisties.  I don't think a 130 width radial would mount on a Concours rim, but maybe someone got it to mount.  Wouldn't be a safe choice IMHO.

delling3 said:
A 130 on the front - isn't that a Goldwing size?  Some folks seem to like running GW size bias-ply tires - much improved tire life, and more stable when droning along the interstate, but affects the handling adversely in the twisties.  I don't think a 130 width radial would mount on a Concours rim, but maybe someone got it to mount.  Wouldn't be a safe choice IMHO.
Correct it is a GL size tire and for the most part they wear like iron that said they handle like iron YMMV