• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What have your done to your C14 today

Welded up a couple of adapters to mount GL1800 rider footpads onto my C14. The result sets my feet about a half inch wider (as well as 1" lower) in addition to adding to the size of the foot rest. This is the same mod I did to my C10 years ago. I find that the contact point for my foot to shifter is slightly different and will likely take getting used to. Not uncomfortable or hard to reach really, just different.
Anyone else done this to their C14?

I put seafoam in mines yesterday. Unfortunately I let her sit for over two months with ethanol gas. Lesson learned. She hesitates now while accelerating. Anyone suggest anything else to look at?

Welded up a couple of adapters to mount GL1800 rider footpads onto my C14. The result sets my feet about a half inch wider (as well as 1" lower) in addition to adding to the size of the foot rest. This is the same mod I did to my C10 years ago. I find that the contact point for my foot to shifter is slightly different and will likely take getting used to. Not uncomfortable or hard to reach really, just different.
Anyone else done this to their C14?
Hmm I had planned to add them to.my c10 years ago but.....I might have to see about doing that to my c14, as I still have the footpegs.

Removed all the mystery gunk from the Idaho chip-seal/road oil/mystery glue, rebuilt my calipers from the damage cause by the aforementioned Idaho mystery substance, installed new front and rear EBC rotors from Murphs Kits, installed Denali Lights and mounts (thanks ghostrider990!), pulled the rear shock out for a rebuild (65K on it).

Next up is a valve inspection, removing old non used farkel wiring and wiring up the new Denali lights!

Installed the new windshield bracket that came in the mail yesterday. Very solid!
Good to hear Bud. The Usps has been working well. Out of approximately 40 pieces shipped only one was seemingly lost for a couple weeks but eventually found its way. And then last week I shipped one to Phoenix with an insufficient address. It went to Phoenix and back to me in 5 days. Impressive!

Removed all the mystery gunk from the Idaho chip-seal/road oil/mystery glue, rebuilt my calipers from the damage cause by the aforementioned Idaho mystery substance, installed new front and rear EBC rotors from Murphs Kits, installed Denali Lights and mounts (thanks ghostrider990!), pulled the rear shock out for a rebuild (65K on it).

Next up is a valve inspection, removing old non used farkel wiring and wiring up the new Denali lights!
I am still pulling rock and tar out of my bike. It was everywhere .

Rode around south central Ct for about an hr to burn out the condensation as its been sitting since mid Oct. Put her away in the shed to make room in the garage for the snow blower and hopefully my car if and when we get hammered with that white stuff. It felt good to be out despite chilly temps.

Along with the obligatory valve checks at 64K, new air filter, redoing some wiring for things I installed way back to clean up the appearance, brake pads front and back, and finally the fuel pump filter.

Along with the obligatory valve checks at 64K, new air filter, redoing some wiring for things I installed way back to clean up the appearance, brake pads front and back, and finally the fuel pump filter.
@gilbysan What were your valve clearance measurements compared to spec and was this the machine’s first valve check @ 64K!?

Mine along with others I’ve done averaging around 30K miles for the first valve check see most valves are on the tight side and usually a few below minimum spec. Mine were very tight with 15 of 16 valves below minimum specification.

I will be performing Blue’s second valve check in Feb, ~ 58K miles. Not expecting them too far out however given we enjoy the higher RPM’s very often it seems more than prudent to be at top condition, also want a quick peek at the timing chain for stretch.

With fun comes maintenance and we do have plenty of fun. The full AreaP exhaust releases the engine top end and the Quickshifter turns this machine that could to the machine that does! Sure has been a rock solid and fun machine to own and tweak!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

2 and Blue, The first valve check was similar to this one, all were within spec, none were too tight or too loose based on the gauges with the lobes off the tappets at about 90 degrees off. I guess the Goldilocks zone would be the best description. I did not write down all the clearances, favoring to check each one to make sure that a gauge at max would fit properly and when the clearance was less than max that a minimum gauge would fit as well. This gave me the sense that things were in the zone. Sounds primitive but it seems to work just fine at least for the past 64K...

Cheers!

Gilbysan, aka - Fat Ninja

Finally....started cleaning it. Also needed to relocate the Penske reservoir to free up the footrest bracket so testing of a 3D printed dual exhaust bracket could continue with Connie Rider and ONPman. Grabbed some scrap AL-You-Mineeum and bolted the protusion on the spot where the stock rez used to occupy. Reused the rubber dampers and worm gear clamps (not for hosers, eh?) and am pleased with the results. 3 buckets of black water later and I am about 1/3rd of the way done cleaning. Those last 3 weeks of wet and hard riding in October/November got everywhere!

