• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Utah Day Ride - Interested?

Hello Utah Riders (or any willing to participate from neighboring states)!

I've started this thread to gather interest in a Utah Day Ride.  I would like to get together in order to meet as many of you as possible and to discuss what it is that you would like to see happen with this club here in our state as well as regionally.  Having compromising pictures of our SWAD, as I do, I wield a certain amount of influence at the regional level.  'Nough said. :-X

We would meet somewhere, ride, eat and talk, in no particular order.  I would prefer that we gather somewhere in Central Utah as we have two paid members who live down near Cedar City.  We could easily put together a decent ride anywhere in the state (you all know that), it's the scheduling that gets tricky.

With that being said.....what say you?  We have the TripleR coming up on June 7th.  I was thinking we should get together before that, so that leaves May.  Is that too early for you?  Should we wait and do this after the TripleR?  I'm open to just about anything.

Please...post away with your thoughts, preferences and suggestions!

Mike

Mike I would be up for a day ride before the Rally I'm in UT county and can go most weekends ( work allowing ). Getting riders together from both ends of the State could be a challenge but still doable. I'm up for going North or South.

Dave

Stubby said:
Mike I would be up for a day ride before the Rally I'm in UT county and can go most weekends ( work allowing ). Getting riders together from both ends of the State could be a challenge but still doable. I'm up for going North or South.

Dave

Excellent Dave!  I understand the logistics of it all, trust me. :-/  However, according to the COG Membership Handbook, there are 8 paid members here in the state and it would be great if we could all meet, along with the forum only members and absolutely anyone else that wanted to.

As a mere rider/member, I'll throw my 2cents in.  I could do May 11th Saturday or Sunday.  May 17-18th I'm scheduled to ride my first, and probably only, Iron Butt.  My friends and I are riding from South Jordan to Fernley, NV and back via The Loneliest Highway to get our Saddle Sore; 1,000 in 24.  The weekend of the 25th is Memorial Day Weekend and I"m sure that's out for most everone, or maybe not???  The next weekend is June 1st which is the weekend before the Triple R.  How's that for some logistics!!!  :-[

Given that...if the majority can do the weekend of the 18th, then you guys should do it.  I can put everything together for you or help out in doing so, and I can always meet you guys another time to talk with you.

Looks like my 2cents turned into a $1.25 anyway.

Mike Im open pretty much the 1st 3 weekends in May not sure were most of the members are from but maybe by mid may some of the higher passes will be open ( Like Wolf Creek ) or South to Price and up Indian canyon and back? So much to choose from  :-\
            iron butt huh? Have wondered about them but never got excited enough to try one.

Hi Mike and Stubby,

I am in Utah county as well Stubby. (Springville)
I have a ride planned already with my married sons on the 11th otherwise I would love to go.

The 17th and 18th are open for me and I would actually be interested in doing the Iron Butt ride with you Mike.
If you are looking for an extra rider I will double check with my wife.
Sounds like fun.  My sponsor "desert rider" has done several.

The 25th is busy again with family but June 1st is open again.

By the way I saw a 2001 Connie in Springville last week.  I have left a message at the business it was in front of. I am trying to contact the owner to invite him to join and come on the rallies.  :great:
I hope this helps,
Terry

I'll be through Salt Lake city around July 6th on my way to Ft Bragg Ca. In case it gets pushed out that far...lol . Come on July !!  :beerchug:

Okay, update...

Iron Butts been moved to May 31st (not sure how I feel about that), so I'm open the weekend of the 18th.  That makes 3 of us now for that weekend.  So maybe we should start the ball rollin' there.  In general, are Saturday's or Sunday's better for you two (Dave and Terry)?

I need to drag our Southern Utah guys in on this thread.

Mike, Terry I am free all 3 of those weekends ( in fact the weekend of the 27-28 too ) on the 4-5 the 5 would be better for me ( there is a Nat. H&H Desert race that Sat I might go too ) but my mind can get changed? So ya the next 4 weekends are pretty open Mike I think we have exchanged phone #,s and I will pm Terry mine so lets go riding.  :)

Dave

cra-z1000 said:
I'll be through Salt Lake city around July 6th on my way to Ft Bragg Ca. In case it gets pushed out that far...lol . Come on July !!  :beerchug:

Jason,

If you like, about a week or two before you pull through, give me a shout.  Maybe we could do lunch or I could ride with you for a bit on your way out.  If you want to take a scenic route, I could put something together for you.  However, the West side of SLC.....well, there ain't much.  North, South or East is all good though!! 

Mike Burkey
mburkey4@yahoo.com
801-918-1897

MikeB said:
I need to drag our Southern Utah guys in on this thread.

