• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Touring tool kit specific to C-14

headstill2172

Hey COG,
I am getting ready for some LD touring. I tried to comb the search but had no luck to find this question. Has anyone put together a comprehensive list of C-14 specific tools to carry on long tours? Everything matters when touring to me: space, necessity, weight, quality all come to mind when choosing tools. If someone could share a picture of their kit it or add to the list below would be helpful.
I have secured:
-12v tire pump with gauge, wired with battery tender leads
-tire plugs
-plug tool
-3 Allen wench sizes (not sure size just know they all are used on my bike)
- needle nose pliers
- zip ties
- small roll of duct tape
- 2 stainless 1" hose clamps
- 1 screw driver JIS tip, flat head tip with nut driver (front fender size)
- small flat head for the push rivets
- a few plastic rivets
- a few small socket head button cap screws (2 sizes all over the faring's of the bike)
- a jumper cable with battery tender leads
- credit card
- Kawasaki extended warranty card with roadside assistance phone#
- a Tupperware type container to keep all in one place

Anything to add?

@headstill2172 an emergency power source is becoming a more frequently carried item. May consider it an inessential but when you’ve killed your battery from leaving the lights on it will be a lifesaver.
They’re light, small and can also be used for powering / charging other items - I have yet to get one and will be sorry if I don’t I just know it… 🙄

Although not a frequent problem with these machines - a selection of spare fuses.

For some consumables; I like to bring on longer trips (triple bagged to prevent any mess) some oil and brake fluid. Brake fluid you should never lose but if a leak develops this can get you to the next town. Then depending on distance and conditioning of machine 1/2 qt of oil consumption assuming multiple thousand miles may not be out of the question.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

The 3,4, and 5mm Allen’s cover most fasteners. I always have some 550 parachute cord with me. It is extremely strong and packs away easily. I also have a razor blade with the edge side covered in duct tape as it cuts most anything and packs more tightly than a knife. A few feet of wire (16 ga is fine) can be a life saver to temporarily fix electrical problems. Some spare fuses should be in your kit too. Ari has a nice short video on this subject as well…

Revzilla Touring Toolkit

THat is a really good start up there. I like it. Have followed this Toolkit thread over on ADVRider for years. https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/the-toolkit-thread.262998/ . That goes to page 477. If you want to go through it you will have to set some time aside. ADV riders have to be pretty compact and very resourceful but I like that you put this one specific to OUR bikes. Thanks

My toolkit is snuggled in the tube under the left bag. Hopefully I will not need it but when I am working on the bike in the barn it has always been easy to get to....

toolkit.jpg

Last edited:
THat is a really good start up there. I like it. Have followed this Toolkit thread over on ADVRider for years. https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/the-toolkit-thread.262998/ . That goes to page 477. If you want to go through it you will have to set some time aside. ADV riders have to be pretty compact and very resourceful but I like that you put this one specific to OUR bikes. Thanks

My toolkit is snuggled in the tube under the left bag. Hopefully I will not need it but when I am working on the bike in the barn it has always been easy to get to....

View attachment 35839
That picture looks an awful lot like being on M57 going across Michigan.

First two pics right-side bag. That has the plug kit/pump plus tools to take the tires off ( I made a hex/bolt to fit the front axle ). Also the little Grey bag has extra wire splice connectors a test light and a Fuse or two.
20230511_105359.jpg20230511_105711.jpg

Last edited:
These next two are of the leftside bag. The red box is some first-aid items and a TQ if needed. The tool bag has wreches/sockets and allen bits to fit what i need. There is some paracord and a way to start a fire if needed. Too much probably so? I spend a lot of time in the desert exploring in a SxS by myself so I tend to pack like I'm out there. Also new for this year is a garmin inreach messenger ( to keep the wife happy ) on the road or in the desert. How much of this have i used since owning this bike? Nothing pretty much on this bike other peoples bikes ( non Kaw ) some of it. One other thing pack extra water and a good CC just in case.20230511_105905.jpg20230511_110058.jpg

These next two are of the leftside bag. The red box is some first-aid items and a TQ if needed. The tool bag has wreches/sockets and allen bits to fit what i need. There is some paracord and a way to start a fire if needed. Too much probably so? I spend a lot of time in the desert exploring in a SxS by myself so I tend to pack like I'm out there. Also new for this year is a garmin inreach messenger ( to keep the wife happy ) on the road or in the desert. How much of this have i used since owning this bike? Nothing pretty much on this bike other peoples bikes ( non Kaw ) some of it. One other thing pack extra water and a good CC just in case.View attachment 35843View attachment 35844
Thanks for sharing, I see some redundant things, but you roaming in the desert warrants all of that stuff. Really like the cargo bungee nets on the doors, didn't even notice the loops on the door, ordering now.

