• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What have you done to your _______(insert other bike here) today?

SteveJ

Just for grins I thought this might get to be a cool thread. I'm thinkin' start off with the bike you're posting about at the beginning.

Me first..  ;)

Versys650LT

Yesterday I installed a do it yourself seat from Seat Concepts. I only rode it two miles, but(t) should be good. Going on a 175 mile RTE on Sunday, should be a better test.

Oh, and BTW, the seat (foam, new cover, plastic rain guard) was $205 to my door. It took about an hour to install the goodies.

SteveJ,

I too have a Seat Concepts seat on my Yamaha FZ09 and its a great value.  I pinged them about doing one for the Connie a couple of weeks ago and they indicated that they currently did not have enough interest to justify the mold costs.  I think if they'd hang around here they might get a better sense of the potential demand.  There are some good options available, but to my knowledge all are more expensive...

I'm not sure where to post this one.  last night I got an axle and wheel from a 1200 goldwing and test-fit them to my leading link front end.  eventually this front end will be installed on my C10 along with building the framework to attach a sidecar.

Sport Rider said:
I'm not sure where to post this one.  last night I got an axle and wheel from a 1200 goldwing and test-fit them to my leading link front end.  eventually this front end will be installed on my C10 along with building the framework to attach a sidecar.

Cool project.

2016 HD Tri Glide Ultra ..... heated touring seat, heated grips, air suspension controller, hitch, cup holder, twin Angel bells, deer whistles, second aux power lighted switch (will eventually turn the flood lights on the back of the trailer on so I can where I'm backing in the dark).  Baker Drivetrain F6R mechanical 6 speed with reverse. Seat bag. Rack bag. Trunk and tour pak luggage. Reel-up trunk door tethers. Windscreen pouches. Highway pegs. LED tour pak rack that does turns, brakes, and running light. Probably something else...

What did I get for it? A J&S Jacks pneumatic trike lift and a Kobolt air compressor. Travel cover. Garage/outdoor storage cover.

Gypsy JR said:
2016 HD Tri Glide Ultra ..... heated touring seat, heated grips, air suspension controller, hitch, cup holder, twin Angel bells, deer whistles, second aux power lighted switch (will eventually turn the flood lights on the back of the trailer on so I can where I'm backing in the dark).  Baker Drivetrain F6R mechanical 6 speed with reverse. Seat bag. Rack bag. Trunk and tour pak luggage. Reel-up trunk door tethers. Windscreen pouches. Highway pegs. LED tour pak rack that does turns, brakes, and running light. Probably something else...

What did I get for it? A J&S Jacks pneumatic trike lift and a Kobolt air compressor. Travel cover. Garage/outdoor storage cover.

Wow! You surely got a lot of farkling done today. I'm impressed. (But I do impress easily.)  ;) :beerchug:

SteveJ. said:
Gypsy JR said:

Wow! You surely got a lot of farkling done today. I'm impressed. (But I do impress easily.)  ;) :beerchug:

Naw, catching up. This is the first thread about this which asked about other than Connies.

Versys650LT

Washed it. :-\

Added tank vent/drain breather hose. After removing the evap cannister a source related to the interweb that one outlet was to be plugged. Wrong. Had water under gas cap when I got fuel. Dumped in a bit of iso Heet just to be on the safe side.

it's no what I've done but what I'm going to do to the 900. I have in my hot little hands a petcock rebuild kit, a float needle and seat for carb #3 and new black screws for the carb clamps. After those parts get installed it's time to break out the carb tune and sync the carbs. It's been too cold to turn on the garage heat.

I'll chime in. 2014 Vmax. Started a significant winter project. I am currently installing:
Braided SS front and rear brake lines along with clutch line.
Power Commander 5 (PC V), PC v ignition module, PC V Auto tuner, PC V ignition module, PC V display pod
CO2 powered air shifter, modified horn wiring so that the horn button can be used to shift
Modified wiring for clutch switch to allow launch control (rev limit at launch)
Modified air box, added 2 additional K&N air filters
Converting to Bi-Xenon HID headlight (same set-up I have been running on the Connie for years)
Adding 2 LED driving lights
Switching turn signals to slightly smaller, better looking LED, with the LED flasher
Adding a "dead man" switch.... required when you run in the 9's in the quarter mile
switched over to bar-end mirrors

txfatboy said:
I'll chime in. 2014 Vmax. Started a significant winter project. I am currently installing:
Power Commander 5 (PC V), PC v ignition module, PC V Auto tuner, PC V ignition module, PC V display pod
CO2 powered air shifter, modified horn wiring so that the horn button can be used to shift
Converting to Bi-Xenon HID headlight (same set-up I have been running on the Connie for years)
Switching turn signals to slightly smaller, better looking LED, with the LED flasher
Adding a "dead man" switch.... required when you run in the 9's in the quarter mile

Nice project.

Ah, did some engine cleaning and put my refurbished starter motor back on my 1970 CL350 Honda, and it (the starter motor)now works! Next I want to do a compression test, if it passes (and I believe it will) then I will keep throwing money and time at it as I plan to then keep it.  Need to put the pipes back on, take the forks off again, did not have the correct seals first time, try to do more cleaning, not quite happy with the carbs yet, wish these things had vacuum ports to set the carbs.

I sold it.  I no longer have a KLR.  I am kind of sad but used the sale of the C10 and KLR for buying my C14.  Now I have owned 4 Concours that I have not had to pay more than $4k out of pocket for and ridden them over 200k miles.

VisionDonNebr said:
Ah, did some engine cleaning and put my refurbished starter motor back on my 1970 CL350 Honda, and it (the starter motor)now works! Next I want to do a compression test, if it passes (and I believe it will) then I will keep throwing money and time at it as I plan to then keep it.  Need to put the pipes back on, take the forks off again, did not have the correct seals first time, try to do more cleaning, not quite happy with the carbs yet, wish these things had vacuum ports to set the carbs.

