• WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE ABLE TO POST AND ACCESS MEMBER ONLY CONTENT AND FEATURES
    Join / Upgrade / Renew your membership to enjoy full membership and posting privileges.
    For simple instructions, click here
  • Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Webinar: Essential GPS and Basecamp Skills

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
I will be very interested in if changing the points to not announce on my route last night allows it to be run a a single route instead of breaking it into two different trips. I don't know if you tried to do that after I logged off at 9:00 pm....

We did edit the route properties to change announcement. Except for the start, end, and test waypoint for sharp curve, all others were set to not announce. The route was recalculated and when transferred to the GPS it was one single route.

During the session Kevin mentioned 29 points being the maximum, but he emailed later after looking it up and said he misinterpreted.
Below is context from his is is from the manual. While confusing and contradictory to other manuals, in the text Kevin pulled from his Nav6 "Via Point" is an alternate name for Waypoint. Based on this, the max number of waypoint is 29. Waypoints announce. Shaping points are what is generated when we "rubber-band" the route using the insert tool in Basecamp and it drops the small black dots. There can be up to 125 shaping points between waypoints. Shaping points should be set to not announce.

1646402964519.png

fartymarty

SC AAD
Learning how to change multiple points at one time was definitely worth the price of admission. This whole series is well done,
thanks to the two Steve(s) and the recordings, COG will have a valuable resource of information for as long as BaseCamp is viable.

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
As mentioned in this thread last week... Zumo XT is on sale now at Garmin store or your favorite Garmin GPS provider.

1646749264856.png

fartymarty

SC AAD
FYI

Looking online (no, I have no experience with this seller, so it's buyer's risk) I was able to find a price as low as $335.81
Too good to be true?...sorry I dunno. 😟:unsure:

Website is ChromeBurner.com, sale price is $373.12....then I found a discount code of "CB10YEARS" which applied to the cart
brought the total with free shipping and no sales tax. down to $335.81. This appears to me to be a Dutch company and I guess
the product ships from there? via Fedex....I have no idea if the product ships with North America maps...something to check on for sure.
EDIT: OK, it says comes loaded with Full Europe Maps ....I guess an Emily Litella "NEVERMIND" is due here. Sorry.

I thought about removing this post entirely, then I thought it might help others check out the fine print as they shop. I'll admit if I didn't already
have a Zumo XT I might have jumped on this and found out about the Europe map when it got here. I'm not sure how much of a problem that might have been to reload North American maps onto it. If I recall correctly Steve S. said he thought it was a bad idea.
edit: knew somebody that had map loading problems and returned it.

Perhaps if someone has had any experience with this company, if they would sound off here?

Last edited:

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
FYI

Looking online (no, I have no experience with this seller, so it's buyer's risk) I was able to find a price as low as $335.81
Too good to be true?...sorry I dunno. 😟:unsure:

Website is ChromeBurner.com, sale price is $373.12....then I found a discount code of "CB10YEARS" which applied to the cart
brought the total with free shipping and no sales tax. down to $335.81. This appears to me to be a Dutch company and I guess
the product ships from there? via Fedex....I have no idea if the product ships with North America maps...something to check on for sure.
EDIT: OK, it says comes loaded with Full Europe Maps ....I guess an Emily Litella "NEVERMIND" is due here. Sorry.

IIRC - I thougth I mentioned an anecdote early on in the sessions where another member I know well purchased from this vendor last year becasue of the cheap price. They found out the hard way about the Europe maps, which cannot be updated to NorthAmerica and returned the unit.

There are other vendors., not just GPS vendors that seel Garmin products. I got mine from an outfitting vendor who also offered a $50 discount for first time customers. Cha-ching. It is worth the effort exploring different sellers.

4bikes

COG#9715 AAD
Thanks for showing us around the MyRouteApp Mark!. Here is a link to MyRouteApp web site. They are sharing routes from registered users with others for free. You need to scroll down in this blog a bit to get to the English version. You can still use it for free with their standard maps.

2andblue

Gents - Regrettably I was unable to join live a single session; I have received the email link with the attached audio and video of the 10 sessions.

I have seen and heard lots of good chatter regarding the sessions and want to THANK YOU for your effort in sharing your experiences and knowledge of these mainstay tools (ZUMO, Basecamp, more)!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

4bikes

COG#9715 AAD
Thanks Wayne. I know you would have contributed from your experiences. I really appreciated the contributions from the attendees and learned a lot.

4bikes

COG#9715 AAD
Hopefully everyone that attended the training fell in love with Basecamp or picked their routing tool of choice and is having some success.

Posting this information from MyRouteApp.

A good route planner can create segments. This is often complicated and difficult to use, and this is why you don’t use it. We have now completely reinvented it so that it does work properly. When you use our brand-new Mobile app in combination with the improved online route planner, you can go full throttle into the summer!

fartymarty

SC AAD
:rolleyes:Hopefully everyone that attended the training fell in love with Basecamp or ...

Well, I like it much better than I did before, and I'm now able to plan a route entirely on BaseCamp which I didn't do previously
unless it was a simple point to point. Prior to the COG Webinars I always used two other steps before importing my results into BaseCamp.
However "love" may still be too strong a word to use, regardless, any affection that I now have for BaseCamp is due to the two Steves and the COG Webinars they hosted for us. (y) How much I actually learned may be revealed after the blow back I get about my routes at this years National.:rolleyes: