• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Very Sad News - Lost 2 Coggers Yesterday

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
Some sad news was conveyed to me today that I am passing along. COG Northeast members Grant and Dee Beauchamp (#2337/A) were involved in a fatal motorcycle accident yesterday.

They were wonderful people whom I have known through COG for almost 25 years. Always eager to lend a hand when the NE hosted national rallies, and Grant had been talking about hosting more local rides. I saw them a few weeks ago when I attended Dog Days Weekend in Marlinton. Grant provided some restaurant suggestions for my overnight stop in Shamokin during my trip home.

No details are known other than what is reported in this online news article I found.
https://www.wgal.com/amp/article/cr...25reading-road-in-east-earl-township/41072030

9172E98E-AE05-4B49-A1FB-476D33D4EB5D.jpeg

Some sad news was conveyed to me today that I am passing along. COG Northeast members Grant and Dee Beauchamp (#2337/A) were involved in a fatal motorcycle accident yesterday.

They were wonderful people whom I have known through COG for almost 25 years. Always eager to lend a hand when the NE hosted national rallies, and Grant had been talking about hosting more local rides. I saw them a few weeks ago when I attended Dog Days Weekend in Marlinton. Grant provided some restaurant suggestions for my overnight stop in Shamokin during my trip home.

No details are known other than what is reported in this online news article I found.
https://www.wgal.com/amp/article/cr...25reading-road-in-east-earl-township/41072030

View attachment 33841
Oh no - Carol and I just met Grant at the ride we hosted in April, great guy and spoke affectionately about his and Dee’s riding adventures. I am so saddened to hear this.

Please pass along any services you hear about.

Grant and Dee although our time was short I am happy we met; may the roads be twisty, smooth and sun always at your back, god speed.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

…crossed the center line…

Imagine the number of events that needed to have taken place in exactly that sequence and with precisely the amount of time consumed for each over the period of 5 hours leading up to that very moment…

Impossible probability to have prepared for. Unlikely coincidence. I didn’t know them but if they were COGers then they were good folks I’m imagining. So sad to see this happening more and more frequently. Maybe it’s just me paying attention to these things nowadays.

Deepest condolences to the families and friends who’ve suffered the loss. Prayers sent for peace and clarity of thought during this time of grief. AB

I believe we met them last year at the Gunterville national rally, loading his red FJR on a trailer……. Lovely people.

Steve,
Thanks for the info. Kathy and I had breakfast with them Sat. morning during Dog Days, along with drinks and snacks in the evenings. We have been rally friends for several years now. Keep us informed if you get any information on services.
Jeff

Damn, sad to hear, I know their faces from the various COG rides I've been to, just never knew their names. I often play a little game when driving and count the number of drivers on their phones or distracted in some way. I've more than a few times lost count at the sheer number of people yakking on phones or a number of cars in my lane or coming into my lane. I'm just astounded how many times I need to take action to prevent getting run over or hit. With all the technology out there and especially all the phone technology, isn't there something that can be built into cars that disables all cell phone usage with the exception of 911? A naive question to be sure and maybe a bit simplistic but what measures are being put forward with autonomous cars and crash avoidance? A whole different thread. Sad this has to happen for other things to happen that would have prevent this if distracted driving was the cause.

Damn, sad to hear, I know their faces from the various COG rids I've been to, just never knew their names. I often play a little game when driving and count the number of drivers on their phones or distracted in some way. I've more than a few times lost count at the sheer number of people yakking on phones or a number of cars in my lane or coming into my lane. I'm just astounded how many times I need to take action to prevent getting run over or hit. With all the technology out there and especially all the phone technology, isn't there something that can be built into cars that disables all cell phone usage with the exception of 911? A naive question to be sure and maybe a bit simplistic but what measures are being put forward with autonomous cars and crash avoidance? A whole different thread. Sad this has to happen for other things to happen that would have prevent this if distracted driving was the cause.
I know my car, 2019 Subaru Ascent, will slam on the brakes on its own if it thinks its going to collide with something. I know a lot of people turn that feature off for whatever reason.. I keep mine on But I dont think it would be enough time if the vehicle quickly changed lanes onto oncoming traffic. I dont think there is anything that can save you from that. This accident was about 10 minutes from my house..

Not to hijack the threat in any way, but yesterday we took a ride up through the national forest and points west of that. Some of the classic farm-to-market roads there is no shoulder, and on one of them a driver was getting very near the drop-off from pavement to gravel. The vehicle's front passenger wheel kept drifting right up to the very edge and then swerving back into the lane as we approached each other.

I just kept praying that they didn't drop the wheel off the edge and then pull hard to get back on the pavement because if that happened they'd be pointed directly at me as the leader, or potentially the 5 riders behind me. Was just another reminder that the more we're out riding the greater the risk of tragedies occurring. It's not going to keep me home on my couch, but it is a sobering realization.

I quit riding in the mid-'80s because I had multiple friends hit big northern deer with their cars, trucks, and bikes; I was afraid of the uncontrollable situation, but living in Florida, where I do, that's not an issue; two-lane roads with oncoming traffic are the worst scenario, I always have in the back of my mind an exit, anything but head on, I will go for the ditch, anything but head on. RIP.

Sad to hear, sad to hear again, sad just sad...
BTW I almost lost my son last year to the same issue. Someone decided to pass and pulled right out, head on at 60+60=120 mph. Even though it is was in a car if they had hit more square everyone would be gone.

More angry than sad right now, this happens way too much. Again, I can't count the number of times that others cross over into my lane, hell, I drive a 45 ft long 110 ft high tower fire truck that's RED, LOUD, and has a lot of lights and I still drivers trying to hit me. I find myself in a car and on the bike closely looking at each and every car or vehicle coming my way, kinda takes the fun out of riding sometimes. Not focusing on the driver but I would not be surprised if she's referred to as a "cautious, mature". Nothing will happen to her, NOTHING.

Arrangement information can be found here:

Read about this in the COG NE newsletter.

Jolting news, makes me terribly sad as well as angry.

But it's not about I feel, condolences to the close friends and families who have experienced this tragic and unexpected loss.

Crossing the center line is not just a civilian sport!

I hate to bash the police, but just last week I had a Sheriff Department SUV cross the center line in a turn and miss me by inches. It was in a left hand turn on two lane mountain road. It also was a blind corner and when I saw him he had 2 wheels well over the line, but I was able to stand Connie back up and straighten out the turn just as he put the other two wheels over the line and somehow our rear view mirrors magically missed. Then I got to deal with an off balance Connie rolling at speed into the side of the road in gravel and weeds that hid a ditch and bank. Fortunately I made it out upright, but my shorts needed to be refreshed when I got home. I sure hope that text, computer screen, or call was worth it, because that would not have been pretty for me of there was head-on with him at 25 to 30 MPH.

I only mention this because that is the 3rd time in the past 10 years I have avoided an accident caused by an officer driving recklessly. Twice on the bike in the past 3 years and once in the car about 10 years ago.

I do all I can to support the police and I truly appreciate what they do. But they really need to stop being "THAT GUY" when behind the wheel, and start acting like the example. And I'm not even going to mention the highway patrolmen I know that race, yes I said RACE to lunch every day - last one there buys. Apparently the establishment they frequent no longer offers free meals to uniformed officers and I wonder why. Maybe it has something to do with them sliding to a stop in their gravel parking lot every day near noon. That's a story for another time but it frosts me none the less.

Last edited: