• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Updating stock C 14 lighting

nickrides

Hi Gents
As the title sez I'd like to update the stock Headlight bulbs on my 2014 C 14.
I've read through some past threads and my eyes went all blurry and confusion set in.
So what is currently available today?  What's the best for the most long distance light?
I don't ride much at night but when I do I want to see as far as possible, with out going aftermarket additional lamps.
How do I get in there to change the bulbs? What comes apart? I don't want to rewire anything if possible, and I'd like it to last.
All newbie questions, sorry.
Best regard's
Nick

You're aware that wars have been fought over topics less controversial, right?

There are learned dissertations on focal point and bulb type. There are choices between very good halogen types (I had great luck with the Philips VisionPlus bulbs), HID (better now, older types were not very dependable), and on to the almost inconceivable variety of LEDs currently available.

Personally, I live in the mountains, atop a maze of twisty 2-lanes all alike (old ZORK players get it), and I am currently running a set of better-quality 4-sided emitter LED units purchased through Amazon several years back. They are not quite as clear focus at long range as the Phillips were, but they throw a *huge* amount of light and are much better for my aging eyes when I'm wending my way homeward in the deep dark and trying to avoid kamikaze deer.

Any bulb with an H4 designation should work. You can, if you have skinny arms, get away with not removing more than the side dash covers. Release the clip, swing it back, and the bulb comes right out. Check out YouTube for more details.

I have two emitter LEDs in my 2014.  I haven't ridden at night yet but the cutoff was the same as the halogens that were in there from the factory.  I kept the halogens becuase there wasn't anything wrong with them.  I just prefer the whiter light of the LEDs.  I also changed out the city lights so that the color temp matches.  I think I got a 10 pack of those on Amazon for like $8.  They're not hard to change and this way I have spares.  I think I paid about $40 per bulb for the H4 LEDs.  The ones I purchased have the fan inside the housing so the entire unit is self contained and the boot fits over the socket without cutting.  These are the ones I got: https://www.amazon.com/CAR-ROVER-Motorcycle-Headlight-Bulb/dp/B07SHDBZDK/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?crid=1D3UROMT70DCM&cv_ct_cx=h4+led+headlight+bulb&dchild=1&keywords=h4+led+headlight+bulb&pd_rd_i=B07SHDBZDK&pd_rd_r=76ef4284-c329-436d-83ca-2726d211b5cf&pd_rd_w=KqJA0&pd_rd_wg=pTBSE&pf_rd_p=d027eaac-7531-45fe-a61e-20ae30db06de&pf_rd_r=S44WJ2KTRWBZX079971R&psc=1&qid=1588453125&sprefix=H4+LED%2Caps%2C178&sr=1-1-70f7c15d-07d8-466a-b325-4be35d7258cc.

I actually paid $21.99 each.  They are $2 more expensive now.

You'll learn a lot by reading through this thread.  https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/h4-led-2018-evitek-f2-replaces-g6.162067/page-23#post-2224884

Don't worry.  Reading up on LED lighting on another manufacturer's forum will not contaminate you or give you the cooties.  :D

Spiderman302 has done a lot of research on what makes a good LED headlight replacement bulb.  He does more than just give you words like, "Wow" and "This is the best light".  He shows you what to look for, and gives you some specific links.

Chris

I know it is probably too late now but I just installed LED bulbs in my bike a couple hours ago.  The beam pattern is virtually identical to the stock lights but it is white and much brighter.  I can't say how well they project down the road just yet as I just installed them and it isn't dark yet.  I also changed the city lights to LED bulbs as well to match the headlights.  This is what I ordered, they were both inexpensive and seem to work well.  I even checked the headlight bulbs with a bench power supply and they are perfectly regulated to 24 watts regardless of the voltage as long as it is above 11 volts.  Voltage goes up and the current goes down. They are rated as 25 watt so I'll consider that a pass.  It took well under an hour to install everything.  I'll come back and post how well they work at night after I go for a ride with them.  At $35 for everything it seems like a good deal to me as long as they keep working.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FRG4NSH/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R15WZN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shizzle said:

I also use the Beamtech H4's. But bought mine from Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-9003-CSP-LED-Headlight-Bulb-Conversion-Kit-High-Low-BEAMTECH-8000LM-6500K-50W/182504767509?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2a7e21c015:g:ZVkAAOSwvfZZ~SZ8&enc=AQAEAAACYIQvEcHUrT7nmUC3yY5qbPyaBN1nJEDYW8MyypsJPgXKBE6azt8cGhqIvkcfFDcbk7Y%2FxygExCy%2BdD4nUKblDVSexrNLY3uoBIvG%2Fhw7uM6nXn3P1B%2BG6Y2vNLcrQyURVAmEwkQmJZe6frvMwyGLRmE1h5enqK%2BEttwFZJuTxDH6crumhpvUeAB6TCN5BZ8cDg3IBLiJ7DFpERO7KCu%2BrxYEvkbqKIg0cm%2FP2pfcAMx4pYgpG5ZWKorZwdV67YMCZsjj0WLGdrxSgvlRvzIRoBmLxclrmtADO81CP74N7a10x0kJ3dLdObL8W0h%2B19f4jBSp3i%2F0rYVH16oLx%2FeKU0eHSmiTD6YrWWfacxRr8gx3CXM9vlmOG%2BWMTX8%2BZ7Z2wZ06qXtYdJlVTabgsfb8%2FOe5tZaXRRlWDNlK2DpaepDonfGprQCJn40Ay5Vh9zFrWa%2Fn1w84v5Bg5l%2FIYe3sAeikM3mWfYb%2FQNh%2Ba2pPuV2SU11lc32oJYMv2tTXphQeAtaSBNih9ssYgIosS%2Bvp%2BI5ETw006nro9UbKSjbMZgsA3oaJXlWWmQ%2FmUZOa5NTfKBtytgRBS3PH52lxZcC2TpCr2riI6b3oNHD%2F1KIug0y%2BJqSAH%2Bt%2B%2BHEQ8qwzVNLzIXNjMs1gjNFhCnhYZl9ug0xMM9QTOEfMyDRDacwV80PqOn%2B9wh%2B3IH8vC%2BYH9xxQdaulM8Qg0vXSE3u33Kzed4%2BRxin8t4%2FvQLoOb3fvJ3Ue7g6e0HRI4x2auEPWBzVi9UF2kzORI1Jt%2Fnm9mKKcIofkJ82bc35SSE%2F1cRcA%2BMfB&checksum=182504767509c6355ddb6f534301a1959bd61b200cc0

