• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Triumph raises the bar

Fred H.

Triumph threw down the gauntlet. They have essentially said to Kawasaki

"I'll see your electric windshield and ABS/traction control, TPMS, and raise you:

Integrated Cruise Control
Ride by wire throttle (boo - hiss)
Saddlebags that can move with bumps (spring mounted?)
Heated seats
Adjustable rider seat
Blue tooth (A2DP)
USB/Ipod connectivity
Iphone compatible
Audio system with built in speakers
Electrically adjustable suspension settings

Maybe this will prompt Kawasaki to add some more features to the C14 in the near future...

I'm happy to see someone finally put a factory cruise control on a sport tourer (besides BMW). Maybe this will force some of the other manufactures to follow suit. It will be real interesting to see this bike up close and personal when it is released. I have a long time riding buddy that has an old 96 Trophy, and I suspect he will be upgrading soon. I hope to talk him into letting me test ride it.

Personally, I'd have to get the SE model with all the toys on it. Haven't seen any estimated price yet though. My guess would put it at around the $16K - $18K mark.

http://motorcycling.speedtv.com/article/bikes-reveal-triumph-enters-touring-segment-with-the-new-1215cc-trophy

16311.jpg

6.9 gal. tank too.

Had a Triumph dealer tell me back in December that something to challenge the C-14 was coming down the pike, but he gave no details.

The Pope said:
6.9 gal. tank too.

Had a Triumph dealer tell me back in December that something to challenge the C-14 was coming down the pike, but he gave no details.

Yea, and with a 6 speed tranny. Truimph really did their homework. My only worry is how that three cylinder engine will compare in power. Everything else about it looks really sweet, except of course the ride-by-wire throttle. I'm not a  big fan of that at all.

It sounds real nice. Maybe too much stuff again, which might add unnecessary weight. No mention of any ridiculous key systems.  :great:

This may force others to start offering CC on the sport tours. If not, them may lose sales to triumph. One thing for sure though. I would not buy the first year of any new motorcycle. I made that mistake once. And it was the most unreliable bike I ever owned. By the second or third year, the bikes should have most of any bugs worked out. But then the other manufactureres will be offering new  or redone models to compete.

**Yawn** If I wanted this I would have spent 22k and bought that BMW 1200RT. Im sure this bike will be closer in price to the BMW then the Kawasaki. Don't get me wrong, nice bike but I love my Kawasaki and I doubt another BMW clone will change that. Been there did that...

John

I don't know, it sounds like very direct competition for the Sport tours on the market. At 662lbs wet weight (without panniers), it sounds lighter than the C14 to me. (guessing that the panniers probably weight 30lbs, but 6.6gallons of fuel would weigh over 40lbs. Plus it already has CC, audio and a few other goodies OEM that folks might add to their bikes now. Where as the K1600 probably weights substantially more. And going buy the pricing on the Sprint. I have a feeling that this bike might end up in the same ball park as most of the sport tours. I guess we'll see.

S P E C I F I C A T I O N S - T R O P H Y / S E
ENGINE AND TR ANSMI SSION
Type Liquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder
Capacity 1215cc
Bore/Stroke 85 x 71.4mm
Fuel System Ride by wire, fuel injection
Exhaust Stainless steel 3 into 1, side mounted stainless steel silencer
Final Drive Shaft Drive
Clutch Wet Multi-Plate
Gearbox 6 Speed Constant Mesh
Oil Capacity 4.0 litres (1.1 US gals)
CHASSIS, RUNNING GEAR AND DISPLAYS
Frame Aluminum beam twin-spar
Swingarm Single-sided, cast aluminum alloy with shaft drive
Wheels
Front Cast aluminum 5-spoke 17 x 3.5in
Rear Cast aluminum 5-spoke 17 x 6.0in
Tires
Front 120/70 ZR17
Rear 190/55 ZR17
Suspension
Front
WP 43mm upside down forks, manually adjustable rebound
damping, with 130mm travel. WP 43mm upside down forks,
electronically adjustable rebound damping (sport/normal/
comfort) with 127mm travel
Rear
WP monoshock with remote oil reservoir, manually adjustable
hydraulic preload, manually adjustable rebound damping, 120mm
rear wheel travel. WP monoshock with remote oil reservoir,
electronically adjustable hydraulic preload (1up, 1up+luggage,
2up), electronically adjustable rebound damping (sport, normal,
comfort), 120mm rear wheel travel
Brakes
Front Twin 320mm floating discs, Nissin 4-piston calipers, linked brakes
(front brakes partially activated by rear), ABS (non-switchable)
Rear Single 282mm disc, Nissin 2-piston sliding caliper, ABS (nonswitchable)
Front Brake Master Cylinder Nissin integrated reservoir master cylinder 14mm diameter
Instrument Display/Functions
Dual analogue gauges (speedometer and tachometer) with multifunction
dot matrix LCD to display trip information with ambient
light level brightness compensation, dual trip computers (1 with
adjustable automatic reset), audio system information, TES status,
TPMS status, fuel gauge, range to empty indication, service
indicator, gear position indication, clock, air temperature, frost
warning and accessory heated seats/grips status display, hazard
warning light button, cruise control status, headlight position
adjustment and scroll button on handlebars
DIM ENSIONS AND CAPACITI ES
Length 2235mm (87.9in)
Width (handlebars) 975mm (38.4in)
Height without mirrors 1435mm (56.5in) - 1555mm (61.2in)
Seat Height 770mm (30.3in) - 790mm (31.1in)
Wheelbase 1542mm (60.7in)
Rake/Trail 27.0º / 119.0mm
Fuel Tank Capacity 26 litres (6.9 US gals)
Wet Weight (without panniers) 301kg (662lbs)
Pannier Capacity (per side) 31 litres (8.2 US gals)
Pannier Max Load (per side) 10kg (22lbs)
PERFORMANCE (Measured at crankshaft to 95/1/EC)
Maximum Power 134PS / 132bhp / 99kW @ 8900rpm
Maximum Torque 120Nm / 89ft.lbs @ 6450rpm

I applaud triumph. They saw a added market and went for it. This will force Kawasaki to step up to the plate, and make a better c14. Alibate a price incrice.

