• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

top five tips for experienced rider new to the C14?

weeniedogmom

Tricycle
^-^
Picking up my 2008 C14 ABS on Saturday and will not have the benefit of flipping through the manual or picking the brain of the previous owner before riding it home only about 45 miles.
Anyone care to help out a newbie with a few pointers before I hit the road?

Thanks in advance.
Laura

First off, Welcome to the forum Laura.

The C14 is tall, heavy, and a bit top heavy. So at slow speeds they (like most sport tours) are a bit of a handful. So be very careful in slow speed maneuvers while you get use to it. The C14 is a powerful bike, but fairly tame. Just respect the throttle. Leave the bike in gear when you shut it off and let the bike roll until stopped before setting it on the side stand. A lot of Concours go over getting on or off the bike, or in slow speed maneuvers.
The mirrors on the 08 are just a bit low. This forces you to look down into the mirrors just a bit. So although the mirrors are not bad. Look around on your own to get a good view of whats around you. Also the 2008 C14 came with two KIPASS fobs. Make sure that you get them both! Then when you get home read the manual. Then you'll probably have a bunch more questions. We have a pretty good forum here. Try doing a search in the C14 bike or C14 accessory, or other forum sections with some of the questions. You can learn a lot about the bike, safety and other info just by doing searches. If you don't get them that way to your satisfaction. Well then just ask the question in the appropriate forum. We have a pretty helpful bunch on here.
Good luck and have fun.

P.S. does it have an extended warranty? It could be good peace of mind for you if it does.

+1 what Bob says. 

I guess all you really need to know initially is how to start the bike.  Basically, make sure you have the fob on your person, then press down on the key to activate KiPass. You will see a symbol on the display. Then you can turn the key to the on position and start normally.

If I might make a suggestion, from what I've learned on my c10 - You might want to only fill the tank 1/2 way for at least the first few trips.  That gas tank is a major contributor to the top-heavy nature of the bike. Better safe than sorry. :)

To go a little further on the slow speed riding, if the handle bars are turned either side, do not grab a handful of front brake, you will be joining the CDA club.  :eek:

Congratulation and welcome to the forum

^-^
If you're used to an older, tamer bike, you might consider the throttle twitchy.  However, twitchy is not the same as unpredictable or uncontrollable.  I think of it as subtle:  fine or delicate in meaning or intent.  It doesn't take much twist to get up and go.

Also, most folks are really surprised to see how fast they're going after cranking it through the gears (I was).  It'll do 100mph in 3rd and still have more to give.  Not suggesting you shouldn't open Connie up but you should know about what it'll do ahead of time.

In short order, you'll be comfortable with both of these attributes.  It's a great bike.  Have a ball.

Lotsa great info. Thanks so much. Keep it coming if you think of something.  I'll let you know how it goes after a week or so.

^-^
Laura,

So how was the ride? Where in the SE are you? In the Atlanta area? Come to our Connie 3rd Thursday dinners at Roccos in Marietta.

Have fun on the bike and be safe.

Phil
'99 'lectric

Hi Phil- do I surmise correctly that the dinner happens every third Thursday of the month at Roccos? Exactly where is it? I am in Marietta but am not familiar with Roccos...

Rock said:
^-^
Laura,

So how was the ride? Where in the SE are you? In the Atlanta area? Come to our Connie 3rd Thursday dinners at Roccos in Marietta.

Have fun on the bike and be safe.

Phil
'99 'lectric