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Viffer_pilot, I think I'd be a bit concerned with the bulbs you have.
                            The heat is all inside the headlight.
                            Most that I see used here, have heat sinks outside the headlight to dissipate heat.

connie_rider said:
PS: Viffer_pilot, I think I'd be a bit concerned with the bulbs you have.
                            The heat is all inside the headlight.
                            Most that I see used here, have heat sinks outside the headlight to dissipate heat.

I don't disagree.  I decided to go with these bulbs for two reasons.  1.  Since the heat sink is inside the housing the boot fits over the bulb without cutting and 2. I was hopeful that the fan would block the light coming straight out of the bulb making the reflectors more effective with a cutoff more like halogen.  So far they are fine.  Recognize they will be fine until they aren't but the area inside the bulb housing is pretty large with a significant air volume and the polycarbinate lens, while a poor heat transfer medium, sees a significant airflow relative to the dead zone behind the fairing so I'm optimistic that the mass flow rate portion of the heat transfer equation will dominate.  With things as they are, traffic has not been an issue but that is my biggest concern.  There are also no reviews that say that the bulbs damaged lenses or reflectors and the bulbs are still for sale so I think the risk is manageable.

I agree. Probably ok.

On the beamtech and others, the locking ring is removable.
  This is how they make installation possible without cutting the boot.

Ride safe, Ted

I tried the led lights I got out last night and they work really well, much better than the Phillips halogens that were in there before.  The low beam almost seems to have two distinct cutoff lines, the main one then a second much dimmer one a little bit further down the road.  I believe it is the led emitter creating the main cutoff line and the reflection from inside the low beam led emitter shields creating the second dimmer line. The high beam projects a lot further than I expected it to.  I am happy for now, these will buy me some time until I get around to doing a proper HID Projector retrofit.  :)

MtnRider, the Beamtechs you refer to have 10,000 lumens, so I think I'll go with them. Are they plug & play, and do  you have to cut the boot?

I'm not sure about cutting the boot. I had a previous set of LEDs that required the boot be cut so it was already done. Ted (Connie_Rider) said you can remove the lock ring from these and get them mounted without cutting.

Vader, I like to ones MtnRider posted better too as they have a fan, and mine don't.
The lock ring is removable so you don't have to cut the boot.

NOTE: When you remove it, pay careful attention to it's location.
          {Look closely and you'll see a small plate that partially covers one of the LED Emitters}
          Reinstall the locking ring in the same location from which it was removed.
              It can be put on backwards..
          The light has to be clocked when you install them on the bike.
          Clocking them places the little blocking plate in the correct location so the light pattern has a cut off at the top/side.
            This cut off line prevents you from blinding oncoming traffic.

Ride safe, Ted

Don't cut the boot. That will cause moisture and who knows what else. The Beamtech's I installed do not require the boot to be cut because the ring is removable. You install the ring then push the light through the boot and twist. Remember on the Beamtech's there is an up and down so position accordingly for the low and high beams to work properly.

Something I just realized i will share in case there are other dumb asses besides me out there.
I have my 2012 apart be cause I am painting it so I decided to install my Beamtech LED's that I ordered. I realized the locking ring is removable so I removed it, installed the boot and then tried to install the light. Impossible to get the locking wire in place because of the heat sink. After struggling for some time I cut the boots.
After reading this thread it dawned on me what I did wrong.
Remove the locking ring from the Beamtechs and install just the ring in the headlight housing and lock it in place.
Put the boot in place over the new bulb.
Then insert the new bulb into the locking ring that came with the bulb that is already locked in place in the housing and twist it to lock it.

I must be really stupid. I am ordering new boots.

Actually, I should have mentioned that.  :-[
I discovered the ring/boot/light install procedure when I did mine.
Luckily I discovered it before I cut the boot.

If the boot is a straight razor type cut, try Super Glue gel.
I'm not totally sure it will stand the heat, but it works great for repairing rubber components.

Ride safe, Ted

Just installed all 4 LEDs. Not too bad once I decided I was doing it right thanks to you guys. It just didn’t seem like it was going to work till I went back to this thread. Worst part was getting the bulb pushed in clocked and knowing you get it locked in. But when you do, you’ll know it.

Daboo said:
You'll learn a lot by reading through this thread.  https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/h4-led-2018-evitek-f2-replaces-g6.162067/page-23#post-2224884

Don't worry.  Reading up on LED lighting on another manufacturer's forum will not contaminate you or give you the cooties.  :D

Spiderman302 has done a lot of research on what makes a good LED headlight replacement bulb.  He does more than just give you words like, "Wow" and "This is the best light".  He shows you what to look for, and gives you some specific links.

Chris

That is a spectacular thread. Lots of info and more in depth analysis than I need. I appreciate all the effort Spidey put into it;