• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tires on my 17 Connie

Nice17connie

I run Avon Storm 3D X-M and really like them. They last really well I ride hard and lean even harder. and they stick like glue.

Nice17 - I have read a couple times this tire has a propensity to break loose in a straight line under heavy acceleration. Have you experienced this at all?

Not certain if the center compound is just a tad harder to allow longer mileage and the compromise is such.

I would imagine the traction control system would take care of that issue.
Mine is very sensitive.
Nick
2014 C-14

My 09 doesn't break the rear tire loose very often. It did go up in smoke when I hit a small pot hole with water at in it and WOT.

I run Avon Storm 3D X-M and really like them. They last really well ...
They're my tire of choice for last several sets, have about 4000 miles yet to go on this set. About a year someone / somewhere told me they were being replaced by the Avon "Spirit" model.

I run Avon Storm 3D X-M and really like them. They last really well I ride hard and lean even harder. and they stick like glue.
They are great tires & used to be my tire of choice until they got hard to get. Had to get the last set from two different places so I've been running RS2's lately after trying the Spirits. 45 plus sets of all brands on my C14 & the 3D XM's are by far the best.

They're my tire of choice for last several sets, have about 4000 miles yet to go on this set. About a year someone / somewhere told me they were being replaced by the Avon "Spirit" model.
I was told the same thing & I ran a couple sets of the Spirits, I want bother to run them again either. Didn't like them at all & the mileage was low.

I have talked to Avon & they told me the 3D's were still in production readily available, but that's not what I see when I look.

Nice17 - I have read a couple times this tire has a propensity to break loose in a straight line under heavy acceleration. Have you experienced this at all?
I've never heard or experienced this, not positive but I've probably been through 1/2 dozen sets of them.

Cliff:

How are the RS2's holding up for you?
Any thoughts on going to the RS3's or 4's in the future?
I know you're a value shopper due to miles.....

N

There are a number of good tires for this bike. Personal preference.
I feel the Conti RoadAttack 3 is a very underrated tire.
I almost went with these but an going to try the RS 3s again.

Cliff, I was shopping around and some of my go to places didnt list or were out of stock on them. I didnt need tires yet but didnt want to be in a position to just take what I could get.

Cliff:

How are the RS2's holding up for you?
Any thoughts on going to the RS3's or 4's in the future?

I haven't actually finished off a set yet. Installed my 1st set last June & rode to NC, on my return trip 1 hour from home I ran over something which put a finger size hole in my rear. Got home & installed a new rear, then in Sept. removed that set early to make a trip to CO. Still have that set on & have about 4,500 on them, they look to have 2,000 + left. I think they'll go at least 6,500 which I consider good. I would try the 3's or 4's, but I have 3 sets of 2's on the shelf & those might last all year if this year is as slow as last year.

I've had 2 set's of Mitas 50/50 tires on my V Strom & they did very well. Mitas is making a sport touring tire now so I'm wanting to try those also.

There are a number of good tires for this bike. Personal preference.
I feel the Conti RoadAttack 3 is a very underrated tire.
I agree there is, roads & riding style make a huge difference. I've had one set of Continentals, they netted me 10 days & 1,900 miles so I want be going there again. They handled & gripped well, but I didn't have them long enough to ride in the rain.

I agree there is, roads & riding style make a huge difference. I've had one set of Continentals, they netted me 10 days & 1,900 miles so I want be going there again. They handled & gripped well, but I didn't have them long enough to ride in the rain.

Wondering which Continental you had... sounds like it could have been the SportAttack tires, but not the RoadAttack. My experience was with RoadAttack.

Wondering which Continental you had... sounds like it could have been the SportAttack tires, but not the RoadAttack. My experience was with RoadAttack.
I had the Conti Motions, I'm not sure the Roadattacks were even a thing then.

