• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What are your best Long Distance touring boots?

dlama

Moped
Danner 400 gram Goretex Pronghorn Hunting Boots
Cool Enough for the desert
Warm Enough for the winter
Waterproof
Comfortable
Walk for miles
Lasts for years
Isolates
Protects (not CE rated)
Available at sporting goods stores in wide sizes, men/women 1/2 sizes

https://north40.com/danner-pronghorn-8-realtree-xtra-400g-boot

Daytona_Mike said:
I did not think that anything with front laces would be waterproof for long. Just saying.
That was my thought.  I had a pair of Danner Super Rainforest, the battle tank of boots.  They were quite waterproof, but when you work outdoors in the rain, it drips with gravity.  On a bike, the wind has a habit of blowing the water UP the seams.

Account for that, and you'd probably be set!  :great:

To answer the original question, I loved my Oxtar Matrix goretex boots!  Until the zippers both finally gave out.  Using Tourmaster Solution right now, but not terribly impressed so far.  Good price, good enough comfort, but could/should be better.

Goretex lining and the proper tongue design does everything you are asking about on the boot. Never had a problem with water getting inside the boot from top or through the membrane. Speed lacing becomes a skill: not too tight and not too loose. Regardless, It's the Goretex membrane and the rest of the construction that has my vote for the Danner boot mentioned. The 8 inch shaft was to my liking but they make a taller and shorter boot in a different model as well.

Now if you want to get all vintage I just bought 2 pairs of Aerostich Combat Touring Boots. These are the most comfortable boots AFTER some serious break in activities. I bought them used from a guy who couldn't stand to wear them long enough to break them in. Both pair $300. They will last me the rest of my life. I went through the WETTING process of soaking the entire boot overnight then draining and then walking in them for 2 hours. Then you dry them for a few days and treat them with leather treatment. Then you wear them like regular shoes for a couple weeks. After that they are YOURS forever. They are not technically as waterproof as other boots. But they make up for their shortcomings in other areas like longevity and comfort. But I still stand by my recommendation for Danner Pronghorns 400g Goretex. Off the shelf they are ready to rock and you can get them at your local sporting goods store. Mine lasted 7 years and after having the lugs reglued they are still comfy with new insoles being worn by a Happy Homeless person.

I didn't go to that extreme breaking my Aerostich Combat Touring Lites last year, but I did go on a couple walks before riding and they took a while to break in.  LOVE them!  They aren't rated to be waterproof and don't have goretex but I've never had wet feet. 

I just rode home in an absolute downpour today.  I had to ride the bike through puddles in the road which splashed directly onto my tourmasters.  my feet were completely dry when I got home.  you can spend a LOT more on boots, but you can't ask for better performance than that.  :nananana:

That's a good pitch on the Tourmaster boots. Which model/year boot and how much were they? Are they good for long distance touring with walking and off the bike activities?

$520 high top, leather, thick sole riding boots, back zippers.

Since my 'glide is heel-toe, there isn't a mark on them from shifting. Once or twice a year I hit them with Snow Seal and I keep them buff polished most of the time.

Comfortable as heck. Protects my feet and lower leg from case heat.

When it rains, if its a long/heavy rain, I put the TourMaster boot covers over them. No need to carry more than one pair of boots anymore. If the rain is light, they are water resistant enough I don't need the covers.

These boots have been coast to coast several times, and before I got the right side heel guard that attaches to the floorboard, I left a little of the inner heel of the right boot on the exhaust heat shield. Some of it is still there.  :rotflmao:

Regarding the Aerostich Combat Touring Boots: I should have clarified one pair of these the I purchased were Touring Lites and one pair were the classic heavier Combat Touring Boots. Those are the ones I wet down and walked around in. I got the tip on speeding up the break in procedure from the Aerostich blog. The leather is noticeably heavier and of course they are a few inches taller too. The Touring Lites seemed to be softer and did not need the break in process in my opinion.

