• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Vision correction for near and far vision

santacruzrider

I just got a new (to me) type of contact lens (multi-focal) to correct near-sightedness, and it has become my go-to solution to something I’m been struggling with on motorcycle rides — how to have 20/20 distance vision without losing the ability to see anything up close. Maybe I’m the last to know about these, but I find them to be a fantastic solution to a real problem, and I’ve ordered a stockpile primarily for motorcycle rides or even driving vacations.

In case anyone is interested, here are some specs (pun intended) and my impressions;
My distance prescription: -3.50 (nearsighted). Regular contact lens give me 20/20 vision, but age related vision changes mean I can’t read small type up close — a common issue for all of us carrying around “readers. I typically use +1.75 readers for computer work and up close reading. That set up generally works, except when I’m on the motorcycle and can’t (or won’t) wear readers. On the bike, my distance vision is excellent, but I can’t see details (odometer) on the dash or read my handlebar mounted GPS. I can make out the blurry red needle that shows speed range, but that’s about it.

I’ve tried and discounted other solutions, including:
- Bifocal or progressive glasses. These work great for walking around the house, but I don’t like the flare/glare I can get on the bike and also don’t like having to move my helmeted head up and down to look through the right part of the glasses.
- Monofocus contact lens where one eye is corrected for distance and the other for up close. I know folks who swear by this setup, but I couldn’t get used to it and was forever seeing blur.

My new multi-focal contacts have a reader power of only +1.25 (as recommended by my optometrist). This means that things are still less than sharp at reading distance. But I can easily read a restaurant menu, see details on the motorcycle dash and read the GPS. My distance vision is 20/20, and my eyes immediately transition from near to far — reminds me of how they worked when I was 25!

Anyway, hope this helps another rider try out a new solution to seeing up close. I‘ll no longer be able to answer “Actually officer, I have no idea how fast I was going,” but I can now see the GPS maps without pulling into a gas station and putting on my readers.

I've always wanted to try these but my optometrist tells me that they are not available for me due to my astigmatism.
Do you have astigmatism?

I haven't been to the eye doc for a couple of years, I'm sure I'm due.

I have an astigmatism which is why I wear hard contacts, and have since I was 13years old. About 10 years ago I began losing clarity and needed to go to cheaters at 1.5x. A couple years ago after moving south to savannah, I broke one and had a hard time finding an optometrist that fits hard lenses. The one I found fitted me with bifocal hard lenses....nice, but man were they expensive!

Mine are soft style. They are meant to be replaced every two weeks, but I’ve been know to go a month on each pair. I have slight astigmatism, but don’t both trying to correct it and still get 20/20. For more astigmatism, I think you need to go to hard lenses (but I’m guessing). Not sure if these kind of multifocus contacts are available in hard lens, but maybe worth asking.

Ahh. Soft lenses don't work for me....yhanks for the info..
Sorry that won’t work. In the interest of perhaps making this thread more helpful for more folks — have you found a solution to the near/far sighted dilemma on your motorcycle, or is it not an issue for you?

The hard bifocal lenses work great....just pricey...

Back b4 I found out they made them, I had 1 optometrist fit me for long distance on my right eye, the left was fitted for near distance. Worked surprisingly well. I went that route for 5 years b4 I retired from law enforcement...

I have tried 2 different brands of soft bifocal contacts. My eyes can't tolerate them. First month is fine, after that I can only wear them for about 8 hours then I want to scratch my eyes out. Wish they had worked for me,.Progressive glasses are not ideal, but I can read the GPS. I wore Acuvue II for over 15 years and loved them.

I'm gonna check these out. My situation is very similar to santacruz including the numbers. Lasic helped for 20 years but again need some external correction. Old fashioned bifocals from Walmart have worked ok.

I did not care for the progressive lens, Walmart switched me to bifocals for free. They have a 30 or 90 day guarantee, I couldn't believe it.

- Monofocus contact lens where one eye is corrected for distance and the other for up close. I know folks who swear by this setup, but I couldn’t get used to it and was forever seeing blur...
I'm glad they work for you. I tried those years ago...and just couldn't do it. I think my eyes were so used to the monofocus solution, that I couldn't make the transition you did.

Our brains are a miracle. For me, the left eye is close up...and the side my GPS is on. The right eye is distance. How the brain transitions from one eye to the other, is beyond me.

For those looking for contact lens brands and types, I use Alcon Day & Night contacts. I've heard they have the highest water content of any contact lens. I've been wearing them for 30 days (or longer) for years. It's like not having contacts at all.

FWIW, I can't read the big letter E without either contacts or glasses.

Again, I'm glad those worked for you. Whatever it takes to not wear glasses.

Chris

I've found the off-the-shelf multi-focal computer readers from Readers.com work pretty well. Not as much fish-bowl effect as the progressives the doc prescribed for me. I tried several powers (weaker than I use to read) to get the best distance vision and instruments are very sharp too. Works well for me and just $30 a piece so I keep a pair in each car too. I know what you mean about the glare at times but I couldn't get use to contacts. One more option anyway.

I just got a new (to me) type of contact lens (multi-focal) to correct near-sightedness, and it has become my go-to solution to something I’m been struggling with on motorcycle rides — how to have 20/20 distance vision without losing the ability to see anything up close. Maybe I’m the last to know about these, but I find them to be a fantastic solution to a real problem, and I’ve ordered a stockpile primarily for motorcycle rides or even driving vacations.

First off, thanks for the post.

Being a low maintenance kind of person, I always thought contacts were a daily thing! The only thing I do daily beyond the 3 S's is brush my teeth and maybe my hair. Contacts that could correct my vision that I can wear 2 - 4 weeks - oh hell yes! Sign me up!

I will admit I am a transition lens fan because between my transition visor on my Kilm and my transition glasses the afternoon sun is not too tough going home at the end of the day. The only trade off would be a good pair of sunglasses for my afternoon trip home. That works for me.

Thanks again