• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What fork oil brand/weight and other recommendations?

Hello everyone. I have had a weird noise coming from the front end that seems to be getting louder. It started earlier this year and is getting worse. The best I can tell is it's coming from the forks when I compress the suspension. The bike has 40K so need to service the the forks anyways (2009 that's never been done). While I'm changing the fluid and seals, should I be considering anything else such as upgraded springs or valves? I'm 170lbs, don't ride two up much but do tour with a full load including camping gear. Thanks for any advice.
Justin

If it's a rattle noticeable at slow speeds over gravel or cracks, try to wiggle the brake rotors to see if solid. I had an FJR that had rotors replaced under warranty.

Thanks for reply red. I've check the brakes and other candidates such as the front fender and fairings. The noise can be heard when the front is compressed either at slow speed or just sitting on the bike and squatting the front end. I'm sure it's doing it all the time but can't hear it at higher speeds. Anyone know of a good suspension shop around the Cincinnati tristate area? Might just want to hit the easy button and have someone redo my suspension but they must be reputable in order for me to have someone touch my baby.

I used the Honda Suspension Fluid when I did my forks. I think it's the 5W. Seems like most change the fork oil when the seals start to leak. I'm not sure what could be rattling inside the forks. I would look for an external source first.

The first time I had mine apart at about 25k, the plastic spacer on top the spring broke as I was compressing the spring. That's about all I could think of inside the fork that could come loose and make noise.

At 25k the fluid was so contaminated with aluminum it looked like a bottle of metal flake. And there was 1/8 inch of sludge in the bottom of the tube.

5w is stock. I use Maxima 7w race fluid simply because that's what Traxxion supplies with their kit. I've used it in stock forks also, the guy likes it.

Springs and spacers would be good. Stock springs are light according to all reports.

I'm about an hour north of Cincinnati. Not really a suspension shop but capable of your needs. Your welcome to have a look before leaving the bike. Ill put up some photos later.

Great info Laker. I'm guessing I'll find my fork oil in worse shape that yours since I'm at 40k. I'd love to do the Traxxion kit but that's a bit more than I have laying around. I do wonder the how much better the kit would make my bike behave especially if I added a Penske rear (thought those weren't available anymore). I may have to settle for just the spring kit. Has anyone upgraded to these springs with a (1.15kg/mm) rate? I'm about 180lbs in my bday suit. Anything else I would need besides fork seals and oil?

Has anyone upgraded to these springs with a (1.15kg/mm) rate? I'm about 180lbs in my bday suit. Anything else I would need besides fork seals and oil?
Those springs come with the AK20's. I have them, I could use 1.2's because (240) I'm fat and abusive. I know the Ohlins rear are not available. Haven't heard about the Penske being unavailable but I haven't checked either. Seals, oil and springs, plus aluminum spacers from traxxion would be my suggestions. In the pictures you'll see some dirty oil. Thats from 30k on the ak20s. Stock was much much worse.

Attachments

• 20190805_140219[4314].jpg
    20190805_140219[4314].jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20190805_140920.jpg
    20190805_140920.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20190805_161834.jpg
    20190805_161834.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0390.jpg
    IMAG0390.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 69
I think I'm going to send both front and rear shocks out to have them re-valved/sprung. Has anyone removed both at the same time? Not sure how this would be accomplished without a special stand. Guessing that when the front wheel and forks are removed, the bike will sit back on rear wheel (bike on center stand). I could then remove the rear shock without removing the rear wheel? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I think I'm going to send both front and rear shocks out to have them re-valved/sprung. Has anyone removed both at the same time? Not sure how this would be accomplished without a special stand. Guessing that when the front wheel and forks are removed, the bike will sit back on rear wheel (bike on center stand). I could then remove the rear shock without removing the rear wheel? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I sent mine out. Removed both but shipped separately. I made a strut for the rear out of some scrap metal so I could jack under the motor and then removed front tire.

I used the Honda Suspension Fluid when I did my forks. I think it's the 5W. Seems like most change the fork oil when the seals start to leak. I'm not sure what could be rattling inside the forks. I would look for an external source first.
I used the Honda 5W suspension fluid per Fred Harmon’s videos when I had to replace leaky seals this summer. I plan to do the same when I change the fork oil again next summer.