• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

valve adjust..."missed it by THIS MUCH"

davedz

Training Wheels
..in my best Maxwell Smart voice... Just wanted to say the information gleaned from COG is well worth the price of admission! I started my first valve adjustment last night. Pulled the tipover bars, tupperware (screws in the cardboard), seat, tank, coils, etc. Moved the coolant hose clamp. Got the valve cover out with minimal problems. Cleaned the old sealant off the head, gasket and cover, and RTV'ed the gasket back onto the cover. In short, everything I've picked up from COG worked well in getting things apart! THEN (the missed part) I can't find my feeler gauges. DOH! I'll be buying a new set today. While it's apart, I may add a NAPA fuel filter and change the fuel line. Not ready to sync the carbs as I haven't built my balancer yet. Saturday is looking free to finish her up! Rode the wife's scooter to work....dang I miss my Connie already! ..dz.. 2003 Concours 1983 Honda Silverwing 2008 Yamaha Majesty (new) 2003 Honda XR70 (son's)

Congratulations Dave! Doing the first valve adjustment can be quite intimidating especially alone. I agree, with the great resources of COG, it makes the task easier. We're pretty good at finding ways to do things better than stated in the manuals. I'll be doing my first carb rebuild in a few weeks and thanks to COG members they have given me added confidence to get it done. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250

Make sure you put the 45 degree bend in the feeler gauges, that makes it a WHOLE lot easier. Also, detach the two you need from the bundle. I had a nut and washer fall off while I was manipulating them. It was by the grace of God alone that they didn't go into one of the cylinders. :-/ Definitely, all the info on the Valve adjust is worth the price of admission alone, which of course means that getting to know all these guys with useful skills in varying fields and fantastic taste in motorcycles is all just a bonus! Oh, another thing, examine the gasket in the front, up against the firewall carefully after you've got it together. That's where it likes to fold under ever so slightly, so the cover feels solid but there's actually an oil leak. One guy mentioned getting a telescoping dental mirror to examine it from his local drugstore, which sounds like a good idea to me for my next one. The cloud of blue smoke that roiled up from under the fairing when I stopped was quite exciting, but I really don't need that much excitement. Add to that removing all the plastic again, the valve cover again, just to re-set a 3/4" of the gasket was also more excitement than I needed. On the good side though, I was quick as lightning taking it all apart the second time after the lessons I had learned the first time.

THEN (the missed part) I can't find my feeler gauges. My ribs are hurting from laughing so hard! I bet you were so proud until you strted looking around for those gauges. I am not laughing at you but with you as I thought I was the only one that does stuff like that. :blush: Double check the clearances and don't worry about the noise as "Tappy Valves are Happy Valves" :) Respectfully Yours! Wess Heavner COG #8010 CDA #0239
2488051070102653285S200x200Q85.jpg

THEN (the missed part) I can't find my feeler gauges.
Lets hope ya did not leave them inside the head of the last bike/truck you worked on LoL :8o: Its the kind of thing I might do :) Good to hear COG's working for you CP Colin Prior Cogmos Committee Chairman Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

I don't pull my TO bars for a valve adjust, I just slide the fairing plastic out onto them and let it hang there.

Finally got another set of feeler gauges! All the valves were sitting pretty tight ranging between .06 to .13 mm. I set them to .15 intake and .20 exhaust, per Guy Young's tech notes. Buttoned up the engine and electrical, slid the enrichener down a bit, and started it up. HMMM...idling a bit funny and making a periodic 'kissing' noise?!?!?!? AH HA! I put my finger over the petcock vacuum line and idle zipped up to normal, and it stopped 'kissing'! I am pumped! I shut her down, put the rest of her regalia back on, cranked her back up and listened to her purr. Next project is new tires, once I determine which ones and get my HF changer mounted. On top of this, my wife completed and passed her MSF class this weekend. WOOHOO! She said the instructors said a lot of the same stuff I told her about gear and watching out for traffic/hazards. Man, I like this place! ..dz.. 2003 Concours 1983 Honda Silverwing 2008 Yamaha Majesty (new) 2003 Honda XR70 (son's)