Those $520 high tops sound like some heavy duty boots for sure. When I first read it I thought it meant TENNIS SHOES,  :))

dlama said:
That's a good pitch on the Tourmaster boots. Which model/year boot and how much were they? Are they good for long distance touring with walking and off the bike activities?

these were about 100 bucks online.  the tourmaster solution 2 if i recall correct.  the WP version.  I got them about a year ago.  metric size 47 fit my size 12.5 foot well.  they are about 7 out of 10 for walking.  I have to wear high socks because the top rubs my leg a bit.  other than that, fine, but my feet never give me problems to begin with.  I certainly would not recommend them for hiking, but they do ok.

as for dream boots....this one:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-adventure-boots?gclid=CM6piM3hvdQCFQwYgQodz_EOJA

Sport Rider said:
dlama said:

these were about 100 bucks online.  the tourmaster solution 2 if i recall correct.  the WP version.  I got them about a year ago.  metric size 47 fit my size 12.5 foot well.  they are about 7 out of 10 for walking.  I have to wear high socks because the top rubs my leg a bit.  other than that, fine, but my feet never give me problems to begin with.  I certainly would not recommend them for hiking, but they do ok.
Wow, your feedback is good to hear.  My issues with that boot have been purely from a comfort standpoint, but I haven't had them long enough yet to have hit a real soaker.  I'm glad to hear they should stay dry.

Alpinestar touring boots. Waterproof (important in the UK), comfy, and most importantly avalable in manly sizes.
Mine are 16US/50EU.

Boomer said:
Alpinestar touring boots. Waterproof (important in the UK), comfy, and most importantly avalable in manly sizes.
Mine are 16US/50EU.

George....you need to change your forum name to Bigfoot!  ;D

Tim, that's what I'm talking about right there. You are making a great point. Entry level motorcycle boots and many of them that are considered upscale are really basically junk with hard plastic pieces attached at certain points to protect shins, ankles and heels. But how exactly are they even tested if they are not "racing" boots? And then you have the comfort factor. Motorcycle boots are strange to look at in so many ways. Why should Moto Touring boots look different than any other great pair of all weather hiking boots?

I'm convinced that most of the cheapie Moto boots for less than $100 retail would not hold up for rugged use, year after year. Some of them would likely come apart if put to the test. Why do I say that? My first pair of Moto boots were an eBay special. Inexpensive leather boots with inside zippers. These were sporty with a generic name and a Velcro flap at the top and a Velcro outer pad on the foot to protect from scraping. I treated the leather and rode in them a couple times. Then I had to dab my foot at a stop sign. The rubber sole came loose from leather and my sock pushed right through the side of the boot. Wow. $45 eBay lesson learned. They were barely used boots and they were crap when they were new.

I know we need protection like shin guards. But if the pants have knee and shin guards why do the boots need them too? Yes, I know the best boots have ankle protection. I believe in ATGATT. Always have and always will. But when you are logging long days and the boots don't feel good, you eventually start thinking about a CHANGE...

Tourmaster size 11 vented for summer socks and size 12 WP for winter socks. Long trips with the vented ones and I pack Frog Togg boot covers. Can't stand hot feet.  These are the cheapest gear I own and they just do the job.

Dainese track boots for Dragon runs and local mtn twisty riding chasing my buddies on R1s and etc. Only one track day (3 days) so far and dreaming of more. Amazing feeling of safety and control but wouldn't want to walk far in them or wear them out prematurely. $699 at Cycle Gear - eBay from Europe $385 shipped.

I'd give the Tourmasters 8/10 comfort off the bike and maybe good for 2-4 years/60k miles. Not exactly forever boots but at $119 or so it's all good.

:beerchug:

I bought the Tourmaster WP after years of wearing Bates racing boots. And I know just between my wife and myself, what we are comfortable in is very different. Wore the Tourmaster on a trip to 4 corners area (from PA) and up to Alberta. Bot trips did extensive hiking (2 hikes in Alberta were 10 miles each) and no blisters, comfortable, and stayed dry (even hiking a day in heavy rain). They also held up well in an accident.  YMMV

At the age of most of us going down is going to really hurt and have lasting effects. Additional shin guards are the least of my worries. Plus I like to get off my bike and hike, fish, explore, eat at restaurants etc... Motorcycle specific boots are cumbersome, rigid, difficult to walk long distance etc... I can walk all day in a pair those Bates Boots and the boots can be removed almost instantly. I have also gone to Kevlar Jeans. Someone needs to make Kevlar Waders.

ConcoursKZ said:
Hiddenmickey said:

I will try those. Do you have them ? Also the nice thing about the laces on those boots is they never loosen up.

I do have them.  Use them for riding and for work.  They seem to hold up well.  My feet don't seem to get too hot either.  They polish well too if that's a concern.

I know there will be dissent, but in my years of riding, Value is a direct corollary of price. 
I have purchased alot of cheap gear, and specifically when I didn't have the money to spend on a name brand or higher quality gear.

This year I finally ponied-up and got a pair of SiDI Adventure Goretex boots, and couldn't be happier.
The only complaint I have, is just like everyone else: they get NOISEY and CREAKY as they get broken-in, but bomb-proof, comfortable right out of the box, waterproof, and high-level of protection.

They ARE warm in the summer, but I don't ride over 90degrees if I can help it.

Speaking of warm in the summer: in my experience with Goretex boots I have found ambient heat has an apex point becomes harder to manage the more skin you have exposed: the temperature of the pavement and the heat of the motor at some point is hotter than the inside of the boot and the goretex along with the accompanying thinsulate (if equipped in your boot) or other layer, actually keeps you cooler at that point as it deflects heat.  I'd rather have Goretex boots on a long distance ride across Hwy 50 in Nevada in August than perforated Air-TEC whatever letting in 135+ degree asphalt air boil my feet.

It's true there is a middle cool temperature that perforated boots feel airy and light. But they also feel exposed to me. Like maybe they wouldn't hold up in a serious friction event like a slide or a crash. And the temperature range they feel good is not that wide. Then of course, the rain...

When riding on the Buck Sport Touring Pegs in summer the hot blast on my feet is sometimes worse than tucked in the regular rider position. Most of us probably know this from winter riding looking for a warm spot. Less wind, less ambient temperature blast. But I have found the Goretex really works on both ends of the temperature scale to protect my feet.

This goes for other clothing as well but that's another subject for another post that can also include discussion on heat, shade and  hydration.

I have a pair of Lucchese elephant hide cowboy boots with rubber soles that I ve worn for the last 30 years.

SiDi Adventure Gore-Tex is my choice. You can still find them on sale since they made Adventure 2. Frankly, I could not understand how Adv2 are so many dollars better compared to old boots, take a look on revzilla if interested in video comparison.

Bought them in 2012, made about 50K km in Europe and ~5K miles so far in US. Waterproof in any conditions. You'll probably need heated insoles for riding in the cold for a while (<30-32F). Just replaced the soles this summer - old ones became too slippy, probably accumulated some oil/diesel from the roads.

Only one con for me: too hot for 80F++.

xcore said:
SiDi Adventure Gore-Tex is my choice.

Only one con for me: too hot for 80F++.

I agree, and I have a cheaper pair of vented Firstgear Mesh Hi Boots for hot-hot riding.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-mesh-hi-boots

I also have a much more serious pair of SIDI Vertigo Corsa Air boots that I break out when I'm "acting" like a sportbike rider.  :motonoises:

I literally have three full sets of gear for most occasions.  Right tool for the job....

gr

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-tour-rain-boots

I went with the SIDI tour rain boots, I only have about 8000 miles with them so far but love them. I wear them everyday for commuting but have to change them out for steel toes when I get to work, they are very comfortable and actually seem to put my feet in a better riding position.

Yes very water proof, I ride in all weather and have been through very heavy rain down here in Mississippi. I did a lot of walking around in them when I went up to Niagara Falls and here at home when I am out and about, I think they are like a regular boot for comfort. I always wear boots though, I do have a pair of shoes but have worn them maybe 4 times this year, so I am a boot guy anyway.

