• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Updated FJR?

Cap'n Bob

Page 24 of the July 2012 issue of Motorcyclist magazine has a short article on this. Obviously the FJR has only had very minor changes since the last updates on the 2006 Gen II FJR. Well the Motorcyclist article suggests:  "Information from Europe suggests the FJR might finally get upgraded this year, adapting technology from the YZF-R1 sport-bike in a larger-displacement, 1,400cc engine."  It goes on to have a nice little article to get your interest. But of course lacks enough defined information to really get your blood flowing.
  It all sounds good (if true). It's nice to have options when riding sport tour motorcycles. And the beauty of competition is keeping up with the Jones. It forces the manufacturers to update and improve their offerings to compete for sales. It's a win-win for us all. Hopefully they will walk a fine line between technological advances and simplicity and reliability.
    Sometimes less is more. That's why I am really eye balling a Ninja 1000 right now.  A capable bike that has less BS, and less weight. The down side of the Ninja would be dealing with a chain again. Not a really major down side. But extra maintenance to keep it clean and working optimally.

Of course a chain will never be as clean or quiet as a shaft drive, and will always require more attention but you can really help yourself along if you add an automatic chain oiler to a brand new bike. Some long distance guys are approaching 40K miles on a chain and set of sprockets, and that is with a big bike (Hayabusa) heavily loaded. Like I said, it is not the end- all, be- all but a chain oiler really does go a long way to making a chain drive bike require less attention and increase the chain's lifespan.

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
<snip>

The down side of the Ninja would be dealing with a chain again. Not a really major down side. But extra maintenance to keep it clean and working optimally.

Honestly, the key to rear chain drives that last and are quiet is to fully enclose them. Back in the early sixties, most of the Japanese bikes (especially Honda) had fully enclosed chains. When the CB series was first introduced, the full enclosure was not included probably for looks.

I would not mind a fully enclosed chain, especially on a touring bike since the saddlebags and exhaust would make the "looks" a moot point. If they went further and included a lubrication system (a small oil bath perhaps) all the better.

Dan

WillyP said:
Hey, you know someone converted a Connie to chain, why not convert a Ninja to shaft?

Even if the engine were capable of it (and I am not sure that it is) the frame would have to be such as to accept a shaft drive swing arm. Almost certainly it would require major modifications to do so. I'd rather have the new Steroid Injected Feejer.

Dan

And in a pinch you can use it as a weapon to fend off the bear in the middle of Montana after you run out of gas (you will only understand this if you've been paying attention this morning).

Attachments

• hunterrunningfrombearlgclr5ju.gif
    hunterrunningfrombearlgclr5ju.gif
    35.9 KB · Views: 307
Finally got my Motorcyclist last night and saw the article. Looks great. I wonder if the top case will be standard? Probably not. I bought the Connie over an FJR based 95% on it's size. I hope the make it bigger this time. It's just so small.....of course you guys under 6' probably like it that way.

Kinetic1 said:
Finally got my Motorcyclist last night and saw the article. Looks great. I wonder if the top case will be standard? Probably not. I bought the Connie over an FJR based 95% on it's size. I hope the make it bigger this time. It's just so small.....of course you guys under 6' probably like it that way.

Funny you would say that. But yes, I'm under 6' and I like the size better on the FJR. I think your right in that it's smaller dimensions work well with shorter folks. For me it seems more nimble. So I kind of hope they keep it smaller than the C14. (for us shorter folks).  :))

I'm 6'3" and short waisted. I bought a Gen 1 FRJ '05 ABS over a C-14. Not only was it a lot less money, I like the size better. It's not top heavy like my 01 Connie. I haven't even come close to any vaket parking issues I had with the C-10. The C-14 is hugh compared to the FJR. Sure, the C-14 is a great bike, but I'm gettting older and like the fact that the FJR is 130 pounds lighter.

I put my wife on the back of both bikes at Dayton this spring and she found the FJR easier to get on and off. I think I'll have a better chance of not having banged up saddlebags from her boots.

I hope Yamaha keeps it simple. They built a great bike with a good following. I like the fact there's less electronics to go wrong. It's good to have choices.

You guys are getting my interest up about the FJR. Its lighter and lower than a C 14 you say. The weight looks to be about 650 lb wet compared to about 670 for a C 14. Does that sound about right? I'm coming off a C 10 which vibrates pretty good. How would the vibration compare between a C 10 and FJR. Some people say the FJR vibrates more than a C 14. Now you've got me thinkin, Mark

edited: I see the weight for a C 14 to be 688 lb dry.

Sparkie said:
You guys are getting my interest up about the FJR. Its lighter and lower than a C 14 you say. The weight looks to be about 650 lb wet compared to about 670 for a C 14. Does that sound about right? I'm coming off a C 10 which vibrates pretty good. How would the vibration compare between a C 10 and FJR. Some people say the FJR vibrates more than a C 14. Now you've got me thinkin, Mark

The current FJR does have a slight but more vibration than the C14. But it's still minimal. And compared to the C10, it's pretty much non existent. (unless you have a real good C10) But this is also comparing the FJR last refreshed in 2006. So who is to say what a new FJR1400 may be like.
  As far as weight, again, comparing the existing FJR to a C14. Yamaha lists the wet weight of a FJR at 644lbs. Where as a C14 (wet or dry?) is listed at 688lbs. But I'm pretty sure that the C14 is a dry weight. There is a substantial difference in weight if you go from one to the other on full tanks. (again existing 2006+ FJR compared to a C14) Who's to say what a new FJR might weigh. I am hoping for less bling and less weight.
  I personally like both bikes. But I will say that the FJR does fit me better than the C14 did. I also think that the fit and finish of the FJR is much better than the C14. But it's also a pain to remove the fairing parts on compared to a C14. Again, this is the older bike (not this new to be designed bike). But in all honesty, if I was to buy a new sport tour tomorrow, it would probably be another FJR (or maybe a Ninja1000). Not because I think it's a better bike or anything like that. I just prefer the smaller, lighter more nimble feel that the FJR affords me. Although I might wait to see what this new bike might be like first. Although I'm not too keen on buying the first model year of a new design bike. First year bikes tend to have the bugs that need to be worked out a lot of the time.
  But with that said. Both the older 2006+ designed and C14 are excellent bikes. I'm sure you would probably like either one a lot coming from a C10. Not that the C10 is bad bike. It's just a little dated compared to the newer bikes.

Also to add. The 2011/2012 FJR's are 3lbs heavier than the 2010 model. They added factory heated grips in 2011. (which is a good thing- worth the extra 3 lbs). For example, my 2010 listed at 641lbs wet weight. So if you went with a 2010 or older FJR, it's lighter yet.  :))

Gen 1 FJR ('03 - '05) are a lot lighter than the current models. My '05 ABS model weighs 553 pounds dry weight. The non ABS model for those years weigh 537 pounds dry. FRJ gained weight in '06. Many say there are heat issues with the Gen 1 bikes, so extra heat shielding and other mods added. It will feel hot if ride ride in jeans. I haven't noticed any heat with my Stich, but I know it's there. Kinda like early C-14s, from what I hear.

I'm glad I found a low milage '05 ABS FJR. It was a great deal and I got lucky. Not sure what I'd buy if I was looking at a new bike.

Again, it's like splitting hairs. Both the C-14 and the FJR are great bikes. You can't go wrong with either one. It's so nice to ride a modern Sport Tour bike. You owe it to youself to get that fits and works for you. The hard part is getting the Perm-a-grin off face.

I saw the that, that updated FJR looks SWEET
bigthumb.gif

I agree with the author, to compete in today's sport-touring class the Yamaha very much needs redesign