Attachments

• 20230204_092634.jpg
    20230204_092634.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20230204_093228.jpg
    20230204_093228.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 95
A little jealous. Borrowed a friends in 74. Wheelied and dumped my date 🙂
They moved the engine forward in the frame trying to keep the front wheel on the ground. My RD400 would start to lift the front wheel about the time I got across the street at an intersection. They tried.

Finally....started cleaning it. Also needed to relocate the Penske reservoir to free up the footrest bracket so testing of a 3D printed dual exhaust bracket could continue with Connie Rider and ONPman. Grabbed some scrap AL-You-Mineeum and bolted the protusion on the spot where the stock rez used to occupy. Reused the rubber dampers and worm gear clamps (not for hosers, eh?) and am pleased with the results. 3 buckets of black water later and I am about 1/3rd of the way done cleaning. Those last 3 weeks of wet and hard riding in October/November got everywhere!
Good job on saving the weight with the holez in that AL-You-Mineeum!!

The new flash is GREAT looking forward to Jennings GP track day Saturday, I have all new green water hoses, not sure I like them with the silver bike but I'm not going to worry about it:unsure:

I unplugged the tender and fired her up for the first time since early November. I made a run into town to buy some shoes and quickly remembered how cold my legs get at 65 mph and just jeans when it's 34 degrees outside! She's safely asleep in the garage again, but spring is getting closer!

Rode 2up with my gal this weekend for the first time on the new to me 2010. She loved it but now I have a passenger lowering kit on it's way. She was fine on the C10, but wanted to stretch her legs a bit more on the 14.

Winter storm mid-week here so my ECU is packaged up and will be hittin' the road to Florida for a MRP flash. Godspeed 'lil black box'!!

Pulled what I believe the original battery and abrasively cleaned up all the connections. Someone correct me if this isn't the OEM battery. It's always on a tender. I've not had a battery last this long ever!

Attachments

• IMG_20230214_080753_322.jpg
    IMG_20230214_080753_322.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 61
Finally got the Big Blue Wailer clean-ish, all serviced and ready to go for the season! Well, battery needs installed, but hopefully only another week and 5 am temps will be up to freezing! The Silver Bullet Zed-Ex Ten is also all ready to rock.

Attachments

• 20230215_060847.jpg
    20230215_060847.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 20230215_060945.jpg
    20230215_060945.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 83
Finally got the Big Blue Wailer clean-ish, all serviced and ready to go for the season! Well, battery needs installed, but hopefully only another week and 5 am temps will be up to freezing! The Silver Bullet Zed-Ex Ten is also all ready to rock.
That Connie a '10?

Yesterday actually, i put a shite ton of mice sticky traps around the bike at the tires and kick stand in my shed. Those and a ton of moth balls better keep them away. I'm in a new to me house so idk what the shed mice situation is. I had a few i caught in the garage already. Little bastids!

Yesterday actually, i put a shite ton of mice sticky traps around the bike at the tires and kick stand in my shed. Those and a ton of moth balls better keep them away. I'm in a new to me house so idk what the shed mice situation is. I had a few i caught in the garage already. Little bastids!
I used 4 pickle buckets with 2” of antifreeze, a pop bottle rotating on a threaded rod at the top, smeared peanut butter in the middle of the pop bottle, and added a 1x2 ramp to the butt end of the bottle. They are in the 4 corners of my son’s yard barn where my C14 is stored for the winter. I have had to dump a few mouse carcasses… but no evidence of critters anywhere near my bike. It was a great suggestion from another GOGer.

I have used the bucket traps for years. Recently I tried these and they out perform the bucket traps by a great deal iMO. I think they work better because mice run aling walls. I dont use the stickys snd smear peanut butter on the inside lid. We have acres of tall grass around so I need to really keep on top of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230216-195625.png
    Screenshot_20230216-195625.png
    435.5 KB · Views: 88
Bud,
Hyperpro manufactures suspension components and steering dampers. Their of shocks range from simple to multi adjustable. They also offer suspension kits for many bikes. These kits include a shock, fork springs, fork oil, etc.
I've had a Hyperpro on my Z900RS for over a year and am pleased with it. It came perfectly set up for me and works well.

I would recomend them to anyone looking for a suspension upgrade.

Reactions: Bud
We had a sunny 60 degree day here Sunday and I decided to install the Delkavic slip on. No instructions but it is so simple a fireman could do it..... Looks and sounds great, I knew the stock unit was heavy but my God, what a monster. Can't wait to get it out and wind it up.

We had a sunny 60 degree day here Sunday and I decided to install the Delkavic slip on. No instructions but it is so simple a fireman could do it..... Looks and sounds great, I knew the stock unit was heavy but my God, what a monster. Can't wait to get it out and wind it up.
I love my Delkavic! Great sound and looks awesome.

Installed the FLASHED ecu today. Replaced the air filter. Wired the controls for the sergeant seat heater. Sat on the bike (on the lift) and made a few engine noises. The snow will soon melt in Manitoba. The snow will soon melt in Manitoba. The snow will soon melt in Manitoba. And all will be right with the world, RIGHT?

Installed the FLASHED ecu today. Replaced the air filter. Wired the controls for the sergeant seat heater. Sat on the bike (on the lift) and made a few engine noises. The snow will soon melt in Manitoba. The snow will soon melt in Manitoba. The snow will soon melt in Manitoba. And all will be right with the world, RIGHT?
Watched snow will never melt…

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Took my seat to my local upholstery guru friend and ex coworker who made a custom seat for my ZX-10. That seat is awesome! So he is going to replicate the same style for the front section on the C-14, redo my backrest bumpstop and fix the hinge covering on my 60's era Mag Tape Drive case turned tail trunk. Set to go into seat surgery on 5/12...will update then.

Went for the first ride of the season, it's been over 150 days since I last rode it, 5 months. As always, a short ride for the first ride, 20 miles, muffler sounds great. Because I use the peg lowers, the rear brake lever rubs a tad on the Delkavic pipe, nothing major, it works fine, no stick.

Refreshing my memory on all the buttons and features. Went over the various nuts and bolts, nothing missing or loose, gave it all a quick once over for leaks and weeps, nothing.

Looking to update with a flash, I got the shifting smoothed out but still don't like the "herky-jerky" throttle sensitivity of just normal riding on an uneven road, which is essentially every road here. I don't want to have to constantly think about throttle issues when riding around.

I'm so glad I was able to buy this machine, it was a true test of my patience and intestinal fortitude over the course of months to get one into my garage. I'm glad I waited, as I was seriously looking at other bikes with actual money in my hands at the various dealers, and, put a deposit on another bike. Call it fate, call it luck, call it history repeating itself, as, luck played into my getting my 2001 back in 2002.

Last edited:
Went for the first ride of the season, it's been over 150 days since I last rode it, 5 months. As always, a short ride for the first ride, 20 miles, muffler sounds great. Because I use the peg lowers, the rear brake lever rubs a tad on the Delkavic pipe, nothing major, it works fine, no stick.

Refreshing my memory on all the buttons and features. Went over the various nuts and bolts, nothing missing or loose, gave it all a quick once over for leaks and weeps, nothing.

Looking to update with a flash, I got the shifting smoothed out but still don't like the "herky-jerky" throttle sensitivity of just normal riding on an uneven road, which is essentially every road here. I don't want to have to constantly think about throttle issues when riding around.

I'm so glad I was able to buy this machine, it was a true test of my patience and intestinal fortitude over the course of months to get one into my garage. I'm glad I waited, as I was seriously looking at other bikes with actual money in my hands at the various dealers, and, put a deposit on another bike. Call it fate, call it luck, call it history repeating itself, as, luck played into my getting my 2001 back in 2002.
You will LOVE it more after a flash...

Giving her the ol' B-check. Headlamp replacement, turn signal bulb replacement, air filter cleaning, coolant flush, oil change, gear oil change, and about to drain/remove the tank and replace the fuel strainer. And a good wash because the pollen here is just...ugh!

Attachments

• 339168212_497808692410319_8454609512204802908_n.jpg
    339168212_497808692410319_8454609512204802908_n.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 339304085_780534573426642_6056314148456976327_n.jpg
    339304085_780534573426642_6056314148456976327_n.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 81
I hauled it up to Fred Harmon for it's 4th & final valve adj. plus some additional things. Valve adj., plugs, cam chain, tensioner, guides, TB sync & coolant hoses just for good measure. I will post the results good or bad for those that may be interested.

If this gets it on past the 300K & beyond mark it'll be worth it, currently at 264K.

Now I just gotta get out & ride more as my riding was way down last year, when I did it was on my other bikes.

Big couple of days for me and the Concours 1400. I have installed MC Cruise and am down to the final testing phase. All is working good so far. You can see the brain inside the left fairing, the servo on the right and the control above the clutch attachment.