I think these Sidi boots will hold up very well if they continue to wear like they are, overall a very good fit and finish and they perform exactly as advertised.

I wear Danner Fort Lewis boots. They are Berry compliant(can be worn on active duty), USA made 10' tall leather, Goretex lined with 200 gram Thinsulate insulation. You can hike for days in them and have the same style of sole and heel as most adventure boots. I put tongue protectors from the Rainforest model which adds to the shin protection.  Danner boots can also be re-crafted at the factory instead of buying new ones. I have some CE rated riding boots but I have only worn them on one trip because the Danner's are way more comfortable. :great:

Danner makes some damn fine footwear, many of my LEO riding friends use them in the line of duty. I came very close to getting them over my last Sidis.

Only because I'm irritated  I Love the SIDI Cobra Gore Tex  Went to order a pair and they are discontinued. Found a pair in Closeout and they had 2  so bought them both. I could try the new improved but I want what I know :beerchug: 

freebird6 said:
Thinking I may try the newer version of the Forma boot. I have been wearing the higher adventures for 4 years. I like the weight and athletic feet of the mid and outsole. Light and roomy cut for american feet and all day walking comfort when I am off the bike. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-adventure-low-boots
I bought a pair of the Forma Adventure boots,walked ten feet in them and boxed them back up for a return, something in the toe wasn’t made right and I could feel it,
I ordered the Forma Low and they should be here in a day or two!
Or maybe my foot wasn’t made right :)) :))

I’ve enjoyed my Alpinestars Roam 2 WP boots.  Not too high or short and synthetic material and 3 Velcro closures are nice.  Very comfortable!

FTB530 said:
freebird6 said:
Thinking I may try the newer version of the Forma boot. I have been wearing the higher adventures for 4 years. I like the weight and athletic feet of the mid and outsole. Light and roomy cut for american feet and all day walking comfort when I am off the bike. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-adventure-low-boots
I bought a pair of the Forma Adventure boots,walked ten feet in them and boxed them back up for a return, something in the toe wasn’t made right and I could feel it,

You get those new boots yet? I have been looking at the Forma Adventure in the low top as well. If not the Forma I will most likely get a pair of Danners as I have worked in Danner boots for years.

Grant said:
FTB530 said:
freebird6 said:

Yes I have them, have put a few hundred miles riding and a little walking, they are comfortable so far.
I’m not sure how long the buckles will last they don’t seem to be real strong and I don’t think the. Lot itself would really help much saying the bike happened to fall on your foot, if I was off reading I would buy something with more protection!

You get those new boots yet? I have been looking at the Forma Adventure in the low top as well. If not the Forma I will most likely get a pair of Danners as I have worked in Danner boots for years.

Danner Acadias when it's hot, great duty boot as well, still polish up.

My Gaerne MX boots when it's early/late season.

Dayrides it's the Oxtars.

I had the tourmaster WP boots  for 7 years and they finally started leaking around the sole in the rain. I replaced them with the new epic tourmaster boots. It took awhile for them to break in and they are water proof as I have been through some really heavy rain with them.

I'm using two pairs of Tourmaster boots.  I wanted both Spring, Summer, Fall boots, and Fall, Winter, Spring boots.  So I tried both types of the Tourmaster boots.  I have the Tourmaster Epic boots for the cooler three seasons and the Tourmaster Solution 2 WP Air for the warmer seasons.  I like both so far.

The Epic boots are the newer models.  The boot is higher and the protection seems better all over.  The fit in the foot is a little more snug too.  Not uncomfortable at all.  Just not loose.  The Epic boots don't breathe as well as the "Air" versions.  But they aren't bad at all.  My feet don't sweat in them any more than any other boot.

The Solution 2 WP Air boots are a looser fit.  One owner said it felt like he was wearing rubber galoshes.  I wouldn't go that far, but they are a loose fit all over.

Both have been comfortable for walking all day in.  Both have proven to be waterproof in some really wet riding.