Cliff:

N
I am cheap I know, but honestly I've found that some of the less expensive tires last just as long & handle just as well as the high end tires. Averaging 3 - 4 sets a year makes a difference, that's not counting a set or two for my Strom.

I had high hopes for the Metzler RoadTec 01, ended up that I couldn't wait to get it off.

They are great tires & used to be my tire of choice until they got hard to get. Had to get the last set from two different places so I've been running RS2's lately after trying the Spirits. 45 plus sets of all brands on my C14 & the 3D XM's are by far the best.

I was told the same thing & I ran a couple sets of the Spirits, I want bother to run them again either. Didn't like them at all & the mileage was low.

I have talked to Avon & they told me the 3D's were still in production readily available, but that's not what I see when I look.

I've never heard or experienced this, not positive but I've probably been through 1/2 dozen sets of them

Not certain if the center compound is just a tad harder to allow longer mileage and the compromise is such.
No never had rear tire spin on me. And my Connie is Flashed and fast. More power then stock. If I get on it hard she will lift the front end way before the rear tire even thinks about spinning. I really like the Avon 3D XM TIRES

No and my Connie is Flashed. It has awesome traction and cornering grip.

I used to run the Avon Storm 3D-XM on my 2002 C10 until they became hard to get about 3 years ago. Since then I ran Avon Spirit STs, front and rear on the C10, and they worked great. Good handling in wet or dry, reasonable mileage.

Now that I own a 2009 C14, I'm trying the Spirit STs on my "new" bike. I trust they'll serve me well, and I'll report accordingly as time and miles go by. (Nick Diaz, Middletown, MD).

Now that I own a 2009 C14, I'm trying the Spirit STs on my "new" bike. I trust they'll serve me well, and I'll report accordingly as time and miles go by. (Nick Diaz, Middletown, MD).

The Spirit ST's were a BIG disappoint for me after trying 2 sets, no more for me.

I am a big fan of the 3D- XM's though, but for whatever reason they're just getting harder to come by.

I browsed around for the 3D-XM's yesterday afternoon since seeing this thread and found the 190/55's are scarce. Plenty of 200/50's and 185/55's. Wondering how the 200/50's compare as far as turn-in. Any one try them?

The Spirit ST's were a BIG disappoint for me after trying 2 sets, no more for me.

I am a big fan of the 3D- XM's though, but for whatever reason they're just getting harder to come by.
That's too bad. On my C10 I couldn't tell the difference between the Avon 3D-XM and the Spirit ST. No difference in the number of miles either.

Of course, the Spirit ST may or may not work as well on my "new" 2009 C14. We'll see. ;)

I had the Conti Motions, I'm not sure the Roadattacks were even a thing then.

I am cheap I know, but honestly I've found that some of the less expensive tires last just as long & handle just as well as the high end tires. Averaging 3 - 4 sets a year makes a difference, that's not counting a set or two for my Strom.

I had high hopes for the Metzler RoadTec 01, ended up that I couldn't wait to get it off.

Hi Cliff,

I got great mileage out of my Conti Motions last year (about 10K), but not this year. I'm at the 5K mark with this set and the sides look like they are about done, while the centers are just fine. Remember my daily commute is mostly switchback mountain roads and l have a smaller portion that is straight and level on the commute.

I love riding, but I use my C-14 primarily for commuting which is how I got my wife to let me back on a bike in the first place. She got me off of bikes due to safety concerns just over a decade ago, but is going along with this because I am not on the crazy California freeways and it saves money/wear and tear on our more expensive cars. So she tolerates it, but when I spend money on the bike she acts like everything is extraordinary and not normal maintenance. You gotta love the perception of the other half sometimes. Makeup, new clothes, and trips to salon is absolute "essentials" in her world, more than a set a tires a season for Connie? Well that is considered too excessive! :rolleyes:

Keeping that in mind, do you have any replacement suggestions?

Use her "concealer" on your sidewalls. She might change her mind. Or just tell how much safer good tires are.