• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Versys 650

Tinsailor

Just got a new to me 2015 Versys 650 LT with 1500 miles on it and I’m tellin ya this thing is the bomb. Light, nimble and plenty of zip and feels like Kawasaki measured me and built it like you would Taylor a suit. Actually got it for my son, or that’s the excuse anyway, but I’ve got to ride it often for safety inspections and things like that.

:beerchug:

You gonna bring it/him/them to Beat the Heat in July so we can smoke it over???

Hiya Tim.

Wow, a 15 with only 1500 miles on it. My 15 has over 43 thou on it now.

Color?

I love the h3ll out of mine.  The chain thing kinda sucks but the whole package is sweet. Iffn it ain't too late you can get 4 years more warranty for just over 4 bills.

On TDY near Mammoth Lakes CA.

ron203 said:
43? That's just loading and unloading on the RoadTrek. :rotflmao:
I fiksted it for clarification.

Ron, you really shouldn't put off retirement.  Tick tock.

Still on TDY near Mammoth Lakes CA.

SteveJ. said:
ron203 said:

Still too young.  :nananana:  I'm working from home again today and just signed a contract for another year yesterday.

But I'm one year and 2 days from 1st opportunity (but who's counting?).  I'm considering extending until Oct 2019 because I can get a free trip to California in September for a conference, which I could extend for a rental/ride vacation....

Don't use up all the good places before I get there....

ron203 said:
SteveJ. said:
ron203 said:

Still too young.  :nananana:  I'm working from home again today and just signed a contract for another year yesterday.

But I'm one year and 2 days from 1st opportunity (but who's counting?).  I'm considering extending until Oct 2019 because I can get a free trip to California in September for a conference, which I could extend for a rental/ride vacation....

Don't use up all the good places before I get there....

Wait 'til ya do the 108 out here. Just marvey. Enough of that.

Tim,, yours will look good parked next to my white one.  :great: :beerchug:

I DO hope you're making of list of your travels. It'll save me a TON of work!  (hey, that's good thread idea...)  ;)

The Versys 650 is a super starter bike. I picked up a 2014 Versys 650 in May of 2015. My son's first bike. It was ideal. It wasn't a 300 that he would out grow in a year. It also wasn't a beast that would get him killed. He kept it for almost 3 years and put 25,000 miles on it. Traded in for a used 2015 Versys 1000 with 20,000 miles on it. While the 650 was fine for him alone it wasn't ideal for riding 2 up. The 1000 I have to say is the most comfortable bike I have ever rode.

KevinRLI said:
The Versys 650 is a super starter bike. I picked up a 2014 Versys 650 in May of 2015. My son's first bike. It was ideal. It wasn't a 300 that he would out grow in a year. It also wasn't a beast that would get him killed. He kept it for almost 3 years and put 25,000 miles on it. Traded in for a used 2015 Versys 1000 with 20,000 miles on it. While the 650 was fine for him alone it wasn't ideal for riding 2 up. The 1000 I have to say is the most comfortable bike I have ever rode.
I don't necessarily think of it as a starter bike says the guy with 46k miles and building. Although two up it is a little weak it sure is a blast one up in the twisties.

On TDY in Lake Jacob near the North Rim, putting more miles on it.

Steve; Just spent several days on the wifes 650r while I  waited for shims. Got out with CND Steve on the dr. What a blast throwing such a light  bike around. Has me thinking. Hope your havinv a blast too.

Waaaay back when I started riding (1964), 650s and up were BIG bikes. 350s-500s were mid-sized, 150s-250s were "starter" bikes.  The biggest bike you could "easily" buy was the 74 cubic inch H-D (1212cc). Now 650s are "starters?"  :-[

Ranger Jim said:
Waaaay back when I started riding (1964), 650s and up were BIG bikes. 350s-500s were mid-sized, 150s-250s were "starter" bikes.  The biggest bike you could "easily" buy was the 74 cubic inch H-D (1212cc). Now 650s are "starters?"  :-[

That was so you could hide from the dinosaurs easier... :rotflmao:

(My first one in 1975, was an optimistically labeled, 1971 Honda CB 350 that was actually 321 cc. cost me $500. I dated a girl about then, who rode a Yamaha 200 cc street bike...). I hoped someday to trade up to a Honda 750.

Sailor Rich said:
Steve; Just spent several days on the wifes 650r while I  waited for shims. Got out with CND Steve on the dr. What a blast throwing such a light  bike around. Has me thinking. Hope your havinv a blast too.

Did you make him buy the beer afterward?

We'll have to try hooking up next time I'm in the neighbo(u)rhood. I've been by their place three times in the last few years. Probably heading to visit Newfoundland/Labrador next summer, Ottawa is sort of on the way. I rode to Nova Scotia back in 03. Some Newfies I met helped me kill an awful lot of brain cells. Should be a good time.  Can I say Newfies or is that not cool?

My son is barely 140 and his GF maybe 110... The two of them went to the Lake George fall rally last fall. I went on my C14. Riding behind them with the tail bag and soft saddle bags all loaded up was almost comical. 2 up is a little weak? HA! 2 up and loaded on vacation is a joke.

Then out riding at the rally. Again them 2 up with the rest of us riding. Passing and getting up and going was not happening 2 up. Even without the luggage it was still not ideal.