• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

West coast and back from RI

First my first attempt on this trip was last April and I had made it to Virginia until I had a slight incident and broke a left ankle only on the second day out. I continue to try and get out this April 15th to attempt the second trip to San Diego and back to Rhode Island. I am looking for anyone that might be interested in joining for this 50-day adventure or any part of it thereof.

1 2nd that, good luck with the trip. I would love to go but don't have that much PTO time to take. Also I'm in SE Ct, if you ever wanna meet up and our scedules jive we should meet up.

Hey DD - I'm looking at your profile picture - could be wrong, but looks like Evan's Notch on Rt. 113 in Bethel Maine. Great road and riding area if it is. (y)

When you get close to the west coast reach out for me. We have many members that would like to ride and possibly camp with you including me. I live about 60 miles from San Diego. I have ridden across the country a few times and I know you will have a fantastic time!

When you get close to the west coast reach out for me. We have many members that would like to ride and possibly camp with you including me. I live about 60 miles from San Diego. I have ridden across the country a few times and I know you will have a fantastic time!
Appreciate your letter. Stopping in San Diego for turnaround, and probably a few days there for rest, motorcycle maintenance, change oil, etc. Retired military, so may be looking for military lodging.

My wife and I may be able to put you up for a couple nights too. We are gone for a most of May so I might miss you. There are plenty of military places to stay also. We have a couple of guys that do maintenance work too. Always good to have some options. :D

My wife and I may be able to put you up for a couple nights too. We are gone for a most of May so I might miss you. There are plenty of military places to stay also. We have a couple of guys that do maintenance work too. Always good to have some options. :D
That is outstanding, that means I have to make it to the West Coast in order to receive those services first! I think this retired Marine is up for the challenge. Thank you in advance and I hope to meet everyone and ride on the West Coast in May.

Wish I had the time to do it, 50 days/2 = 25 days each way, sounds more easy traveling than a CC50, lol.
I would look up meet and greets scheduled near your intended route and dates. If you find a place you want to camp for a couple nights set up a meet and great or a day ride that gets you going in your intended direction.

How soon are heading south in your western route or are you going to wing it depending on weather in the Midwest on April 15th

Bring the member handbook and you won't be so alone

Being retired military has it perks, thanks for your service.

Bob

Wish I had the time to do it, 50 days/2 = 25 days each way, sounds more easy traveling than a CC50, lol.
I would look up meet and greets scheduled near your intended route and dates. If you find a place you want to camp for a couple nights set up a meet and great or a day ride that gets you going in your intended direction.

How soon are heading south in your western route or are you going to wing it depending on weather in the Midwest on April 15th

Bring the member handbook and you won't be so alone

Being retired military has it perks, thanks for your service.

Bob
Leaving Rhode Island heading south to Florida and then back up across I-10 area through Texas New Mexico eventually through Sedona Grand canyon a few other spots.

Plan on leaving mid April heading south then West to San Diego and back to Rhode Island by 1 June. ... I plan on camping most of the way hotels when needed.
Hey Devil, you have travel interest and time available; the NW section of COG has the longest running COG rally on the weekend of May 20th in Idaho. Maybe don't use your throttle so much, dally a while, and come up and join the crew ... I've been and there's super camping under towering shade trees at the rally location.

Cecil

Bun Cooler rally

Red Fox,
I have the time to travel to Idaho but I do not know if I want to run that far north on this trip. I do want to ride through the parks in Utah though. My turnaround point in San Diego was scheduled around May 14th time frame. I keep all my options open on this 50-day trip and just hope I make them all LOL.

Kickstand up 0600, 15 April heading for first stop somewhere in W Pa. Any one feel like a day of riding let me know, would be leaving from RI,
Will be looking for a campground if the weather is good.

I will most likely be running north thru Sedona, and using it as a base camp for a few days, but thanks for the invite!
Charby ( Dan) will take good care of you if you do head a little south and the Prescott area has a lot of great riding also!

Rt 9 is a good call to get 84. If you plan on getting off 9 in Middletown CT to 66 you are better off staying on 9 to 91 SOUTH to 691 to 84. Middletown 66 for about 5 miles is heavy traffic and lights with a lot of stores and lights before where 66 becomes more rural. The route I mentioned keeps you on the slab and although a few more miles it is usually quicker. Before the merge on 91 south to get on 691 the speed limit cuts down to 55 and the exit can get a little congested because it is next to the Rt 15 (parkway to NYC) exit.
Let us know what time you expect to be coming through and maybe some members might try to ride with you through this area. If you weren't at the beginning of a long journey we have other backroad routes to get you to 84 further west which would take longer and more scenic.
Have a great, safe trip.
Bob

Rt 9 is a good call to get 84. If you plan on getting off 9 in Middletown CT to 66 you are better off staying on 9 to 91 SOUTH to 691 to 84. Middletown 66 for about 5 miles is heavy traffic and lights with a lot of stores and lights before where 66 becomes more rural. The route I mentioned keeps you on the slab and although a few more miles it is usually quicker. Before the merge on 91 south to get on 691 the speed limit cuts down to 55 and the exit can get a little congested because it is next to the Rt 15 (parkway to NYC) exit.
Let us know what time you expect to be coming through and maybe some members might try to ride with you through this area. If you weren't at the beginning of a long journey we have other backroad routes to get you to 84 further west which would take longer and more scenic.
Have a great, safe trip.
Bob
Leaving RI next Friday at 0600, your route sounds good.

Nice, being Good Friday traffic should be on the lighter side from commuters. That Route 66 exit may not be that bad, you could probably tell by traffic at that Middletown exit ramp, especially if you need a slab break and have to stop for a bio-break, McDs a few miles up from exit.

Have a great time and if it was a few years from now and I was retired you may have a had a sidekick going with you at least until I peeled off to Salt Lake for a visit to my nephews. Have a great time and keep us posted on your progress.
Bob

Last edited:
Nice, being Good Friday traffic should be on the lighter side from commuters. That Route 66 exit may not be that bad, you could probably tell by traffic at that Middletown exit ramp, especially if you need a slab break and have to stop for a bio-break, McDs a few miles up from exit.

Have a great time and if it was a few years from now and I was retired you may have a had a sidekick going with you at least until I peeled off to Salt Lake for a visit to my nephews. Have a great time and keep us posted on your progress.
Bob

Thanks for your input, will try to keep updated info on trip
Currently in North Carolina on my trip to the West Coast. Third day just one incident of this horn falling off that I had put on instead of stock. Everything else is looking good. You don't realize how much you miss your bed until you sleep in a tent after so many years of not laying on the ground. Lol

+1 on the sleeping on the ground after extended use of a bed.
Enjoy your trip.

Ride safe, Ted
Made it to Asheville North Carolina for a couple of days in the Smokies. Weather this morning was a cool 32° and I opted for a KOA cabin for the next 2 days. As I head further south hopefully I can use my tent again and save some money LOL. Tomorrow pack up and moving on to South Carolina for 2 days visit my old stomping grounds at Parris Island.

Just made it to SC about an hour from Moncks Corner, lot warmer in the flat lands.
Settled into Largo Florida today at a balmy 82°. Stayed the night before at Mayport Florida Naval Base. 5 star resort for my fellow vets. Weather has been great. Rolling with the punches. It took 2783 miles on leg 1. Leg 2/ San Diego Leg 3/ Rhode Island. Will be looking for that maintenance help on the West Coast if possible still from my California riders. Brakes, oil change, drive shaft oil change, and check tires, is the proper maintenance I think I will need. That will be in the month of May ending up in San Diego to finish leg 2. Thanks for the "likes"on the run.
Devil Dog

Settled into Largo Florida today at a balmy 82°. Stayed the night before at Mayport Florida Naval Base. 5 star resort for my fellow vets. Weather has been great. Rolling with the punches. It took 2783 miles on leg 1. Leg 2/ San Diego Leg 3/ Rhode Island. Will be looking for that maintenance help on the West Coast if possible still from my California riders. Brakes, oil change, drive shaft oil change, and check tires, is the proper maintenance I think I will need. That will be in the month of May ending up in San Diego to finish leg 2. Thanks for the "likes"on the run.
Devil Dog
Yes - the 2007 national rally was in WV. Hard to find a bad road - but there are some great ones.
Ran THE RATTLER in NC, musem was closed in Maggie valley.

Nice weather, in the Northeast this week low 50s and windy. May have frost tomorrow and the next night.
Have fun on the 2nd leg!

Nice weather, in the Northeast this week low 50s and windy. May have frost tomorrow and the next night.
Have fun on the 2nd leg!
Sorry about weather up north. Laying low working on tan for a few days in the south.
Recover , regroup, repack, move on again Friday. Thanks,

Have fun on the 2nd leg!
Bob where in Connecticut are you? I'm in Gales ferry right now. We're looking to move closer to the New haven area soonish.

