• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Well that didn't take long!

06conrad

Road Bike
Hey all :(.. I got my bike ('06) Oct 21st this year in pristine' 3100 miles on the od' condition and this past week has been an eventful one in not too good of ways.

I was granted some OT (yea! bar risers paid for!) this past Saturday (13th) and while riding in the 53 miles to work I encountered some construction. It has been there a while so I was aware and backed down along with others from 70ish to 40ish when three cars decided to coninue straight instead of taking the only other option of exiting the not-so-freeway. Our space dwindled so fast I found myself heavy braking on both front and rear and closing too quickly on the car in front of me. I inadvertantly locked the rear and grabbed more front brake and fishtailed to a near stop 3 ft away from said cars bumper. Off ballance, I felt the bike lunge to the low side (right) and quickly found myself looking 'ol Conrad in the eye! I was down to a few miles an hour and thought about the group here and decided it to be a "crash" not a drop.. Kind of a save face thing! A "Freeway Crash" that I rode away from is much more manly  8) than the "oops, i dropped it"  :eek: tales we get here. I fessed up to the CEO and only suffered a cracked faring at the mirror/right turn signal, and slight road rash to the lower body panel, right bag and mirror. All tolerable and somewhat repairable! And like others, I had that .. well it's not perfect now so I can relax attitude about it.

HOWEVER..
Yesterday (17th) I got home a bit late (stopped to fill him up... a factor to the events to unfold!) from my 3rd shift job and passed my wife on our little 3/4 mile rural neighborhood road. I pulled over to the right on the "off-the-paved road" road to the other houses and thought I would extend my "U-ie" space and fought to NOT grab the front brake in the dirt/gravel mix. (how embarassing  :-[ would dropping it right in front of my wife be?) whew!! Made the u-turn ok. Powered up next to her and chatted in all my studly  :p glory, sittin' on that rumbling machine!
Our neighbors came up behind her and with a bit of a crown on that curved part of our road I thought I would just clutch in to roll back naturally and have room to u-turn and head on to the house. Rolled back just fine. Feet on the ground. Hmmm kind of a bit slanted here... lean started..... push push push... aaaaaauuugh. ok, its goin' down.. :'( . easy... easy... d...oes iii..t.. AWWWW crap it's the LEFT side!.

I realized the difference in my personal strength after a near accident and after a "Gee, Yeah.. I am a goober that can't stand up by my self and shoulda bought them crash bars... or training wheels!.. thanks for watchin'... no i can pick it up...  CDA moment!. I clean jerked the bike up in the middle of the freeway and could barely get it up with the "butt on the seat, right hand on the bar grip, left hand on the hand grip, squat thrust lift in full view of the neighbors and the little lady! I survived it all with a couple of dimples from the asphalt and pebble mix that is our road, on the bag and mirror! So now both sides have kissed a bit of Mother Earth!

At least when I did ride away I could deny that the red face was embarassment and in a manly manor, claim it was really just from the strain of uprighting the bike!

Thanks for the therapy session.

doug

BBAR said:
As much as that sucks for you Doug. It was a great story!  :D
Yeah, it was good for me too.  ;)
I learned in 7th grade health class that "misery loves company."  Sorry 'bout "OUR" luck, Doug.  And i agree, it was a good write up of events.

Thank you... uh Thank you verrry muuuch!
I just got finished with repair work to lower fairing. The "Foot warmer/chiller" scoop punched through the lower side mounting hole and tab, I pulled it apart and did some "plastic welding" on it re-building the mount hole and the tab on the belly fairing. Old skill I picked up fixing similar plastic tabs and mounts on copiers I use to service. You start with gell type super glue, stick it all together then use a low heat (cheapie) soldering iron to heat and partially melt the plactic together. (AVOID THE FUMES WITH BREATHING OR EYES!!) The heat solidifies the s-glue and if you have a spare portion of plastic you can scavange you use it as "plastic solder" to build up strength after the initial repair is done.

On the little "scoop" on my 06 Concours. I found that if you turn it upside down instead of directing air to your feet it blocks some of it for cold weather. I would love to create a complete foot wind block piece to mount on the holes that would fully block your feet for winter. Does the fairing extender take advantage of the mounts down low to do this job? I have not seen them mounted, only pics of the pieces. I will copy and repost in a more suitable area as well...

Damn, if I didn't ALMOST join the club today. Its been three days since I last rode and I was just a little shakey as a result. Almost lost it backing out of the driveway! 

Note to self:  Must ride everyday!  Jeez!!

Doug, CDA0334.
That was a great story; I could imagine the whole thing in my mind.
Uneven surfaces can really surprise us.  Plus once that much weight is that far over; forget it; she's going over.

Good luck with the repairs. 

Thanks guys and thanks for the # I will were it proudly.... kinda!

@smithr.. only a true BTDT can laugh WITH you when you laugh at yourself.. Thanks! :)

@2linby.. I am completely with the gotta ride every day thing. I get shakey every Monday still! Another good thing would be half a tank max!! but then you have the don't get run over in the parking lot thing to deal with twice as often.. :-\ .. I hope you can avoid the feeling and the dreaded # for the remainder of your riding days! (good luck!)

@qman.. Yeah but it made my back hurt like it does after your version as well... ALSO I took a pill afterwards instead of before and I didn't have to call the doc after 4 hours upright!!! :D