• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

TPMS Sensors Reinstall Question

gp74

The 09 I bought doesn't have TPMS sensors, they've apparently been removed. I'm wondering what the process is to get TPMS back onboard. Obviously I'd have to purchase two sensors. Don't know if I'd have to buy OEM sensors, really way over priced, or if I could get the cheapers sensors used in the modification discussed elsewhere in the forum. Then....how would the sensors be paired to my bike's ECU for it to recognize them? Any info would be much appreciated.

Greg

There are 2 ways to proceed: a. get someone with KDS (dealer probably) to read the original sensor ID F&R from the ECU then get pair of Autel programmable sensors and give them those ID numbers with appropriate equipment. b. buy a pair of suitable Mazda sensors that come with ID and get KDS operator to program those new ones into the ECU. 315 MHz in North America, 434 elsewhere.

Thanks for the info Freddy. So basically...I just need to get the Autel or Mazda 3 sensors...give them to the dealer along with their ID numbers then they can install and program into the ECU with the KDS system? If so, I'm getting the runaround from my local dealer, they're acting like it can't be done. Another dealer about 50 miles aways says their technician thinks it won't work without Kawi OEM sensors, but they're willing to try. Smdh.

If you want to stay with the Kawasaki seniors you can purchase sensors on ebay. They show up there from time to time. If I remember correctly the ID number for pairing to the ECU is on the circuit board inside the sensor. They you have someone with a KDS sensor pair it for you.

Yes. The Mazda sensors have the 8 digit ID printed on them. They come is 315 & 433 frequency. My bike takes 433 (non-USA). The valve stem is slightly longer than the newer potted Kaw sensors so you may need an angled adapter to get air in at some locations.

Just a side note: I've been 'playing' with sensors and KDS on my bike for some years in order to find what would work on 433MHz. The first batch of sensors I got off ebay from China had a different ID than was printed on them when checked with a code reader, so I used the displayed ID not the printed ID - and they worked perfectly. (I did not try using the printed ID but I may try it later just to see the result, as I still have a couple.) The second batch of Mazda 433 sensors from a different ebay supplier had the same ID as was printed on them when read with a code reader. As you Yanks are apt to say: go figure!

Last edited:
Yes. The Mazda sensors have the 8 digit ID printed on them. They come is 315 & 433 frequency. My bikes takes 433 (non-USA). The valve stem is slightly longer than the newer potted Kaw sensors so you may need an angled adapter to get air in at some locations.

Just a side note: I've been 'playing' with sensors and KDS on my bike for some years in order to find what would work on 433MHz. The first batch of sensors I got off ebay from China had a different ID than was printed on them when checked with a code reader, so I used the displayed ID not the printed ID - and they worked perfectly. (I did not try using the printed ID but I may try it later just to see the result, as I still have a couple.) The second batch of Mazda 433 sensors from a different ebay supplier had the same ID as was printed on them when read with a code reader. As you Yanks are apt to say: go figure!
So, I don't have TPMS sensors in the bike now, just normal valve stems. The KDS system will still be able to know what ID value to program the new Mazda 3 sensors to as long as they know the Mazda sensor's ID? Sorry if this is a bit redundant, but my confusion is that there are no TPMS sensors on the bike now for the KDS system to have a sensor ID number for the bike. I guess sensors onboard or not, the correct sensor ID for the bike is stored in the ECU and able to be retrieved by the KDS?

Last edited:
Removing the sensors from the bike does not remove their ID number from the KIPASS ECU where they are stored. As long as those numbers have not been previously deleted from KIPASS with KDS, which is highly unlikely, they will be visible with KDS and can be programmed into new programmable sensors using the correct Autel apparatus - in which case, when the sensors are fitted the dash will display the PSI. These ones are in Australia but you can get em locally there. They don't come with ID because you either give them the original ID, or use the Autel apparatus code reader thingy to generate and apply a new ID to it and then use KDS to enter it into KIPASS - follow?

The simpler alternative for you tho, is to get Mazda 3 sensors of 315MHz (if in North America) which have an 8 digit ID on them starting with a zero, and have their ID numbers programmed into KIPASS with KDS - it's simpler as you just fit em, enter their ID (ensuring the KDS operators knows which one went in F&R) and ride away to discover they will be display after about 2 minutes when you select it from the dash menu.

The KDS system will still be able to know what ID value to program the new Mazda 3 sensors to as long as they know the Mazda sensor's ID?
Yes.

Note that not all sensors are equal even tho they use the correct frequency - frequency is just one of the determining factors of compatibility.