Hey Don. Glad to see it's coming along.

SteveJ. said:
Versys650LT

Added tank vent/drain breather hose. After removing the evap cannister a source related to the interweb that one outlet was to be plugged. Wrong. Had water under gas cap when I got fuel. Dumped in a bit of iso Heet just to be on the safe side.

you washed it?  don't let the C10 find out  ;D

txfatboy said:

What are you doing for drive-shafts? I know a girl that snaps hers on occasion without even trying to run 9s  :-\

Running 9s on a VMax -begs the question - have you been this fast or faster on a bike before? I've had 11 second cars - can't even imagine what running 9s (or even 11s) on a bike would be like. Super cool. In my days at the drag strip the dark art of launching a bike was not appealing to me. Now it's something I just respect the heck out of.

:beerchug:

stevewfl said:
SteveJ. said:
Versys650LT

you washed it?  don't let the C10 find out  ;D

It's gone to a new home in Tampa. The secret is out, though as the c-10 and the Versys renewed their acquaintance at River Ratz. You wouldn't reCOGnize it. It had purple paint underneath the entomology collection. Who'd a thunk it?

smithr1 said:
I sold it.  I no longer have a KLR.  I am kind of sad but used the sale of the C10 and KLR for buying my C14.  Now I have owned 4 Concours that I have not had to pay more than $4k out of pocket for and ridden them over 200k miles.

Hi,
        That would be a great trade to me! :beerchug:

Your gonna love that C14! :great:

It amazes me everytime I get OFF of mine!!! ;D >:D >:D >:D

Attachments

• GetImage.jpeg
    GetImage.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 200
Ordered a new Auxiliary tank assembly for the 690 Enduro from Rade garage in europe somewhere. Now I won't have to use the brand new Rotopax can for extra fuel on my trip! A real bargain at 412$ shipped!  Woohoo!

Fais said:
txfatboy said:

What are you doing for drive-shafts? I know a girl that snaps hers on occasion without even trying to run 9s  :-\

Running 9s on a VMax -begs the question - have you been this fast or faster on a bike before? I've had 11 second cars - can't even imagine what running 9s (or even 11s) on a bike would be like. Super cool. In my days at the drag strip the dark art of launching a bike was not appealing to me. Now it's something I just respect the heck out of.

2009-present V-max.... running in the 9's is no problem.... with a few mods. As far as breaking drive shafts, until now, I have only heard of one other and it was with a slick and a shot of N2O. Yamaha asked the owner for the broken shaft for inspection because it wasn't supposed to be "breakable". If she is breaking the drive shaft on a 2nd gen, she may have a problem, like a tweaked swing arm or something. There are dozens of 2nd gen V-max riders in the 9's with no problems. It's actually pretty easy on this bike if you want to.
Oh, and don't doubt for a second that I pound the snot out of this bike.  ;) It's like a drug..... stupid power, solid suspension, fantastic brakes.... It BEGS to be ridden hard. BTW, check out the video I posted "2014 V-max at the drag strip" in the racing section. That is me, on my bike, short-shifting on an easy pass, because it was the very first pass on a track with that bike.... and still ran a 7.0 in the eighth mile leaving from idle.  ;D

SteveJ. said:
txfatboy said:

Nice project.

Thanks Steve. I can't wait to get back on it and use the air shifter. It was already crazy fun to ride....  :motonoises:

Dropped of the rear rim, tire and tube at a shop today for the 900. We'll see if they can figure out the "Wheel Locks." for the tire.  :motonoises:

Bought a 2006 Suzuki DR 650 last month. The prev owner had put after-mkt high flow header, mid pipe, and a muffler from an early model GSXR 1000 on the bike which leaked air from every connection. Turns out he had used only one of the three required gaskets. I replaced the header pipe with a FMF powerbomb and put it all back with the proper gaskets and new spring tensioners. With the leaks eliminated the noise level is drastically reduced as well as the decel popping.
Next I have to figure out the airbox mods and carb jetting. It came with the side cover removed from the airbox (a recommended mod along with the muffler combination from the folks over at DRRiders.com) which I'm not comfortable with since its only covered by the plastic side cover and is open to dust and moisture. I'll probably replace the side cover and cut a 3''by3'' hole in the top of the airbox which has a lttle more protection being under the seat. The stock carb has been re-jetted to match the exhaust and airbox mods but with new header and now an efficient exhaust line it will probably need tweeking. (my spell check tried to change that to "twerking") :-\
Once I get the power mods worked out I'm going to address the mushy suspension but that's going to require some big bucks.
Overall I love this bike. I haven't ridden off road since college days so that will be a major learning curve but I'm taking it easy and hope to find a nearby MSF Dirt School course nearby this spring.

I washed my Versys650 again. Third time now.  :eek:

It got a bit dirty from the flogging I gave it last week in TN, NC, GA. About 2000 miles between to/from and hammering on excellent not crowded roads. Even hit the Dragon on Thurs and met not one single car or bike the whole route from TN until the Dragon Store. Awesome.

Drive chains have definitely come a long way. I rode 550 miles up at just under 80, about 900 miles hammering it in the mountains, and 550 back into the wind at 80-90 mph. I only had to adjust the chain one flat on the adjuster bolt. D.I.D. X-ring chain with fresh sprockets and Chameleon Plus oiler.

After this trip, I really, really like this bike. Stable in the wind on the freeway, excellent manners on the fun roads,a fun engine that is alive and really fun, smooth and quiet at 5-9k rpm. Just enough exhaust noise when getting on it to float my boat. And it's purty.

I wonder if there is a Shoodaben Engineering flash in it's future.  :motonoises: :motonoises:

Fork oil!  It was suggested going to a heavier oil (from 10 to 15), because I'm huge (6'3" 240). 

IMG_20170121_150032.jpg

It was dirty and low.  I might be the first to have changed it...
IMG_20170121_152800.jpg

Not nearly so wallowy now, tight even... then I cleaned it after going for a ride on salty, sandy, Ontario February roads...
C5dPQ8BUsAAHgoQ.jpg

IMG_20170220_161842.jpg

Quote from: Gypsy JR on February 02, 2017, 09:52:50 pm

deer whistles....those things really work???? :truce: Deer Beware!

The shop figured out the wheel locks and the 900 is sporting a new rear tire. Pulled the carb rack, put in a float needle and seat in #3. Set the float with the clear tube test and reinstalled the carb rack. Fresh gas in an empty tank and she fired right off. No leaks out of the over flow tubes. Yeah!!!. Went for a cold and short ride today. Runs good. The rear tire is smooth and I like it. I had never run an IRC before. Profile is better than the typical old school Dunlap.

Next is a carb sync with the Morgan Carb Tune and readjust the air screws.  :)

Traxxion says my rear Penske shock must have come off a wrecked bike. So, a simple revalve and spring now also gets a new shaft.

Up front, I thought I blew the seals. No - someone did that long ago. Seriously glad I dropped Sue off. The spa treatment should set me straight.

Now - where do I get to ride a bike with no tags and no lights to see how it feels? I'm thinking the parking lot between Pep Boys and Home Depot on a sunny day  ;D ;D ;D

i took the 91 vfr750 for a ride over to leipers fork for lunch at Puckett's restaurant and rode home, then changed oil. sorry no pics

I took my wr250r out for a short cruz for bbq. The thing don't need much maint at all...a lazy man's dream!  ;D

Ordered up a new rear tire for the Versys, wore out the one I put on a few months ago. Getting it prepped for a run out to Bic Bend, then Cliff's, then the Conclave.

Then it'll need two more tires.

:motonoises: :motonoises:

Finished up most of the winter project. I am now learning and playing with all of the Power Commander stuff. Man, It's like going back to school.  :??: At least You can quickly get to a point where the bike runs good and then start fine tuning. I am also putting all the stuff I fabricated through a thorough torture test. I want to make sure nothing cracks, bends, breaks, etc.. before I powder coat it all. Out of all of it, the Co2 air shifter has to be the favorite mod. Being able to just push the horn button when  you want another gear is just too much fun. All I have to do is reach down a flick a toggle switch and the tune is switched to "go faster" and the air shifter system gets activated. I can't wait to get it on the drag strip this spring.  :motonoises:

Attachments

• 20170318_200048.jpg
    20170318_200048.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 20170318_231415.jpg
    20170318_231415.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 149
Finally was able to get the door of the shed open (frost lifts the concrete slab) and get the ST1300 out. Trying out a "new" Russell Day Long seat, ordered a new air filter, change the oil/filter for the season.
Looking at another ST1300 to do some farkle swaps and a resale.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 144
Since I last posted on Feb 15, my 1970 Honda CL350 is now back together again and tonight's test ride went great.  Over this winter besides the previously mentioned starter R&R, new regulator, new condenser, and I think most important, it now has a full FACTORY air cleaner system. It came with Uni foam filters (that were sort of coming apart) and last fall it just never ran right and since only the intake rubber held the carbs on, heck, one of the carbs came off on me once. With the factory system the carbs are held on from both sides, much better!  On the road happy to say it would tach out in all the lower gears and hold 6 grand on the highway (about 60 mph).  A front came through while I celebrated in a local bar about 5 miles from home and now with a good tail wind, the old Honda easily would hold 7 grand on the highway.  Afraid it don't have much passing power at high speeds, great town bike, but this light naked bike at 60 or greater is not very enjoyable. 

VisionDonNebr said:
Since I last posted on Feb 15, my 1970 Honda CL350 is now back together again and tonight's test ride went great.  Over this winter besides the previously mentioned starter R&R, new regulator, new condenser, and I think most important, it now has a full FACTORY air cleaner system. It came with Uni foam filters (that were sort of coming apart) and last fall it just never ran right and since only the intake rubber held the carbs on, heck, one of the carbs came off on me once. With the factory system the carbs are held on from both sides, much better!  On the road happy to say it would tach out in all the lower gears and hold 6 grand on the highway (about 60 mph).  A front came through while I celebrated in a local bar about 5 miles from home and now with a good tail wind, the old Honda easily would hold 7 grand on the highway.  Afraid it don't have much passing power at high speeds, great town bike, but this light naked bike at 60 or greater is not very enjoyable.

Yay!  Now on to a new project? Oh, I guess you'd better be saving your bike money for the rally next month!  :motonoises:

I remember way, way back when I had my Kaw two-smoke triple (350) and my cousin had one like yours. We were riding along together and when we came up behind a couple of 18 wheelers, I down shifted and passed them both... then waited for my cousin to pass them too. And waited...  and waited... and waited. After a few minutes I pulled over on the shoulder and let those trucks pass me and there was my cousin, tucked in behind that first truck still. I hollered at him asking why didn't he pass those trucks, and he told me that he had the throttle pinned back all the way now!  :D  It was all he could do to just keep up with the truck, while I had tons more top end at my disposal. I thought that was amazing... two bikes, both rated at 350cc, yet so different in performance!
:nananana:
I might see you for breakfast on the 20th. I don't know if you saw where Bill is wanting to change breakfast to somewhere down in Lincoln. Since it was just me and Bob last month, I'm gonna see if Bob wants to just meet me at Denny's again and to heck with going all the way to Lincoln. If I don't see you at breakfast I'll see you at the rally. The first one to check in gets to stock the fridge with adult beverage!  ;)

Yup, I would hate to have to pass on the highway with the old 350, I think it will do maybe close to 80 but it take awhile to get there.  Sorry, on the road the 20th so see you in MO....I don't believe the room pictures show that a cooling device comes with our rooms-don't see a micro wave either....??

New rear tire mounted on my Versys, second one since mid December. 9000 miles since then. Yes, I like this bike. Also changed the oil and drew a sample to send off to Blackstone Labs.

Taking off next week for Mn, BC, AB, and the Pac northwet for three months. Estimate 5-6000 miles on this trip. I'll have an extra set of tires with as these may not make the trip.

Yeehaw.

KTM 690R  Last evening

Replaced tube in front tire. Factory tube in a new tire installed 500 miles ago.  Small scar must have nicked it on the tire install. Put in ridiculously heavy Michelin tube. Same one I have in the rear.
Removed Perelli  MT21 from rear and reinstalled Heidenau K60 hoping to get another 2000 miles out of it.
Changed front sprocket from 14 tooth to 16. Bike is now transformed from Hare Scramble/Motocross mode to Dual Sport mode.
Plan on riding it to the National and back.

BTW 5400 miles on this bike and this is the fifth time I have change tires.  You would think I would get better at it.

scout said:
Quote from: Gypsy JR on February 02, 2017, 09:52:50 pm

deer whistles....those things really work???? :truce: Deer Beware!

Actually, as a decades long hunter who took a Jeep Grand Cherokee with full off-road kit on it (and I don't mean big diameter tires to look cool, either), I went through heavy deer country several times a year. Off of highways, on county and federal access roads, and since we were going to hunt mule deer, the closer we got to our base camp location, the denser the deer became.

In all those decades, not once did a deer even cross in front of the Jeep. It had a pair of deer whistles on it, the same brand as are on my Tri Glide.

So, once you have the experience I do, you can opine on the subject with some relevance.

I got tired of putting plastic bags on my very nice electronic brake controller, so I put it inside a waterproof box on the tongue of the trailer.

Put a Gore Vent on it so when it gets hot, the box can vent.

Been through a couple raging thunderstorms since I installed it, box stays dry inside, which is all I could ask of it.

IMG_23221_zpsa4acs8a8.jpg

Gypsy JR said:
I got tired of putting plastic bags on my very nice electronic brake controller, so I put it inside a waterproof box on the tongue of the trailer.

Put a Gore Vent on it so when it gets hot, the box can vent.

Been through a couple raging thunderstorms since I installed it, box stays dry inside, which is all I could ask of it.

IMG_23221_zpsa4acs8a8.jpg

I like that JR
And I don't like the idea of mounting stuff on my trailer am, but that has no weight.. and lloks like you could put "other" important thangs there for quick access..
Everywhere I go, I haul "protection", and have really considered mounting a small, watertight, quick access box (4 digit keypad type) in that very location, for a "just in case" scenario.. not wanting to grab a key, just bink, bink, bink, bink, and grab... drop a speedloader, and step back.

Thanks for sharing, mini safe on the way.... ffrom sportsmans guide...
Oh, I always have the trunk on, but stupid keys, and the visible part of accessing the trunk, preclude the intent, and give away your "ace in the hole"... I like the little box thing.

Kinda like this, but it would take some sticky foam to seal it... meh, project on.....
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/mini-vault-gun-safe?a=1723155

Of course a glock in the tankbag works, but I'm funny about crossing state lines and such.. dooing that. :great: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

MAN OF BLUES said:
I like that JR
And I don't like the idea of mounting stuff on my trailer am, but that has no weight.. and lloks like you could put "other" important thangs there for quick access..
Everywhere I go, I haul "protection", and have really considered mounting a small, watertight, quick access box (4 digit keypad type) in that very location, for a "just in case" scenario.. not wanting to grab a key, just bink, bink, bink, bink, and grab... drop a speedloader, and step back.

In the greater scheme of things, it is so light that it doesn't change tongue weight really.

The key is on my fob, so its easy to open. I've got a little lock on it just to keep curious people honest, not to protect something truly valuable.

Your mini-safe idea looks to be a cool project!

I switched seats (for the second time this spring) again, at least temporily. I had bought a Russel Day Long seat to try out since the stock seat on Honda ST1300's are typically firmer than most (including myself) care for and also to help out the passenger seating comfort. Got a great deal on a previously owned RDL but for normal short trips/joy rides I wasn't in love with it and not finding the visual appeal to my liking.
A supposed Spencer mod seat was posted on the ST forum for trade for a stock seat. Seemed a good swap opportunity and for daily use I really like this seat. It has multiple vinyl types designed into it and the Pan European logo embroidered nicely into it. Passenger seat as yet untested, but since they are seperate and interchangeable, we can mix/match as needed. The RDL will be reserved for extended rides.

I got a used RDL in leather.  I am thinking of doing the same thing.  Having a short ride daily abuser and save the RDL for the long distance stuff. 

Dumped State Farm insurance. Got trike insured by Harley Owners Group (Progressive) with Total Replacement Cost, vanishing deductible, tons of discounts, trailer coverage, and recovery coverage for $89 / month.

Progressive alone would be more than State Farm, but HOG has a contract with them which requires them to provide pretty large discounting.

So my horse is insured for half the cost per month as it was up until May.  :beerchug:

This afternoon i did a led headlight bulb upgrade for the 91 vfr 750. then took it out for a evening ride. Now i can see all the deer i was missing in the dark. evitek bulbs went in easy.

First ride ever on my GL650I Silverwing.  I bought this earlier in the spring for $400 sight unseen. PO started taking it apart resulting in some missing parts.  My most wonderful favorite nephew went and made the purchase for me in the South Bend, Indiana area from craigslist.  I pulled the carbs and cleaned them.  That's really about all I've done so far.  When running, it sounds like it's in need of a valve adjustment. The big issue is the starter clutch, so the engine will have to be pulled to fix that.  I've not ever heard one squeal and slip like this one.  Should nickname her Piggy because of that squeal.  It's a bit of a time getting it started with that slipping starter clutch, but I really wanted to see what it was like to go down the road on it.  I'm just happy to see that she will go down the road without being pushed, pulled or tied to a trailer!  I'm pretty dang happy with my $400 crap shoot. :beerchug: :beerchug: :great: :motonoises: :motonoises:

Adjusted the valves on the Silverwing.  That had to be the easiest valve adjust ever.  Cylinders sticking right out there at ya.  Bought a tool that makes it even easier to find top dead center from a guy named Murry.  Murry is the SISF of the CX/GL 500's and 650's.  Gotta love how easy this bike is to work on.  :beerchug:

Changing all three cases (crank, gearbox, primary) to appropriate Redline synthetic.

The Redline V-Twin Transmission Oil is the bomb for most V-twins that have seperate cases. It starts out with a base that is already full rated viscosity, whereas many synthetics have a base lower than rating, and put in additives to raise it to the rating. Basically it comes in exceeding rating.

The effect is most noticeable in how quiet the gearbox becomes, and the shift clunk snick clunk goes away.

I'll be doing this in the next day or two, just waiting on viton drain plug gaskets in case the one on the plug now can't be reused. Often they can, but if it doesn't look perfect I'll replace it.

I also plan to put Redline in the crankcase and primary case when I get out to California, before I go to the NW Regional.

I had new dancing shoes installed on my itty bitty six fiddy Versys this morning. Angel GTs. Rode about 60 kms from the dealer back to campsite. Me like. Gonna stroll about 400 tomorrow probably including some dirt. Yeehaw.

On TDY at Yoho National Park for two more nights. Then Kelowna BC.

I made a great find on EBay. I found a set of 1975 VM 28's that have spent the last 40 years sitting on a shelf. The PO took these carbs off his 1975 Z1 in 77 to put bigger carbs on. he stuck them on the shelf and this is where they stayed. I asked about the float legs and he said he didn't know because the bowls had never been off. OK crap shoot. I got the carbs and took the bowls off for cleaning. I think he was right because it appeared no screw driver had ever touched the pilot and main jets. The float pins moved freely. Every VM 28 I've seen the inside of to date some yo yo has taken and roughed up the float pins to keep them in place. They did not understand the bowl is designed to keep the float pins centered and not move. In the bottom of the bowls was a little dust looking stuff. On the 900 they go. I'm happy to report very small air valve screw adjustments will slightly change plug color or at least what plug color you can see with unleaded gas. A trip up Washington pass and back from a pure gas gas station got me 45 miles per gallon. Best thing is the 900 runs like a 900 should.

It was all fun and games until I took a bee just at the tee shirt neck line. One of the hazards of riding a nakid bike I guess. Tim

I rode my 84' Honda VF700S Sabre up to Cycle Barn to get some brake pads and order tires for the new to me 94' C-10.

Goldfingers said:
I made a great find on EBay. I found a set of 1975 VM 28's that have spent the last 40 years sitting on a shelf. The PO took these carbs off his 1975 Z1 in 77 to put bigger carbs on. he stuck them on the shelf and this is where they stayed. I asked about the float legs and he said he didn't know because the bowls had never been off. OK crap shoot. I got the carbs and took the bowls off for cleaning. I think he was right because it appeared no screw driver had ever touched the pilot and main jets. The float pins moved freely. Every VM 28 I've seen the inside of to date some yo yo has taken and roughed up the float pins to keep them in place. They did not understand the bowl is designed to keep the float pins centered and not move. In the bottom of the bowls was a little dust looking stuff. On the 900 they go. I'm happy to report very small air valve screw adjustments will slightly change plug color or at least what plug color you can see with unleaded gas. A trip up Washington pass and back from a pure gas gas station got me 45 miles per gallon. Best thing is the 900 runs like a 900 should.

It was all fun and games until I took a bee just at the tee shirt neck line. One of the hazards of riding a nakid bike I guess. Tim

Those came stock on my 78 Ltd.. if I knew you wanted some, I could have hooked ya up... what jets did you use, and did you modify and remove the extra air plenum for the airbox?

My Kz parts are.and have been wrapped and stored safely for years....
Interested in a set of those Vetter triangular rear bags? The ones that looked like something off Star Trek?...... I think I have those up in the loft also... brand new, never been mounted... hopefully when I moved that box made it here...

Took the front end off of the Silverwing.  Removed the brake rotors and cleaned the wheel.  Replaced the old brake rotors with some I picked up on ebay for $30 a pair shipped.  Removed the steering head bearing races from the steering head and will replace with tapered roller bearings.  Going to pull the engine this weekend and rebuild the starter clutch so Piggy will quit squealing when I start her up.

The SilverWing was my first "real" street bike. Paid $900 for a rather nice low mile Interstate version with all the original Honda faring/luggage. Always enjoyed the engine design/layout. With a desire for more power, especially two up, I bought the first C10 (and a second C10).
The current ST1300 brings me back around a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 119
jettawreck said:
The SilverWing was my first "real" street bike. Paid $900 for a rather nice low mile Interstate version with all the original Honda faring/luggage. Always enjoyed the engine design/layout. With a desire for more power, especially two up, I bought the first C10 (and a second C10).

Looks like a nice little wing you had Marc.  I've known a couple of guys that had Moto Guzzi's in the past.  The SilverWing is an improved Guzzi as far as I'm concerned.  I've just always thought the Honda was an interesting little bike.  This one showed up on craigslist, so I bought it.  If I could only have one bike, I probably wouldn't have bought it.  It just adds a little spice to the garage.

The engine is out and waiting to be opened.  I should have done more reading about starter clutch problems.  The 3 bolts that hold the clutch on are one time use bolts that I didn't order.  So going to order those and all the bolts and nuts that are missing on the rest of the bike and work on other things on the bike.  The starter is also something to be looked at while it's out.  Guys on the CX/GL forum have done a mod to improve the ground on the starter to get full rpm output.  Apparently a slower than normal starter can lead to starter clutch problems.

