• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

TN/NC Mountains Trip

eulerc

Moped
What a ride!!!  My first official tour.  Me on my 08 Connie, my dad and two of his buddies on their Wings left Spring Hill, FL on Sunday the 2nd and headed north.  We headed up 129 in FL (you know, just to get us familiar with the 3 numbers  :motonoises:) on into GA before taking GA221 to hook up with 441.  We took that on north through Athens, GA before getting back on 129 to run up to Gainesville for the first nights stop.  We stayed at the Hampton in Gainesville and grabbed some grup and a brew across the street at Wild Wings (not Buffalo Wild Wings).  Very good food!!  We left Gainesville Monday morning and headed up  GA 60 through Dahlonega and on through Suches.  A great ride and pre-cursor for whats to come!  We grabbed some fuel before jumping on GA 68 to make the run up to Tellico Plains, TN.  We stopped by Tellico Plains Motorcycle Outfitters to visit and grab a dog and some ice cream across the street!  (Both shops are owned by a couple originally from the Orlando, FL area.  Great folks with a great gear selection).  After the break we headed for Cherohala Skyway.  We made a quick pit stop at Bald River Falls.  Very serene and another highlight of the trip!  An absolute dream ride across the Cherohala!  We got to our destination of Robbinsville, NC in the late afternoon, popped a celebratory Brew and started a fire in the pit.  We stayed at Philips Motel which has several options for staying indluding the 4 bed, 2 bath "house" that we rented.  The have a fire pit with all the wood you can want.  They also provide some towels for your ride upon arrival if your the clean type.  Tuesday morning brought us to the Dragon!  As luck would have it we were able to meet up Steve J and another one of the other FL Steve's along with the Rev. Ty from Mississippi.  What a great time.  All 7 of us rode the Dragon and basqued in the fun!  After the dragon all of us finished up TN 129 and turned north on Foothills Parkway for some more scenery, and boy did it deliver!  From there we hooked up with TN 321 and took an interesting, but kind of boring detour into Cades Cove.  In my opinion, dont waste your time, on a motorcycle anyway.  Lots of stop and go.  We then ran down and hooked up with TN 337 and made a quick run into Gatlinberg for fuel and grub.  From there we headed back south on 441 which is no road to scough at.  The C10 boys detoured to go see Clingman's Dome while we headed on south to head back for the house for the evening.  More grub and Brew followed!!  Wednesday brought one of the best days of riding that i can think of, minus the Cherohala.  We headed south out of Robbinsville down to 19 and north about 1 mile to Wayah Road.  A nice road that was chip and sealed a few years ago so it has some grooves that will move you around a bit, but still an excellent road with all aspects of the dragon and other roads, with out the traffic.  Wayah dumped us out on NC 64 and we took it all the way East to the town of Brevard, NC and went North on 276.  We then went south on NC215.  This was a very nice road, much like Cherohala!  Probably one of my favorites of the trip!  We took 64 back West before heading north on 107 up to 74 and back West to Robbinsville.  An excellent day with great roads, great scenery and sharing it all with friends.  Thursday brought another exciting day as we headed over to Maggie Valley to the Wheels Through Time museum!!  What a place!!  They were having the annual kickstart rally while we were there too so we got to see lots and lots of old kickstart bikes, mainly harley's, but still it was really cool!!  After leaving the museum we headed back west, hit a short portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway, which turned out to be another one of my favorite roads and then to 28 and rode the Moonshiner 28 down into Walhalla, SC.  A really fun road thats every bit as challenging as the dragon.  That pretty much wrapped up our trip!  We headed south on SC 11 to I-85 and back west to 441 to head south to Dublin, GA where we stayed on Thursday night.  We left at daybreak on Friday and headed south into the Sunshine state trying to race home and beat the rain.  I got back to Otown at about 3:30 on Friday, dry as a bone!!  It was an awesome time!!  I cant wait to go back and do it again! 

My Connie performed flawlessly!!  Absolutely no complaints.  I personally had a left wrist issue that was fixed by adjusting the clutch lever down.  However, I had severe numbness in my right hand that is only today starting to completely go away.  I think that issue will have to be resolved with a posture change when on the bike.  Other than that, no issues.  A total of about 1905 miles and it was awesome!!

Till next year....  :beerchug: :)

Sounds like a great trip. I really enjoy riding there. I went three or four years in a row. So now I'm kind of on break.

Hey Clinton.

Nice write up. Meeting up with y'all as a good time. I found it kinda weird to have a bunch of folks that had never ridden with some of the others to have their first ride together on The Dragon, of all places. It worked out well.

We'll meet up again.

Later.

Nice write up Clinton!

I am heading up there in a few weeks.  I'll have to check out Hwy 276.  The Foothills Pkwy and Cherohala are two of my favorites as well!

I am a bit concerned about the weather in early November.  The original plan was to be there during the time y'all where riding through the mountains.  The weather for your ride looked perfect!

Thanks again for sharing your adventure.