I loved the powertrain and the handling of my '09 Sprint 1050 ST.  I really only traded it in for the C14 because of Kawi's far better packaging - bigger panniers, electric windscreen, rock solids mirrors, etc.  Looks like Triumph has remedied all those issues and upped the ante some more.  The 30.3in low seat height alone is enough for me to defect back to Triumph.  I've always loved the triple's power characteristics - just the perfect balance between twin's torquiness and I4's high-revving power, without twin's low-RPM power pulsing or I4's buzziness.  1215cc is plenty engine for me, as I never felt the 1050cc needed more.

Still... I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person and after a test ride.  It remains to be seen whether Triumph has made it too "soft" like the K1600GTL.  I like comfort and convenience, but not at the expense of sportiness.

BR said:
I applaud triumph. They saw a added market and went for it. This will force Kawasaki to step up to the plate, and make a better c14. Alibate a price incrice.

I really don't think that Kawasaki thinks Triumph is a real competitor. I would think that Kawasaki considers Yamaha and Honda as their real competition. Triumph has a very limited dealership network very simular to BMW. Triumph built this to compete with BMW. Consider this, in my area the two Triumph dealerships I have within an hour from me are sold along side BMW's...

John...

itnetpro said:
BR said:

I really don't think that Kawasaki thinks Triumph is a real competitor. I would think that Kawasaki considers Yamaha and Honda as their real competition. Triumph has a very limited dealership network very simular to BMW. Triumph built this to compete with BMW. Consider this, in my area the two Triumph dealerships I have within an hour from me are sold along side BMW's...

John...

Maybe, maybe not. I have four Triumph dealers within an hour. Three of them within 30 miles of my house, one 45 miles. But the closest BMW dealer is at least 45 miles or more away. Where as Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda dealers are also in close proximity of my home (more so that Triumph though).

Hasn't anybody noticed that this has a shaft drive? This is huge IMO, all of the previous Triumph sport-tourers were chainies.

Dan

Bergmen said:
Hasn't anybody noticed that this has a shaft drive? This is huge IMO, all of the previous Triumph sport-tourers were chainies.

Dan
It's similar, if not the exact same drive train as the Tiger Explorer - 1215cc triple with shaftie - which has been out for a while now.

Also, the Tiger Explorer has a 950W generator, which if carried over would be another huge plus.

MidlifeCrisis said:
Bergmen said:

Dan
It's similar, if not the exact same drive train as the Tiger Explorer - 1215cc triple with shaftie - which has been out for a while now.

Bergmen said:

Dan

If they hadn't put a shaft on it, I probably wouldn't even have bothered to post this as competition to the C14. Without a shaft, it's just another sport bike with bags, which is why I never really got very interested in the previous Trophy model.

MidlifeCrisis said:
Bergmen said:

Dan

Wow, shows how out of touch I am on Triumphs. I have always admired their bikes since they re-invented themselves but always lamented the fact that all were chain drives. I just stopped paying attention I guess.

Dan

Yep,
When seeing the ADV version at the IMS was just waiting  :c002: (years now since the pre news of a new sport tourer)

Bergmen said:

Dan

My Triumph buddy has a 2010 Sprint, coming off a 2002 Sprint. He had an older Trophy that he dumped almost immediately after buying it. He said he will not consider the new Trophy because of the weight. The Sprint is at least 200 lbs. lighter. Otherwise he likes it.

the Tiger lists for 15699. Based on the new features added to the Trophy SE, it's going to be considerably more. Probably into ST1300 territory- 18k and up.

Still, looks like a nice bike.

gsun said:
My Triumph buddy has a 2010 Sprint, coming off a 1992 Sprint. He had an older Trophy that he dumped almost immediately after buying it. He said he will not consider the new Trophy because of the weight. The Sprint is at least 200 lbs. lighter. Otherwise he likes it.

The weight on the Sprint has me interested enough to be doing some research...

Actually, the latest iterations of the Sprint is not 200lbs lighter.  My '09 Sprint ST 1050 was about 100 lbs less than the C14 or '13 Trophy.  Maybe it's because of the tall seat and under-tail muffler, Sprint seemed to carry its weight up high and feel top heavy.  Once underway though, it feels nimble and much more like, well... a sport bike.  Unlike the C14, which take careful clutch/throttle coordination to minimize the shaft drive lag, the Sprint's powertrain is very easy to drive smoothly.  Then again, I didn't much like having to clean the chain drive constantly.  I'll take a maintenance-free shafite on a sport tourer any day, gear lash or not.

The newest Sprint GT fixed several of the common complaints from Sprint ST owners - larger panniers, better integrated pannier attachment, relocated the undertail muffler, flatter seat, etc.  But the niche Sprint serves is just too small part of an already small sport tourer market segment.  The Triumph rep at the 2011 IMS show told me that the Sprint GT's days are numbered, because buyers in this segment overwhelmingly want shaft drive, plain a simple.  They don't see one on your bike, they move on.

I meant a 2002 Sprint, not 1992. My bad. The weight of that bike is about 450 dry. And you are correct, the newer version is about 530 lbs. Still, a good deal less that the 14. And the chain - my buddy came for a ride and he has an automatic oiler. The back of the bags were splattered with oil at the end of the day!