Bob where in Connecticut are you? I'm in Gales ferry right now. We're looking to move closer to the New haven area soonish.
Any fellow COG riders near New Orleans downtown, looking for a base camp for only two nights I'm carrying a tent and need secured area. Closer to the quarter,
the better!. Looking at a Sunday-Tuesday.
Thinking of a full day of riding to visit a friend in baton rouge and then a circle around Houma and back to the quarter. Trying to stay away from a campground that is across the lake in Slidell or in Metairie or anything further than that I need to get closer proximity.

Any fellow COG riders near New Orleans downtown, looking for a base camp for only two nights I'm carrying a tent and need secured area. Closer to the quarter,
the better!. Looking at a Sunday-Tuesday.
Thinking of a full day of riding to visit a friend in baton rouge and then a circle around Houma and back to the quarter. Trying to stay away from a campground that is across the lake in Slidell or in Metairie or anything further than that I need to get closer proximity.
Kickstand up 0700 from Tampa Florida heading north and west tomorrow.

Currently camping in Austin Texas for two nights. Will be making the West Coast San Diego before too long, will still be looking for some help on servicing the bike if any is available. Thanks in advance.

I am heading to the West Coast and should be there next week sometime still looking for some assistance on maintenance in your area if possible.

I am heading to the West Coast and should be there next week sometime still looking for some assistance on maintenance in your area if possible.
I will not be here starting May 6th. When you get close and you need some maintenance give our AAD Jeff Hamilton a call. He lives near Victorville in Adelanto. Does great work. His number is in the member handbook. Give a couple of days notice at least. More the better. Would you just need an oil change and filter , air filter cleaning, tire change or much more? May need to get the parts ordered up front if you need em'.

I will not be here starting May 6th. When you get close and you need some maintenance give our AAD Jeff Hamilton a call. He lives near Victorville in Adelanto. Does great work. His number is in the member handbook. Give a couple of days notice at least. More the better. Would you just need an oil change and filter , air filter cleaning, tire change or much more? May need to get the parts ordered up front if you need em'.
Oil and filter for sure, drive shaft, possible brakes. I am in Austin Texas now. I think next week I should be in that area like the 12-14? Brakes and oil were changed 5000 miles ago as I sit in Texas with more riding to get to San Diego. Thanks, Rick from Rhode Island.

Oil and filter for sure, drive shaft, possible brakes. I am in Austin Texas now. I think next week I should be in that area like the 12-14? Brakes and oil were changed 5000 miles ago as I sit in Texas with more riding to get to San Diego. Thanks, Rick from Rhode Island.
I noticed your AAD is about 3 hours from San Diego?

I noticed your AAD is about 3 hours from San Diego?
Made it to California finally and got help from one fellow cog member in changing my oil and drive shaft gear oil and checking everything over for safety for my ride back home. Jeff had a great setup in his garage with a motorcycle lift and all the proper tools to keep the job easy
I found a new friend on the west coast and his name is Jeff Hamilton. Thank you Jeff.

Made it to California finally and got help from one fellow cog member in changing my oil and drive shaft gear oil and checking everything over for safety for my ride back home. Jeff had a great setup in his garage with a motorcycle lift and all the proper tools to keep the job easy
I found a new friend on the west coast and his name is Jeff Hamilton. Thank you Jeff.
Thanks my fan club for watching my drive.

Leaving tomorrow heading to Las Vegas.
Sitting in St Louis for the last 2 days heading into Kentucky in the morning bike is running excellent trying to play dodgeball with mother nature throughout the whole trip including tornadoes wildfires heavy winds in the West and actual rain LOL. Other than that all is good heading east back to Rhode Island by 3 June to complete this 50-day journey

Sitting in St Louis for the last 2 days heading into Kentucky in the morning bike is running excellent trying to play dodgeball with mother nature throughout the whole trip including tornadoes wildfires heavy winds in the West and actual rain LOL. Other than that all is good heading east back to Rhode Island by 3 June to complete this 50-day journey
Made it safely home to Rhode Island in 49 days instead of 50 but that is okay. Quite the adventure down the East Coast across the southern part of the United States and back across the middle to Rhode Island. The bike ran fine and ended up totaling 11,000 miles. Thanks for everyone's support and being part of the Rick Bean fan club LOL. The next trip next year will be across the northern part of the United States and back later on in the year.