The biggest problem I had with the Epic boots was the height.  I wasn't used to it and it felt strange at first.  Now, it's no big deal.  If I had to buy new boots, I'd get another of the Tourmaster Epic or Epic Air.

Chris

I purchased a pair of Tour Master Epic Air last June. I purchased these boots just prior to a month long road trip I did from Atlanta, GA to Hyder, AK. The Epic Air boots are waterproof, and are supposed to be air mesh. The boots are comfortable, and protective. They close by a side zipper, and they have adequate shin, ankle, and foot protection.

I wear a 13EE, and apparently all boot manufacturers only make footwear for normal size feet. I bought these hoping to get a pair of protective boots that aren't clunky Harley style boots. Based on other reviews I went with the next size up and got the 14W. As usual, RevZilla was speedy on the shipping, and the boots arrived in just a few days. When I initially tried them on with cycling style socks they were just too snug on my right foot (it's my larger foot). They weren't tight, just a bit snug. My fear was that after several hours touring on the bike they may become a bit tighter, and create a very uncomfortable pressure on my foot. I've had this happen in the past.

Due to this, I had planned on returning the boots. However, a friend suggested I try wearing compression socks since they are rather thin, and see if that worked. I did as he suggested, and WOW! What a difference. Wearing the compression socks not only helps when doing long rides, it made the boots fit perfectly. They are comfortable to wear on, and off the bike. I think they offer an ample amount of protection, and they don't feel heavy and clunky.

I rate them a 4 out of 5 based on the following two issues:

1.) The boots are rated as waterproof, but breathable.I did not find them to be too breathable. In fact they are a bit warm. Now, in all fairness to Tour Master, I do live in the southeastern U.S., and I', only wearing them for the first time in the beginning of the summer. Each ride has shown temps in the low 90's with 90%+ humidity and no rain. The boots are still comfortable, and I think no matter what I would be wearing my feet would be warm.

2.) No pull tab on the back of the boot. This may seem trivial, but for $200 it would be nice had Tour Master put a pull tab on the back of the boot to assist one in getting their foot into the foot bed. Not having one makes it a challenge sometimes, and it would just be easier to have it.

My overall impression of the boot is quite positive. If you are in the market for a quality touring style boot that offers adequate protection, then I think you will be happy with this choice. I know I am.

I have a couple pairs of Danner Arcadia's left over from my LE days. One pair is not insulated and I rarely use these for the Connie. The 900 yes. The other pair is insulated which keeps my feet warm in the winter and cool in the summer even with the heat of the 09.  I wore the insulated Arcadia's for the Bun Cooler held 3rd weekend of May. We had rain from the time I left the house and most of the way the Kamiah, ID. My "water proof" gloves gave up the ghost but the Danner's never leaked. Not one drop.   

I got the latest SIDI Adventure boots. The squeak is gone from the design, so far, I've had them since January. Been through some heavy rain and my feet stay dry. Same goes for the heat, the Gore-Tex really does a great job. Was looking for a boot with great ankle protection and Gore-Tex, and these seemed to fit the bill. I'd buy them again.

Hiddenmickey said:

I forgot to say thanks for posting this -- I bought a pair right after, but they sat in the box for a bit; however, about a month ago I started wearing these because I could get off the bike and pretty much walk wherever I wanted for as long as I wanted -- not the least expensive, but I like `em... I put in those elastic laces and along with the zippers are easy, easy to get into and out of, but yet feel very supportive and comfy when they are fully on for a full day... they get my vote...

Interesting thread, I'm so used to heavy duty Gaerne mx boots that my Sidi race boots feel like im not wearing anything at all. I carry a pair of Jordans with me everywhere for off bike use because I want max protection on my feet and ankles while on the bike. I've seen too many threads on gruesome foot injuries to not wear some hard plastic down there. My Sidi Vertebra 2s have lasted through 3 big crashes, 2 resoles and countless toe sliders, purchased in 03 and treated regularly with sno-seal. A pair of Combat Touring Lites is on my wish list though.