Attachments

• IMG-3042.jpg
    IMG-3042.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-3044.jpg
    IMG-3044.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG-3043.jpg
    IMG-3043.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 78
Big couple of days for me and the Concours 1400. I have installed MC Cruise and am down to the final testing phase. All is working good so far. You can see the brain inside the left fairing, the servo on the right and the control above the clutch attachment.
I did this install along with my first valve adjustment about two years ago. It was a lot of steps, but surprisingly straightforward. My first test ride showed a problem when the cruise was initially set - it would engage harshly with a bit of a surge before settling in. I went back and followed the adjustment procedure for the servo cable slack and it has been flawless over the last 18K miles.

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Enjoy.

I did this install along with my first valve adjustment about two years ago. It was a lot of steps, but surprisingly straightforward. My first test ride showed a problem when the cruise was initially set - it would engage harshly with a bit of a surge before settling in. I went back and followed the adjustment procedure for the servo cable slack and it has been flawless over the last 18K miles.

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Enjoy.
Thank you very much for that input Keith. I agree MC Cruise does a good job with these kits. I put one on my Honda F6B last year and it has been great. I just kept thinking how good it would be on the C 14. I finally pulled the trigger.

I hauled it up to Fred Harmon for it's 4th & final valve adj. plus some additional things. Valve adj., plugs, cam chain, tensioner, guides, TB sync & coolant hoses just for good measure. I will post the results good or bad for those that may be interested.

Now for the results of this service, this was done at 264,000 & it has been 70,000 since last adjustment. Previous valve adjustments were done at 63,000, 121,000 & 194,000 so 4 adjustments total. Valves were all within spec except #4 exhaust & it was at .004, so pretty tight. The plugs were pretty average looking, not new but not bad either though gap was a little wide. The cam chain had no measurable stretch which seems a bit amazing to me considering it was the original. Throttle bodies had never been synched before & they were barely off.

Overall, no visible signs of engine wear or anything abnormal found.

Now to ride & see how long it go!

Impressed with the cam chain. I've changed mine twice in 150k. 1st time was stretched considerably. 2nd change was done just because I had a new one sitting there. I've never done a throttle body sync. But may do it next time.

Hopefully you can get 300k plus. Maybe just ride it forever. Mine will be 15 yo in July. It's held up better than me.

Now for the results of this service, this was done at 264,000 & it has been 70,000 since last adjustment. Previous valve adjustments were done at 63,000, 121,000 & 194,000 so 4 adjustments total. Valves were all within spec except #4 exhaust & it was at .004, so pretty tight. The plugs were pretty average looking, not new but not bad either though gap was a little wide. The cam chain had no measurable stretch which seems a bit amazing to me considering it was the original. Throttle bodies had never been synched before & they were barely off.

Overall, no visible signs of engine wear or anything abnormal found.

Now to ride & see how long it go!
Really good info to know Cliff. Thanks for sharing.

Cam chain photos from Cliff's bike. Can you tell which one is the old one and which is brand new?

IMG_5279.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that input Keith. I agree MC Cruise does a good job with these kits. I put one on my Honda F6B last year and it has been great. I just kept thinking how good it would be on the C 14. I finally pulled the trigger.
I wrapped it up and got a test ride in today. All seems good. I have cruise now on the C14!

Ride to the Tide last Sunday in Delaware (Smyrna to Lewes) supporting Special Olympics.
New Bright2Wheels LED taillight and ST2 Systems brake modulator.

I've had a couple updates, but all the work is done now and it's all buttoned up. New rotors front and rear, rebuilt calipers front and rear, rebuilt brake and clutch master cylinders, valve inspection, rekeyed saddles bags so 1 key works for all locks, replaced steering bearings, replaced wheel bearings, replaced all hydraulic fluids, painted saddle bag lids with a type of rhino lining as well as the plastic part on top of the tank, and rebuilt front and rear suspension. Now to bed in the brakes.

I've had a couple updates, but all the work is done now and it's all buttoned up. New rotors front and rear, rebuilt calipers front and rear, rebuilt brake and clutch master cylinders, valve inspection, rekeyed saddles bags so 1 key works for all locks, replaced steering bearings, replaced wheel bearings, replaced all hydraulic fluids, painted saddle bag lids with a type of rhino lining as well as the plastic part on top of the tank, and rebuilt front and rear suspension. Now to bed in the brakes.
Dan was replacement of the steering bearings preemptive or was there something damaged / worn? Also what year and miles?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Dan was replacement of the steering bearings preemptive or was there something damaged / worn? Also what year and miles?