I've emailed the guys from down south.  If they don't chime in by Monday, than we'll roll with the weekend of May 18th and choose a route more northern than mid-state.

Do you guys care about Saturday or Sunday? 

Let me know,
Mike

Mike b the weekend of the18th is fine for me "one of the southern guys" sat would be better. Any thoughts on a route yet?

Great to see some action in Utah. Nice job folks. Got stuff happening in UT, AZ, CO and NV. Where's CA??????????????? NM??????????????? Bueller, Bueller?

hello
I think id like to join on one of your rides most weekends are great but the 18th im probably doing a salt lake century bicycle ride that doesnt stop me just means I will be riding my bicycle until about 2 pm then maybe meetup if you are riding in northern utah,  I was planning on the cedar city thing but am undecided because that is a weekend of the tour de cure in brigham city ive done for the last 10 years, but may have to skip for the cedar city ride its gettng more and more inticing 

I will check out posts and try meeting you guys once in a while I think i May  be planning a ride this weekend from home ( layton) to either moab or the laughlin ride this weekend looks so nice weather wise

charlie

Cboothe said:
hello
I think id like to join on one of your rides most weekends are great but the 18th im probably doing a salt lake century bicycle ride that doesnt stop me just means I will be riding my bicycle until about 2 pm then maybe meetup if you are riding in northern utah,  I was planning on the cedar city thing but am undecided because that is a weekend of the tour de cure in brigham city ive done for the last 10 years, but may have to skip for the cedar city ride its gettng more and more inticing 

I will check out posts and try meeting you guys once in a while I think i May  be planning a ride this weekend from home ( layton) to either moab or the laughlin ride this weekend looks so nice weather wise

charlie

Hey Charlie, road cyclist huh?  I used to do a fair bit of that. 2001 Lemond Zurich, Shimano Ultegra, yada, yada, yada.  I really need to get my butt back on it.  It's been a few years now.  I enjoyed it very much.  I understand your not wanting to break the ride streak you got going there, but the Southwest Regional in Cedar is really shaping up.  Not bad for a small group of grass roots members completely wingin' it, if I do say so myself.  Should be a great time.  Hope to see you there or around as time permits.  I will be throwing out some Northern day rides here shortly so don't worry about that (Wolf Creek, Huntington Canyon, Monte Cristo (Star Bar), Trappers, East Canyon, ect.

Stay safe out there with all the smoking-texting-eating-station changing-knee driving cagers.  Gives me the chills just thinking about it.  :eek:

Mike

Gentlemen,

After reviewing the feedback I've received up to this point. I'm going to go and schedule the Utah Day Ride M&G for Saturday, May 18th.

We'll meet at the Capitol Reef Inn & Cafe in Torrey, UT at Noon, have lunch and go for a ride.  I'd like some suggestions on a ride route (this is the ride that both Northern and Southern riders will do together before heading back home).  I'm thinking something in the neighborhood of a couple of hours.  What do you guys think?  Suggestions??

Capitol Reef Inn & Cafe‎
360 West Main Street
Torrey, UT 84775
(435) 425-3271
capitolreefinn.com‎

Sorry about the delay.

To answer your question, Saturday's work better for me.

I am double checking on the 18th again because I got all excited about the Iron Butt ride being that day and started making plans for that on that day.
Then when that got changed to the 31st I got that part but missed that it was because the Utah Meet and Greet would be on the 18th instead so I thought I would just go on the 18th on my own then.
Then I asked another guy to go on the 18th with me on an Iron Butt ride.
Now I need to see if I can do the Utah Meet and Greet ride on the 18th and the Iron Butt another day.
That will probably be the case.

I will get back to you soon.

Sorry for the confusion.  There just aren't enough days or even money to do all the rides I want to do.

I have been able to make arrangements for the personal ride to be on another day.  :)

I look forward to attending the  Utah Day Ride M&G for Saturday, May 18th.

If anyone North of me (Springville) wants to meet up with me I would be happy to accompany you to Torrey.  :motonoises:

TDCon said:
I have been able to make arrangements for the personal ride to be on another day.  :)

I look forward to attending the  Utah Day Ride M&G for Saturday, May 18th.

If anyone North of me (Springville) wants to meet up with me I would be happy to accompany you to Torrey.  :motonoises:

Hey Terry,

Glad you could make it.  I figure us Northern guys should all meet up and ride into Torrey together (Me, you, Stubby and whoever else).  That was my plan anyway.  We could take 89 down.

Ok twist my arm I'm in for the 18th ( and pretty much every weekend from here on out all things willing ). Mike have you thought of Huntington Canyon down to I 70 then take the back way into Loa and on to Torrey ( a better ride than 89 IMO ) the two mountain passes may still be a little cool and it may be a bit farther but worth it? I will give a map a look for route ideas for a ride while down there.

Charlie give me a PM I'm free most weekends ( Live in UT County ) and can meet you for a ride ( I have a GF that rides her own bike that may want to come )?

Stubby said:
Ok twist my arm I'm in for the 18th ( and pretty much every weekend from here on out all things willing ). Mike have you thought of Huntington Canyon down to I 70 then take the back way into Loa and on to Torrey ( a better ride than 89 IMO ) the two mountain passes may still be a little cool and it may be a bit farther but worth it? I will give a map a look for route ideas for a ride while down there.

Charlie give me a PM I'm free most weekends ( Live in UT County ) and can meet you for a ride ( I have a GF that rides her own bike that may want to come )?

Glad to hear it Dave. Huntington is one of my all time favorites and HW10 running the other side of the range down to 70 is a nice rode as well.  Will need to map it out to plan for an appropriate departure time. Question: Do you know if that road closes during the winter?  If so, we'll need to make sure it's open that early. 

Dave, Terry, and quite possibly Charlie :)

Checked the UDOT Seasonal Road Closure page and HW31 isn't on the list.  You're right though Dave, it will probably be fairly chilly up there.  I'm good with this route if you guys are.  Here's the Google Maps link:  http://goo.gl/maps/SyCks

I created the map from South Jordan and it's 230 and 4.5hrs to Torrey.  We'll need to leave fairly early, may need to push the meet time back an hour to 1pm.  What say you?

Scott, do you have a route picked out yet?

Mike

Mike it was an idea but if were under time constraint's we can go down 89. We are kind of limited in Torrey as pretty much any way we go will be a back track for some of us but I will try and put a brain cell or two at it in the next few days.  ???
By mid May it should be getting OK in the higher terrain.

Dave

Hey Guys,

Looks like taking 89 vs Huntington/HW10 saves us about an hour.  Maybe for this M&G we'll stick to it, at least going down.  It could definitely be on option on the way home though.  That'll give us time for a ride together somewhere out of Torrey.  But you're right Dave.... Torrey is a challenging location. I'm thinking we should hit the loop around Fish Lake out of Loa.  From Torrey through Loa around Fish Lake and back to Loa is 68 miles.  Not a bad ride considering we all still need to make it home. 

All said and done for us Northern Folk, 89 down and back with the loop would be around 450 (a bit less from Springville, a bit more from Layton).

What do you guys think? Better ideas?  Let me know.  I need to get this on the calendar and an email out ASAP!  Totally looking forward to this.  It will be great to meet and ride with you guys.

I'd like to know what city each of you live in so that we can plan for the best pick up locations.  Terry, I know your in Springville and I'm pretty sure Charlie is in Layton.  Dave, Utah county somewhere?....sorry if I missed it.

Addendum--------------------------------

Google Map.  Have a look....

http://goo.gl/maps/tTULH

Mike

I am available the whole day.  I like the straight shot down wandering path home idea.  Lookin forward to it.

I took a ride up Payson canyon Saturday and the rod is closed part way up.  Had a nice ride with my boy though.

Dave it looks like you found some snow too.

Mike that sounds good to me no use in getting to carried away right off the bat huh? The loop around fish Lake could be fun the back side has some nice twistys to it. Mike i live in Orem ( not far from the 8th N exit ) So if you want to save a little time I can just meet you guys in Springville were TDcon is just makes one less stop?

TD ya we went over Huntington ( by way of Fairview ) down to Price and back home over Soldiers not a bad day with lunch thrown in.

Mike I think you have my number if you need anything else?

Dave

Stubby said:
Mike i live in Orem ( not far from the 8th N exit ) So if you want to save a little time I can just meet you guys in Springville were TDcon is just makes one less stop?

Dave

Sounds good Dave.  Terry, where's the best place to meet up with you and Dave and hit the top of 89?

Why don't we all just meet up at the first Spanish Fork Exit.
Google maps has it as,  "exit 257 B-A for US 6 E toward Utah 156/Spanish Fork/Price/Main St"
Just off that exit on the left hand side there is a Chevron gas station.
They have a Gandolfo's inside if anyone is hungry but if not it's a straight shot up the canyon on Hwy 6 up to Hwy 89.
Here is a little bitty map from the Springville overpass to that gas station.
http://goo.gl/maps/irZYl

Just pick a time and I'll be there.

Sounds good.  See you there at 9 am.
I just put a back tire on this morning.  :great:
Was starting to see the belts on the old one.  :-\  Yikes!

I got 9100 out of the original and put another one just like it on.
Feels good to have new rubber.