• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Valve cover gasket

earlgrimm

Ok trying to get valve cover to stop pouring oil out offer the job.

Took it off and redid it. Slowed the leak ( reused the newish gasket)

So order a new gasket and start over?

And do you mount the gasket on the cover then try and get that blank blank thing inveithout dislodging the evil thing.

Any pointers?
.earl

I've had the same thing happen. There's a semi-flexible air dam that contacts the valve cover gasket as you try to reinstall. Forcefully pry that air dam away so there's temporary clearance and reinstall the cover using the same gasket. Use caution with RTV.

I rtv'd my gasket to the cover 2 valve adjusts ago and shes been leak free . used a few small dabs here and there to hold it . Be sure not to tighten the cover down too tight so as not to smash the gasket .

Unbolt your radiator and tip it fwd, protect your front fender when you do this. It will let you move the air defender away from the valve cover and let you see if the gasket is displaced along the front side. I think I used rtv to attach the gasket to the valve cover. Put a little in the grove, installed gasket, set it on 2x4 to not deflect the half moons, put a little weight on it and gave it about an hour to set up.

One time I replaced the bolt seals and didn't notice the cup washers on top of them. Forgot to install them. I couldn't get it to stop leaking. The valve cover bolts have shoulders so no amount of extra torque will draw them down more. The cup washers set how much the seal is compressed.

I have re-used that gasket over and over, as long as it doesn't have cracking or abnormal deformation I find it works fine.

Before getting the valve cover bolted down I use a flashlight to make sure the gasket is making the right contact to the engine, as far around the engine as I can see. The front side is hard to see in the middle but you may be able to spot the bad area when slightly lifting the valve cover off.

The half moons I pay attention to put a small glob of RTV in the corners of the moon where it meets the straight part of the gasket.

Stupid question but did you use new spark plug well gaskets? this would cause leaking in a different area and evident in the spark plug well(s).

The gaskets do last several years. As mentioned the other sealing parts can be the culprit.

Shameless plug........have a complete set of the gaskets for sale in C10 section.....NEW.

I have re-used that gasket over and over, as long as it doesn't have cracking or abnormal deformation I find it works fine.

Before getting the valve cover bolted down I use a flashlight to make sure the gasket is making the right contact to the engine, as far around the engine as I can see. The front side is hard to see in the middle but you may be able to spot the bad area when slightly lifting the valve cover off.

The half moons I pay attention to put a small glob of RTV in the corners of the moon where it meets the straight part of the gasket.

Stupid question but did you use new spark plug well gaskets? this would cause leaking in a different area and evident in the spark plug well(s).

Yes whole new murphs kit

Here is a rubber band and barbecue skewer method of installing a Connie valve cover gasket.

First picture shows using three number 64 rubber bands to hold the gasket to the valve cover.

Second picture shows using two 10 inch long bamboo barbecue skewers sitting on the cylinder head.
The skewers hold the valve cover up while you lift and slide the valve cover exactly in place.
Next slide the skewers out. With a mirror and bright light make sure all the big gasket and the four plug hole gaskets are in place.
Get a long nose pliers and scissors. Hold the rubber band with the long nose pliers and cut it with the scissors. Look and see that the gasket is still in place after removing the cut rubber band.

Attachments

• number64rubberbandsholdgasket.JPG
    number64rubberbandsholdgasket.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 128
  • stickandrubberbandsholdgasketupduringinstallDSC_7325.JPG
    stickandrubberbandsholdgasketupduringinstallDSC_7325.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 122