@headstill2172 an emergency power source is becoming a more frequently carried item. May consider it an inessential but when you’ve killed your battery from leaving the lights on it will be a lifesaver.
They’re light, small and can also be used for powering / charging other items - I have yet to get one and will be sorry if I don’t I just know it… 🙄

Although not a frequent problem with these machines - a selection of spare fuses.

For some consumables; I like to bring on longer trips (triple bagged to prevent any mess) some oil and brake fluid. Brake fluid you should never lose but if a leak develops this can get you to the next town. Then depending on distance and conditioning of machine 1/2 qt of oil consumption assuming multiple thousand miles may not be out of the question.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Absolutely. I am still dialing in my power source for the trip. Those battery jumper types are impressive.

Thanks for sharing, I see some redundant things, but you roaming in the desert warrants all of that stuff. Really like the cargo bungee nets on the doors, didn't even notice the loops on the door, ordering now.
Those nets are from a goldwing trunk mount nets if I remember correctly?

A 3s lipo for a RC car paired with your jumper cables makes an excellent motorcycle jumper for very little $.
WHAT THE WHAT?!?!

This is exactly why I gravitate to the people who ride the C-14, who use all of their resourses and think outside the box, and being efficient with our money. Yes, I/we could buy a K1600 but the only upside to me is a little more luxury and saying/showing I drive a BMW which means less than nothing to me, certainly not 3 times the value of my C-14. Thank you, I don't have a clue what a 3s lipo is (battery) but I know what a RC car is and will find out the rest.

I know nuuuuu-thing about these, so I did a little searching.
They come in various mAH ratings. {I assume you would want the highest possible}?
They have 2 pigtails on them. (What's the second used for)?
I don't think they could be used to jump the bike due to wire size. (Just to add some juice to the battery)?

Awesome idea. I'm guessing you could also put a battery tender type end on the 3s lipo to hook to your battery or is the wire too thin to work as a jumper?
I wouldn't use the tender lead. I would attach it with jumper cables. Those little lipos have jumpstarted my car before. They will dump serious current. Use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLVLCVW3/

I carry the correct allen socket and 27mm (IIRC) socket so I am able to remove each wheel. I carry more stuff than I will ever need, but it's there in case I can help the other guy.

Anything to add?
I carry, have used AAA "Premier RV" road coverage. In addition to 200 mile prepaid towing (to where ever you specify [maybe to a COG member?], not just nearest commercial repair facility), there are worst case trip interruption financial benefits. Suggest join in advance to give time to receive member card and coverage benefit info in mail (10 days?).

I used to carry a slime pump until it left me in Yak, Mt. Fortunately I had enough air left after I plugged it to backtrack to a station. It served me well about 4 times. The switch died and I broke the pump trying to fix it along the road. I upped my pump game

FWIW, if you have time, I would use your tool kit to do the maintenance items you plan to do on the road. When I did this it changed what tools I placed in the kit. For me, it is easier to work with less than ideal tools (the light, small or compact ones in the kit) in my shop, than it is on the road (no lift, rain, dark, hot, cold, etc.). After using my tool kit for standard maintenance it changed what I packed in my kit.

I wanted to get in on the jump start battery talk. I have hobby grade RC cars, and i have a jump pack. I would buy a jump pack before I rigged up an rc car battery. The you can get a car style jump battery (its also a lipo type) for around $75. the rc battery packs cost around $125. I've used the car type 7 times and still had half the power left. The only engine my small one wouldn't do is a 6.7 liter diesel

Not sure it qualifies as tooling, but I also pack a pair of soft ties, because I just know that if I ever need a tow truck, the driver won't have any.
I can see him trying to hook up chains and hooks to my handlebars in my nightmares. :eek:
First thing I did after attending the session in Johnson City on trailering and tying down the bike was find a set of soft ties to loop around the triple tree in case I ever had to have it towed. Folded flat under a loop in my tool kit.