Last edited:
Removing the sensors from the bike does not remove their ID number from the KIPASS ECU where they are stored. As long as those numbers have not been previously deleted from KIPASS with KDS, which is highly unlikely, they will be visible with KDS and can be programmed into new programmable sensors using the correct Autel apparatus - in which case, when the sensors are fitted the dash will display the PSI. These ones are in Australia but you can get em locally there. They don't come with ID because you either give them the original ID, or use the Autel apparatus code reader thingy to generate and apply a new ID to it and then use KDS to enter it into KIPASS - follow?

The simpler alternative for you tho, is to get Mazda 3 sensors of 315MHz (if in North America) which have an 8 digit ID on them starting with a zero, and have their ID numbers programmed into KIPASS with KDS - it's simpler as you just fit em, enter their ID (ensuring the KDS operators knows which one went in F&R) and ride away to discover they will be display after about 2 minutes.

The KDS system will still be able to know what ID value to program the new Mazda 3 sensors to as long as they know the Mazda sensor's ID?
Yes.

Note that not all sensors are equal even tho they use the correct frequency - frequency is just one of the determining factors of compatibility.
Great info! That really simplifies it for me. Will pick up the Mazda Sensors and have them program into KIPASS. Thanks again, much appreciated!

I just followed my nose 4 years ago on the 433 path from what was started by gildaguz in Miami on the other forum. He deserves the credit. Others have also added to the knowledge base along the way.

Thank goodness the OEM sensors have the frequency & ID on the label. I'm going to ciontinue replacing the batteries in my '08 sensors as long as they keep working, but it's nice to know the Mazda 3 protocol works with the Concours if the OEM sensors ever need replacing.

Thank goodness the OEM sensors have the frequency & ID on the label. I'm going to ciontinue replacing the batteries in my '08 sensors as long as they keep working, but it's nice to know the Mazda 3 protocol works with the Concours if the OEM sensors ever need replacing.
The older ones have the ID on them. Do the latter potted ones have them on also?

Yes but a 5 digit number. Three zeros must be added to the start of the number to make it work when using KDS to register them into KIPASS. I've twice tried to replace the potted batteries, the second time successfully but I wouldn't do it again. They are a PIA to work on and is obviously why Kaw changed to them from the LD sensors.

I borrowed the tool pictured. I could only scan by choosing a model. I chose the Mazda3. I cannotget the front to read. Cold in shop so battery may be to cold. Pic shows reading from rear but the id isnt what it says on the sensor.
Front is new style, the rear is old style.

Attachments

• PXL_20230105_213304058.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230105_213304058.MP.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20230105_213502751~2.jpg
    PXL_20230105_213502751~2.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
This is the rear one. Took pic when I changed battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230105-200813.png
    Screenshot_20230105-200813.png
    508.9 KB · Views: 45
The scanner has a place to manually input the hex so if I have the numbers I could set up some of the autels I think. I am a complete noob at thisšŸ˜„

Attachments

• PXL_20230106_021258032.jpg
    PXL_20230106_021258032.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 38
Something doesn't add up. 000F7C8B is what the reader shows for rear sensor but 0811587E is what's printed on it. I don't know how that could happen - very curious - but I have had some cheap Mazda sensors display a different ID from what's printed on them. Not sure why - so it remains a conundrum .

Something doesn't add up. 000F7C8B is what the reader shows for rear sensor but 0811587E is what's printed on it. I don't know how that could happen - very curious - but I have had some cheap Mazda sensors display a different ID from what's printed on them. Not sure why - so it remains a conundrum .
With this model I had to set it up to a specific vehicle to scan so I chose the Mazda 3. I couldn't just get it to scan without choosing a vehicle. So maybe not accurate?

You are correct Freddy, it didnt add up.Mystery solved! The old sensor was in the front, so the id I had a pic of was for the front not the rear. My reading for the rear may be correct!
I pulled the tire to the side and removed the front today. Installed a new battery and tested it with the twirling method. Autel is on the way. Plan is to program it to the front and then test. If it works I will have a backup. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for all the help.

Got my autel sensor today. I put a new battery in the old one and could get the info off it ( I could have manually put in the id). So far so good. Went to program it and it wouldnt read the new one.
Got the disc from my buddy and the log in unfo. Updated and tried again. Bingo. Took less than 5 minutes.
Neither will read with the spin test though but I think they will work.

Attachments

• PXL_20210713_234743923.jpg
    PXL_20210713_234743923.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20230117_002750207.jpg
    PXL_20230117_002750207.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 42