• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Valve Cover Removal - It's stuck!

delling3

Road Bike
First, let me say that I have taken the valve cover off of a C-10 previously.  But not on this particular bike.  I have all the fairings removed, and removed the bolts from the fairing support bracket, allowing the bracket to rotate forward.  I pulled the gasket off.  Something is hanging up.  Thoughts?

One possibility is a hose clamp that may interfere with removing the cover if the drive part of the clamp is pointed down.  If I remember correctly it's the coolant hose.

I've had to rotate the hose clamp to get the cover off.

DING DING DING, we have a Winnah!

Thanks for the replies.  Bob H nailed it.  Valve cover clearance is sooo tight that the screw drive on the coolant hose clamp was just enough to cause the cover to hang up.

Seems likely that the valve cover has never been off this one. Can't imagine that someone would reinstall that hose clamp in the same orientation to have to deal with it again. So, first valve adjustment @ 12000 miles

12K miles & never had the cover off? Yikes! I had the dealer do the 600 mile break-in and they supposedly checked the valve clearance (valve cover was scuffed on the left front corner - about where I hit it when removing). When I started doing my own valve adjustment 6K miles later, they were all pretty tight. The clearance on #1 exhaust pair was so tight I couldn't get a .002 feeler gauge in there!  :-\

From my experience with Kawazilla and work the P.O. thought he had done I am inclined to believe a LOT of valve adjustments that paid to "get done" never really get done.
Find a mechanic you know well and can really trust or do it yourself.

Ira said:
From my experience with Kawazilla and work the P.O. thought he had done I am inclined to believe a LOT of valve adjustments that paid to "get done" never really get done.
Find a mechanic you know well and can really trust or do it yourself.

Agreed. That's why I pretty much do all my own maintenance these days, short of precision machine shop stuff.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

That has Nevvvver happened to me!  :-[ :-[

One possibility is a hose clamp that may interfere with removing the cover if the drive part of the clamp is pointed down. If I remember correctly it's the coolant hose.

I've had to rotate the hose clamp to get the cover off.
That hose clamp was the trick to get my valve cover free! Spent a lot of time in the garage before coming back inside to check the forum to find this gem of advice!

This forum rocks!