Bud said:
jettawreck said:

Looks like a nice little wing you had Marc.  I've known a couple of guys that had Moto Guzzi's in the past.  The SilverWing is an improved Guzzi as far as I'm concerned.  I've just always thought the Honda was an interesting little bike.  This one showed up on craigslist, so I bought it.  If I could only have one bike, I probably wouldn't have bought it.  It just adds a little spice to the garage.

The engine is out and waiting to be opened.  I should have done more reading about starter clutch problems.  The 3 bolts that hold the clutch on are one time use bolts that I didn't order.  So going to order those and all the bolts and nuts that are missing on the rest of the bike and work on other things on the bike.  The starter is also something to be looked at while it's out.  Guys on the CX/GL forum have done a mod to improve the ground on the starter to get full rpm output.  Apparently a slower than normal starter can lead to starter clutch problems.

Thanks, it really was in pretty nice shape. Bought it on a whim 175 miles from home. Left my car at the guys house, rode it home from the city with very expired plates/tabs, no maintainence history, and a bad rear tire. The look on my wife's face when I got home was a classic  :-\.  But, she did go along the next day to retrieve the car and is a willing passenger for up to a 100 miles at a stretch. We may tour our honeymoon route through Ontario for or before out 40th anniversary this October.
Never has any issues with mine despite its age, other than it was starting to very slightly weep of some coolant from the dreaded waterpump. Did some research on that and it wasn't the worst thing to source the pump from a Yamaha (if I recall correctly). Pointed that out to the new buyer and gave him some info I had printed out. He indicated that unless it got a lot worse it was easier to add coolant on occasion than tackle the repair. Since you have the engine out and it's a common issue, it might be worth doing a waterpump replacement now since it seems to be a "keeper".
A Moto Guzzi finds its way into my Craigslist "Favorites" list somewhat regularly, so perhaps some day one will share the shed with the ST1300. I tend to like the less than common stuff, I guess. A KLR or a 650 BMW is a more likely second ride and would be great with all the gravel back road forestry stuff up here.
The one or two year build of the Honda 650 V twin models always get my attention, also.
Good luck on that 500 refurbishment.

It's the 650 Interstate instead of the 500.  I'm not sure I would have bought it if it were a 500.  There was a time when I wouldn't have bought anything smaller than a 1000, but the 650's have always caught my eye and were a one year only model iirc.  I can possibly see another RD400 in my garage one day.  Such a fun lightweight bike. >:D

Lowered trailer weight so the horse doesn't have to work so hard.

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 128
MAN OF BLUES said:
Goldfingers said:

Those came stock on my 78 Ltd.. if I knew you wanted some, I could have hooked ya up... what jets did you use, and did you modify and remove the extra air plenum for the airbox?

My Kz parts are.and have been wrapped and stored safely for years....
Interested in a set of those Vetter triangular rear bags? The ones that looked like something off Star Trek?...... I think I have those up in the loft also... brand new, never been mounted... hopefully when I moved that box made it here...

Dan, the Vm28's I got were stock to the bike. I squirted some carb cleaner here and there and set two floats using the clear tube test. The stock jets I believe are 120's and the pilots are 17.5. After cleaning them and doing a little adjusting the bike runs pretty good. Not real happy with the idle but such is life, it will idle just a little higher rpm than I like still but unreasonable. Mileage seems to have stabilized at 45 MPG. 

Today a bug hit one of my damaged fingers while wearing full fingered glove and it hurt like..well lets just say it hurt A LOT.

I think what I'll do is use t around town and parades. I was thinking maybe riding it to the pending regional. But after eating bugs and taking a bee at the tee shirt neck line I think I'll run the C14. Even with the Short OEM wind shield I don't eat many bugs. When I was younger I didn't know no better but now I like the smooth C14. So I probably would not put paniers on it. But I'll store what you have in the back of my teeny head.    Tim 

The GL650 Interstate project continues.  Pulled the rear wheel and final drive.  Removed old tire.  Polished the rim and installed new tire.  Disassembled the rear drum brake, cleaned everything up and installed new brake shoes.  Polished and painted rear brake stopper arm.  Installed new dust seals on the front fork tubes.  Cleaned up the airbox.  Have the frame hanging so that I can clean and deal with rusty spots.

Disassembled the driver footpegs and buffed on wire wheel , followed by paint and clear coat.  Soaked the battery box in vinegar overnight.  Sprayed it with primer.  Removed horns before soaking the fairing mount and associated hardware in vinegar to remove rust.  Vinegar is cheap and works amazingly well if you have patience.  Cleaned and painted the rear shock.  Drain the old oil from the rear shock.  Sooner or later I'll run out of parts to clean/paint.  Thinking of masking unpainted parts of the alloy wheels and painting the black parts.  Any suggestions on wheel refinishing that are cheap will be considered.  I'm probably going to spend too much on this project as it is.

R&R 'd the carb on my klr 250. Found the pilot jet totally clogged. Ordered new jet. Also needed new float bowl screws. $2.85 at dealer- a mere 31 cents at Ace.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Bud said:
Disassembled the driver footpegs and buffed on wire wheel , followed by paint and clear coat.  Soaked the battery box in vinegar overnight.  Sprayed it with primer.  Removed horns before soaking the fairing mount and associated hardware in vinegar to remove rust.  Vinegar is cheap and works amazingly well if you have patience.  Cleaned and painted the rear shock.  Drain the old oil from the rear shock.  Sooner or later I'll run out of parts to clean/paint.  Thinking of masking unpainted parts of the alloy wheels and painting the black parts. Any suggestions on wheel refinishing that are cheap will be considered.  I'm probably going to spend too much on this project as it is.

Bud,

Look into "Plastidip" for coating your wheels. If you don't like it you can peel it off! Resists chips, is fairly durable... etc, etc.

Good luck!

I washed it today. We've been camping on the Pacific Ocean beach so I had to get the salt spray washed off.

On TDY at South Beach Campground south of Forks WA. Relocating to Oregon coast tomorrow.

Washed my horse.... err... trike.

Right in parking space for site, I pulled the derby cover, drained the primary case, and filled it with Redline V-Twin Primary gear oil. Torque wrenches are standard tool kit now.

Jerry_Layman_NE said:
Bud said:
Disassembled the driver footpegs and buffed on wire wheel , followed by paint and clear coat.  Soaked the battery box in vinegar overnight.  Sprayed it with primer.  Removed horns before soaking the fairing mount and associated hardware in vinegar to remove rust.  Vinegar is cheap and works amazingly well if you have patience.  Cleaned and painted the rear shock.  Drain the old oil from the rear shock.  Sooner or later I'll run out of parts to clean/paint.  Thinking of masking unpainted parts of the alloy wheels and painting the black parts. Any suggestions on wheel refinishing that are cheap will be considered.  I'm probably going to spend too much on this project as it is.

Bud,

Look into "Plastidip" for coating your wheels. If you don't like it you can peel it off! Resists chips, is fairly durable... etc, etc.

Good luck!

Jerry, thanks for the tip about plastidip!  That brought on thoughts of doing my Dodge Neon, but that's something for the future.  So many projects to think about! 

Have been still cleaning and painting various small parts on the Silverwing.  Have done the side stand, center stand,rear foot pegs, the rear suspension links, turn signal/saddlebag brackets, inner parts to the fairing bracket were nasty rusty.  Soaked until clean and then primed and painted.  Removed all the collars from the pivot points on the rear suspension then cleaned and coated in Honda's high dollar moly grease.  Did a bit of paint work on the frame.  Re-assembled the rear suspension and torqued all suspension bolts to spec.  I'm sure I'm missing some things, but progress is slowly being made.

installed and jetted a set of PJ34's to my rd project. (stock size was a vm28) this is on my hand built 4130 foale-style framed lightweight RD350.  since the carbs are a bit.. large...  >:D ... had to modify the engine casing to fit them.  freakin rips now, and actually has midrange! the pwk 32 powerjet carbs just weren't doing it.  (ported and full built motor now can actually breathe)

pj34s-rd-prelim2_zpsj62ejyrg.jpg

pj34s-rd-prelim4_zps2ydsdul4.jpg

pj34s-rd-prelim1_zpsxmj5k2v2.jpg

I just got done removing my west coast entomology collection on the itty bitty six fiddy. Fixing to start a new collection of the SE and midwest with maybe some Canadian specimens as well.

Working on the CSC RX3 small adv bike that is Carrie's.
The front wheel had a problem that turned out to be a flat spot after examining the rotor/wheel/tire. CSC under warranty sent a wheel and cured that.
The original battery (after much of the last 2.5 yrs sat idle) was replaced and lasted 30 mi with stop and go until last 1/2 mile had to push the bike home.  You then realize even a small bikes suddenly gets heavy. LOL
Battery failed load test. Internet battery (thru WallMart) sent replacement battery quickly.
Bike is running great again. Fun riding a 250cc. Rev, rev, rev...
Removing the top and side cases along with mounts to lighten the bike. Lowering a bit raising the forks and looking at reducing the shock preload as it is cranked up a lot  to lower the rear. CSC sells a lowering link if needed.

Got her a 14' v-nose trailer to ride in like a proper Queen.

Attachments

• IMG_2757.JPG
    IMG_2757.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 109
not mine but in my garage and helping with this quite a bit. so, 'sponsoring' ... added a turbo to 77 xs400  the most unremarkable bike, ever, just got real interesting. all the piping is from old damaged rd350 headpipes and the exit pipe is the headpipe from a 73 kawasaki S2 triple. (i have some scratch and dent spares laying around).  carb is from a polaris snowmobile, its a vm38. turbo is a 'small engine' unit , new, cost was 200 bucks. oil cooler is a spare smaller on i pulled off the grom, have a 5 row on it now.  only thing we need to do is actually get the oil lines made (braided stainless) and plumb them.

we just got it fired last night. need to add the o2 sensor for tuning with the wb sensor.  (that will be all me on that one). goal is the DGR in a few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG-20170910-00484.jpg
    IMG-20170910-00484.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG-20170909-00483.jpg
    IMG-20170909-00483.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG-20170910-00489.jpg
    IMG-20170910-00489.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG-20170908-00475.jpg
    IMG-20170908-00475.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 118
m in sc said:
not mine but in my garage and helping with this quite a bit. so, 'sponsoring' ... added a turbo to 77 xs400  the most unremarkable bike, ever, just got real interesting. all the piping is from old damaged rd350 headpipes and the exit pipe is the headpipe from a 73 kawasaki S2 triple. (i have some scratch and dent spares laying around).  carb is from a polaris snowmobile, its a vm38. turbo is a 'small engine' unit , new, cost was 200 bucks. oil cooler is a spare smaller on i pulled off the grom, have a 5 row on it now.  only thing we need to do is actually get the oil lines made (braided stainless) and plumb them.

we just got it fired last night. need to add the o2 sensor for tuning with the wb sensor.  (that will be all me on that one). goal is the DGR in a few weeks.

Way cool.

Replaced the petcock on my 82 GS1100GK :motonoises: :motonoises: with a new OEM, changed the oil and took her for a ride.

Sort of spur of the moment to make it work with some (re)scheduled surgery for my dad and other plans besides a careful check of the weather reports. I installed the RDL seats, rear top box and Bagster tank bag. Loaded up the luggage and me and the wife headed out on our first overnight longer distance ride on the ST1300.
After waiting out a morning rain shower we headed out for the north up to the little town of Bigfork, then east toward the Boundry Waters Wilderness Area access town of Ely, MN. About 10 miles east of Ely we had almost an hour delay from some road "construction". Since it's a lot of Canadian Shield rock, they drill and blast. Apparently the blast went better than expected as we had to wait for bigger equipment to arrive to clear the debris from the road. State Highway #1 is a very curve/turn infested old road. The recent heavy rain and seasonal dropping of the pine tree needles made for a lot of extra attention to corners. Wet pine needles are incredibly slippery and a lot of the road is like a tunnel thru the forest. Many corners are 90* and posted at 10 mph with a large portion of the road posted at 50 mph. A good share of it is due for repaying after many years of freeze/thaw taking its toll.
We made the west shore of Lake Superior well before evening and headed north up the shore to find a room. Most places had "No Vacancy" signs out, but pulled out all the stops since it is/was our 40th anniversary, and checked into Bluefin Bay resort. A bit spendy for my usual "frugal" (cheap, as most refer to it) ways, but the views and accommodations were worth it. Complimentary bottle of champagne for the anniversary couple didn't hurt, I guess.. Lake Superior almost calm at sunrise from the bed is a pretty nice view.
Next morning load up and north up the shore to Grand Marias for some late morning breakfast and too soon time dictates it's time to turn around in order to make it home thru local deer infested rural country before dusk. The San Francisco type hills in Duluth made for some challenging red light uphill starts but all went well with (hopefully) minimal clutch abuse. Some supper at Savanna Portage in Floodwood and then on to home. The Honda performed flawlessly and averaged 50 mpg.

Learned a few things. I guess I already knew them but had them impressed upon me clearly. The ST (like the Concours before her) is a top heavy beast when loaded up and full of fuel. Having never been close to a tip over before I was humbled by two on this trip. One on each side. Both while stopped, one at the gas station coming down off the center stand the other while parking at a way side rest. The factory tip over bars worked perfect and prevented any damage to side luggage or footpeg brackets. A couple scuffs on the covers. The tip over at the gas station was almost disastrous. It went over on the right side toward the pump. How the top box didn't hit the pump, I'm not sure but the image that sticks in my mind is the big crash barrier pipe at the end of the pump island went between the tank and windshield/faring. Didn't touch a thing it appeared, but later inspection revealed a bit of red paint on the throttle cable housing and front brake master cylinder. Wow!! Once it's over center a bit a guy my size isn't going to keep it from going over. The Bagster tank bag limits the turning ability a lot in parking and other low speed turning. RDL seat needs some (re)work for both riders, maybe some beads. Other lessons(s) learned were mostly clothing, gear, equipment related and easy to correct.
Sorry to ramble but had a good shake down run and the passenger was a real trooper with no complaints other than a bit of sore butt.

Attachments

• IMG_20170921_102555646_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170921_102555646_HDR.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 116
Pulled the rear cover off of the GL650 so that I could see what's up with the starter clutch.  Hoping I don't have to replace the starter gear due to starter clutch slippage.

My 91 VFR750 took me to the RTE at Tellico Plains tn today. It was a little over 300 miles round trip and she never missed a beat.

I dropped my itty bitty six fiddy Versys off at the local dealer yesterday to check out the now getting nastier front end vibration when braking. Just got the call that MawKaw is covering it on the extended warranty. One new rotor, coming right up. Yeehaw. It'll be back in business by early the following week, in time for the RTB at Tom Sills house in Rome GA.

I was hoping/hope that I don't have to run up there on the KLR.

I didn't ask but wonder if new pads are part of the deal as it is a recommended practice.

mr t said:
Steve J -One would think so!  See you in Dec.

Tom Taylor COG#7173
That would be cool as the old pads were getting due.

Looking forward to it. I guess I should get some sort of RTE together. When in December will you be available?

There is a ride to Brew coming up 14 Oct in Rome, GA at Tom Sills house iff'n yer interested. Tom is going to get a batch going to show us how it's done. Way cool.

PM me iff'n yer interested.

I just ordered up two pair of new shoes for the itty bitty six fiddy Versys. Bridgestone has a rebate of $35/tire with a limit of four tires on BT-023 tires. Jake Wilson price is $201 for a pair minus the rebate works out to $131 per set. Yeah, I was all over that.

Never forget what the area K rep said about the warped rotors on my 98 C10.
Don't use the front brakes so much////  LOL!
Yes covered under warranty.

SteveJ. said:
I dropped my itty bitty six fiddy Versys off at the local dealer yesterday to check out the now getting nastier front end vibration when braking. Just got the call that MawKaw is covering it on the extended warranty. One new rotor, coming right up. Yeehaw. It'll be back in business by early the following week, in time for the RTB at Tom Sills house in Rome GA.

I was hoping/hope that I don't have to run up there on the KLR.

I didn't ask but wonder if new pads are part of the deal as it is a recommended practice.

Put my IMS 3 gal big tank back on my Yamaha WR250F for a dual sport ride up in Arkansas end of Oct.

Major pain in the butt job due to the fuel pump and level sensor and the fact Yamaha put the tank under the seat which makes the job ten times harder than a normal tank swap.

I'm tardy as the following was done a couple of days ago.

'98 KLR got it's oil and filter changed and got to swallow all new coolant along with getting a dose of Water Wetter. I also reset the Eagle Mike Doohickey.

Ready for another adventure

In the past few days, I replaced the springs, caps and rollers in the starter clutch of the 1983 GL650 Silverwing.  I reinstalled the rotor/starter clutch back on the crankshaft.  Replaced the cam seal, mechanical water pump seal and shift shaft seal in the rear cover.  Installed new rear cover gasket and rear cover on the engine.  Checked for proper operation of the shifting mechanism after reassembly.  This project isn't exactly speeding along, but I'm making progress.  It won't be too long and I"ll be putting the engine back in the frame.