• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Vortex fuel cap

Gigantor

I have installed a Vortex fuel cap on my C14 because the OEM cap constantly seizes up. The issue now is I think water is getting into my tank. Does anyone else have this fuel cap installed and have you experienced the same issue?

Attachments

• vortex_v3_fuel_cap.jpg
    vortex_v3_fuel_cap.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 108
Gigantor,
What has informed your conclusion regarding water in the gas? Is it a one time incident or chronic issue?

2andblue,

The bike idles rough and when I put dry gas in the tank it ran smoothly. I had this same problem with a cheap aftermarket fuel cap so I went with a more expensive, better reviewed cap but still having issues.

Searching the web High / Low seems a few sealing problems for Suzuki owners on this cap and they had to get an aftermarket o-ring but other than that nothing else - all good reports (as you said).

Curious, do you have OEM cap still? Any chance to service / lubricate and put back on - see if issue goes away? I am curious if this is a different issue, especially since occurring with 2 different caps - one we know a high quality. Highly doubt but gas station - is this a source?

Did you purchase and install the optional lock or is this the ‘solid’ cover? Do you ever smell gas?

Lastly - you mentioned OEM cap getting stuck, is there rust in your tank? I saw somewhere in COG one person had a terrible rusting issue with their tank and was chasing corrosion and running issues.

I have this exact cap on my 2012 and haven't had any issues with leaks / water. It is more difficult to see the fuel level when I'm filling up vs. the stock cap, especially at Costco since they installed those new pump nozzles with the safety interlock. It's curious though that putting in new fuel straightens it out. In the past when I've had water contaminated fuel, nothing short of pulling the tank, turning it upside down and shaking it, then adding liquid heat, shaking it around, then dumping that has ever completely resolved the issue (not on my C14, but various other older bikes).