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I have a 2012 with 103K miles on it. This maintenance season, while rotating the steering there was a distinct notch felt during rotation.

I put in a NOCO lithium battery. I've been buying a few batteries for other people's bikes and while at the battery shop buying cheap lead batteries, they highly recommended NOCO. I didn't think much about it until my battery bit the dust first time out this year, Yuasa lasted 2 years on a trickle charge 1 week per month in winter. Then I noticed the Nascar race that week was sponsored by NOCO, so I looked them up. It's an Ohio company founded in 1913. NOCO is short for No Corrosion, a real problem back then. But still located in Oh and batteries assembled in Oh. Bought it from Summit racing, also an Ohio company. Had it in 2 days, free shipping and easy order website. They sell much more than race car stuff. Very high-quality unit with top and side mount posts that are threaded instead of those free float nuts. Now we'll see how it lasts. $129.

Attachments

• NoCo.jpg
    NoCo.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 62
I bought some maintenance items. One item was the OEM Kawasaki oil filter for $8.79 ea. From Partshark.com out of Indianapolis.

Attachments

• Oil filter etc.jpg
    Oil filter etc.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 55
I am in the middle of my valve check/adjustment at the 15,400 mile mark on my 09. The comments I have seen about no need to check valves until 30K or 60K did not apply to my case. There were 13 of 16 valves tight with some as much as 0.002 less than low spec. So glad I made the adjustments and now ready to put the cams back in and button her up. Using Murphs kit and doing plugs while apart. All the coolant hoses are being replaced with new. They feel a bit hard from age. Also putting on a Black Widow header for fun and giggles.

It is a lot of work, but looking forward to a smooth riding season. It is rainy and in the 40s here for 4-5 days. A great way to pass time.😀IMG_0921.jpeg

I am in the middle of my valve check/adjustment at the 15,400 mile mark on my 09. The comments I have seen about no need to check valves until 30K or 60K did not apply to my case. There were 13 of 16 valves tight with some as much as 0.002 less than low spec. So glad I made the adjustments and now ready to put the cams back in and button her up. Using Murphs kit and doing plugs while apart. All the coolant hoses are being replaced with new. They feel a bit hard from age. Also putting on a Black Widow header for fun and giggles.

It is a lot of work, but looking forward to a smooth riding season. It is rainy and in the 40s here for 4-5 days. A great way to pass time.😀View attachment 35628
Make certain to replace the 12 oil pipe o-rings; this is very often overlooked and one day will bite someone - don’t let it be you!

FSM is very clear, replace (not inspect and replace if damaged)…

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Make certain to replace the 12 oil pipe o-rings; this is very often overlooked and one day will bite someone - don’t let it be you!

FSM is very clear, replace (not inspect and replace if damaged)…

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Thanks for the tip. I believe the O rings are part of the kit.

They are not part of Murphs Kit - FYI.

See Kawasaki PN: 670D1509.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I just wrote a note back to Murphs about the need to have a dozen 2x9mm oil and temp resistant O rings as an option in the kit. The OEM part is insane at $4.37 for each O ring. Granger has a pack of 25 made with Vitrol material for less than $10 delivered.

So excited! I de-seated/de-trunked her today to get my local custom upholstery/builder to start on the mods. He made me a custom seat for my 2005 ZX-10 a few years back that I just love! Denser/taller foam, PRC (prostate relief channel), cool CF looking cover that provides just the right ass-traction coefficient for not sliding the family jewels into the tank but allowing sideways dipping for extreme lean angles.

He is going to mimic that design for the front section, keep the back stock as I have no pillions of any distance. For my DIY trunk he is going to line it as well as make a matching pad for the rider backrest. Was hoping to have it done for a track day on 5/20 but I had to cancel that for the great-grand kids coming from Cali. Hope to show it off at the national.

Attachments

• 20230331_092141.jpg
    20230331_092141.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230331_092145.jpg
    20230331_092145.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230512_151032.jpg
    20230512_151032.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 02_18_23 RIDE.jpg
    02_18_23 RIDE.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 73
I wuz hopin' u'd ask. :unsure:
I'm confused becuz, (see below)

xxxxxx

xxxxxxx (Yer gettin' there)

xxxxxx

xxxxx (Keep a goin')

xxxxx

xxxxx (almost there)

xxxx

xxxx

I see that itty bitty seat and immediately thought whuttt??
Ya see, Most of us would need a bigger err channel. :ROFLMAO:

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited: