• Do you want to post in the COG forum? Join the club (free limited trial membership available) or upgrade/renew your membership to enjoy full posting privileges.
    For simple instructions, click here
  • Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

To my COG friends

freebird6

Just awesome news. Very happy for you and the Mrs. Pace yourself, do what you need to do the follow the marching orders and get better every day. Prayers

2andblue

Great news Steve thanks for giving is a heads up!!!

As you can and see fit keep us posted; lots of caring folks here - you’re not alone.

Steve in sunny Fla

Iron Butt
Industry Vendor
Glad to hear you are on the mend Steve. Hopefully your surgeon gave you the 2 minute mod and installed overflow tubes while he had you apart - stronger, faster and protected!!

Yeah, I had a drain line in my abdomen, with a sponge on the end. about 1.5 feet of it. felt like they were pulling my guts out when they removed it.

lrbuck

Street Cruiser
Industry Vendor
SNIP>like making that curve by the skin of your teeth. That's what I'm doing now... diving into that curve, and feeling very alive.

Hey man. I thought we fixed that when we were roomies at the Rally........just sayin.

Glad to hear the news, our prayers were answered.

Keep us posted, I'll save a seat for you at the Blast......lo-cal of course.

Larry

connie_rider

Steve called me today. Sounded ok, but tired.
Good to talk with him, but we cut it short so he could rest.

By the way;
Just heard from another COGger. His name is Thorson (Ted) Reichelt. ie; Redline...
(I call him Kuzin' Ted)
He's going in soon to have his Adrenal Gland removed.
(similar reasons as Steve's Adrenal Gland Surgery)

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:

redline

I have thought quite abit about even posting this, but I have learned that folks do better with information than being kept in the dark. I have some information to share.

In late 2015, I developed a sudden onset of high blood pressure. Nothing my Dr did could effectively lower it. He continued trying all kinds of meds and combinations thereof, but nothing worked. By mid 2018, the high BP damaged my heart, I developed AFIB and I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. A cardioversion got me out of AFIB, but the high pressure remained, and nothing helped. In mid 2019, I went back into AFIB, and it has been permanent for over 2 years, despite 2 ablations, several attempts at using some very dangerous drugs, and 7 more attempts at cardioversions. During this time my heart was getting worse and worse, to the point that my DR sent me to the University of Florida for a new (still experimental) open heart surgery. During the workup for the surgery, CT imaging was done, and the results were that I has tumors in my lungs, liver, kidney and adrenal gland. I was very sick at that point - oct 2020 - and figured "this is it". Ultimately more testing was done, and the list was trimmed down to "only" my kidney and adrenal gland having tumors. WHEW! The cardiologist wanted to proceed with the heart surgery, but I had misgivings... I felt that my heart was not the culprit, but instead the symptom. Meanwhile surgery was sceduled for early march 2021 to remove my kidney and adrenal gland, as they are considered cancerous.
As time for the surgery closed, testing on my heart was done to be sure I could tolerate the surgery. My ejection fraction was a solid 15%. If you know about hearts, you know what that means. The surgeon cancelled the surgery as he said he didn't think I would survive it. Well, I've been studying and studying about my situation, and come to find out the cardiologists were being blinded by their specialty, and failed to consider the effects of hormones (adrenal gland) on the heart. I was a PITA to my heart failure DR and told him to stop treating me like his other patients, as I am his only patient with a known adrenal tumor. I found a you tube video by a Harvard endocrinolgy research DR that completely explains my situation, and what I have living through with my heart. I got my DR to put me on a drug the Harvard DR said would resolve the issue - Eplerenone. It blocks aldosterone, which causes the kidneys to retain salt and water, and drives the BP crazy, while wearing out the heart. The medicine has helped so much I've been in cardiac rehab for the last 2.5 months, and have brought my EF up to 20-25%. Not good, but not as bad.
Meanwhile, surgery has been rescheduled, and I go in 3 days from now, Sept 8. My kidney and adrenal gland are going to be removed. There is a team of DR's, as they consider this "high risk" and "complex". They probably hit the lotto with me as a patient in a teaching hospital... my situation is so rare no DR even though to consider it, and it was by luck the tumors were found. The medical people have a word for that - "incidentaloma".
I honestly don't know how this is going to turn out. My heart is the wild card. Nobody knows if I can tolerate 4.5 hours of surgery and anesthesia. There is a special anesthesiologist for that. My surgeon (Dr Su) literally wrote the book on robotic urological surgery. The endocrinologist has made arrangements for specialized drugs to be administered if the adrenal tumor turns out to be a pheochromocytoma and it drops a load of adrenalin on me. The result from that could be stroke / heart attack / death. I'm going to try to avoid that.
Anyways, the bottom line here is what this means to you, my customers. I'm not going to be flashing for ??? I can't give a date. Like I said, I don't know how this is going to turn out. For carburetor customers, I have trained the perfect mechanic to do your carbs, using all my equipment and methods. His name is Kevin, and he does a great job. Don't hold out on carb work waiting for me to come back, just reach out to Kevin, he knows what to do. If you email me, I'll auto response with Kevin's contact information.
For my COG friends... it's been a mostly great and always entertaining ride. I have met some of the best people I know through COG, folks that are and will be lifelong friends. I'm humbled and thankful for that. Hopefully my ride here isn't done, but you never know how a ride is going to end up... that's not a reason to ride a couch. Life is better when you are reminded you're alive... like making that curve by the skin of your teeth. That's what I'm doing now... diving into that curve, and feeling very alive.

Steve
Thanks for sharing and really glad you got through that ordeal. they found a tumor on my adranal gland and have to remove it this 29th. Hope and pray you recover quickly. Ted

TireguyfromMA

STEVE!! Great to hear the surgery went so well and your back home. Now, don't forget...don't take the drowsy meds and the ex-lax meds on the same night.

zarticus

Shit, I'm just reading about this now. I've been on a MC trip in New Hampshire for the past 2 weeks & had not been online. Steve, I'm only a little more than an hour away, If you need help with ANYTHING just let me know & I'll ride up !

Steve in sunny Fla

Iron Butt
Industry Vendor
I have some crazy good news! I have the pathology report... neither tumor is cancerous! Nobody expected this at all, I think I should play the lottery! The kidney tumor is called an "oncocytoma" and from what I understand it resembles renal cell carcinoma and can't be determined until removed and gone through pathology.
The other good news is that I'm finally urinating without needing diuretics, which is a hallmark of heart failure. This supports my theory that the adrenal overload of aldosterone was the culprit wrecking my heart for all these years. I need more time under my belt, but I'm lighter than I was when I came home from the hospital, and haven't had but 1 mg of my diuretic in 9 days, and that was because I was not sure what to expect. I am dealing with a smashed sciatic nerve - a pre-existing issue - as I layed on the nerve for about 6 hours during the surgery. I'ts been 3X more painful than any of the surgery, but it's subsiding now with lots of ice applications.
This whole deal could have gone in a much worse direction, but this news is so good it's better than any of the scenarios I had considered. I'm truly thankful for a skilled surgeon, it looks like I have a strong shot to get better now. :)
Steve

mattmagee3096

Years ago, an ER doc diagnosed me with lymphoma. Turned out to be mono (long story). The feeling of relief when someone tells you its not cancer is like nothing else.

Always happy to hear good news.

2andblue

This whole deal could have gone in a much worse direction, but this news is so good it's better than any of the scenarios I had considered. I'm truly thankful for a skilled surgeon, it looks like I have a strong shot to get better now. :)
Steve
Steve this is miraculous news, awesome!

This result seemed furthest from anyone’s mind just 10 days ago - think of where you’ll be in a month!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

ONOBob

I have some crazy good news! I have the pathology report... neither tumor is cancerous! Nobody expected this at all, I think I should play the lottery! The kidney tumor is called an "oncocytoma" and from what I understand it resembles renal cell carcinoma and can't be determined until removed and gone through pathology.
The other good news is that I'm finally urinating without needing diuretics, which is a hallmark of heart failure. This supports my theory that the adrenal overload of aldosterone was the culprit wrecking my heart for all these years. I need more time under my belt, but I'm lighter than I was when I came home from the hospital, and haven't had but 1 mg of my diuretic in 9 days, and that was because I was not sure what to expect. I am dealing with a smashed sciatic nerve - a pre-existing issue - as I layed on the nerve for about 6 hours during the surgery. I'ts been 3X more painful than any of the surgery, but it's subsiding now with lots of ice applications.
Steve

Excellent news.
Praise God.
Bob

texas.devops902

Eager Upshifter in SW Houston
Steve

Partially parlaying another thread with the Warren Zevon video where he said "...enjoy every sandwich..." as this is sooooo ripe for a mashup.

SISF Zevon is telling us to "...enjoy every pee..." because ya never quite know when you won't be able to. LOL

So happy to hear that you're on the mend Steve! Take yer time and heal up the right way.

Peace mano! AB

Steve in sunny Fla

Iron Butt
Industry Vendor
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the support. I'm still pretty beat, but it's time to get back to work. If You need any of my services, please email, I'm ready!

Steve

connie_rider

Steve
Just saw this... (Non Cancerous)
That's,,, Great news!!!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the support. I'm still pretty beat, but it's time to get back to work. If You need any of my services, please email, I'm ready!

Steve
Just saw this too; You "already" feel like working...
This is,,, Better news!!!

Ride safe, Ted <Glad your feeling better...>

Last edited:

freebird6

Steve,
All great news. Sometimes prayers go answered. Now get better soon and I’ll be the first one in line to get my Connie flashed.
getting right in line behind you. Just got a new to me 18 that had 2K miles on it 5 months out of the dealer. Having to ride it unflashed is a wake up call. GOing back and forth between the 2 is sometimes a bit unsettling and unpredictable.

Last edited: