• WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE ABLE TO POST AND ACCESS MEMBER ONLY CONTENT AND FEATURES
    Join / Upgrade / Renew your membership to enjoy full membership and posting privileges.
    For simple instructions, click here
  • Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What have your done to your C14 today

Road Runner

SE USA - AAD
Presently in Mountain Home, AR. ~400 miles from home area (in N. AL). Fred Harmon has my bike and is performing the valve check/adjustment, throttle bottle sync., and a few other odds and ends. Should have my much-improved bike back Monday afternoon. Looking forward to it!

joliver

I did hibernation prep: wash & wax, changed the oil and filter, filled her with fuel, and added stabilizer. Tomorrow I will help my friend move his toys so the bike can fit in his workshop. The winter season will soon be upon us - well at least for the people in Northern Canada.

shoupeja

Installed a set of Denali (Twisted Throttle) T3 Switchback light pods on their license plate brackets. The lights work as advertised and are very bright.

Attachments

• Steady.jpg
    Steady.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Running.jpg
    Running.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Turn.jpg
    Turn.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Brake.jpg
    Brake.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 111

zrxmax

Pistons, Cams, and Valves!
Changing out the Mondo Moto driving lights that mount to the front forks. One of them burned out. No replacement LED part is available for the Mondo Motos that I could find. I like the new light better anyway... they look to be a bit better and brighter than the MMs.
The are called DK Stealth Driving lights and cost about $72 for the pair. I will report back when they are installed and I have test drove them.
They might go under a different name on eBay... they are a single light in a black housing with cooling fins and about 3" in diameter.

freebird6

Changing out the Mondo Moto driving lights that mount to the front forks. One of them burned out. No replacement LED part is available for the Mondo Motos that I could find. I like the new light better anyway... they look to be a bit better and brighter than the MMs.
The are called DK Stealth Driving lights and cost about $72 for the pair. I will report back when they are installed and I have test drove them.
They might go under a different name on eBay... they are a single light in a black housing with cooling fins and about 3" in diameter.
Not sure if I have the correct ones but I am planning on putting lights on the forks down low and like the looks of these as well as the beam. The price makes me think I may have the wrong one.

zrxmax

Pistons, Cams, and Valves!
I got the DK lights installed, plugged in, and what I thought was ready to go. I tested them with 12 volt power first and they seemed fine. Wires must be crossed ( that doesn't make any sense ) or something upstream from the power source is off. Strange... they always came on once my 2010 model was running.

ZXtasy

Took off my summer shorty screen today and put the stock one on minus the MadStad brackets. The mid 20 degree morning rides to work require more wind protection, but thought I would revisit the stock position. Yep, it is still noisy, and makes back pressure on the 2013. Got in my first November ride though!

Attachments

• 11_01_2020 ride.jpg
    11_01_2020 ride.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 95

Bagger John

Kicked my lady friend off the back of my '12.

(We have three other motorcycle including an '08ABS to ride, so it's not like she's getting left at the house. 🤣)

What started this was a forum thread titled "Police Version Pictures". In it I made a comment about wanting an LE trunk to house some ham radio gear. A member mentioned ongoing eBay auctions...which yielded a radio box, a heated Corbin driver seat, set of rear crash guards and a bunch of other stuff (including lighting) needed to make the project work. Still chasing down odds and ends for controlling the three radios I'm going to mount - one of which is already aboard the bike. I'll begin the conversion process when I have that one down for its 15K valve adjustment in the spring. Need to get a set of front engine guards and some sort of non-metallic trunk rack to carry a rain cover, as I'm losing 1/3 of the bike's storage space by swapping everything out.

Also playing phone tag with Steve about flashing both ECUs. Helibars and suspension upgrades for both Connies are on the road map too.

Conrad

It was such a beautiful day yesterday. 76 degrees and sunny with a mild breeze. A perfect day for a long ride.

The nicest day in about four years.

nickrides

Detailed My 2014 C-14, I think bug season is over! Looks nice!
Carefully washed the whole bike and wiped it down with lemon Pledge, smells great.
Have to mount a new front tire this week, a Michelin Pilot Power.
Should get a couple more long rides in this month. In spite of living at 9,740' In Telluride Co we manage to ride year round out of here.
Nick

amarider

prjektd Air Wings
They work very well and take all the air off my hands. Fit is perfect with my V Stream Shield.
Highly recommend
19E5A2E7-A78D-4B4F-AF0F-0FD3EB06656D.jpeg

Nice17connie

Well I have a 2017 Kawasaki Concours 14 has 18,000 mi on it. I bought it last year brand new with no miles .. I have put LED headlights on the front plus I had my ECU flashed put an Area P No limits, exhaust on.. added a Kawasaki backrest and passenger lowered foot pegs for more comfort for my passenger. And I have a Garmin XT GPS system on it but it's not permanent. I love this machine she's a real wolf in sheep's clothing. Lol

horsenuts123

Well I have a 2017 Kawasaki Concours 14 has 18,000 mi on it. I bought it last year brand new with no miles .. I have put LED headlights on the front plus I had my ECU flashed put an Area P No limits, exhaust on.. added a Kawasaki backrest and passenger lowered foot pegs for more comfort for my passenger. And I have a Garmin XT GPS system on it but it's not permanent. I love this machine she's a real wolf in sheep's clothing. Lol
Did you notice much loss of midrange power after the exhaust / flash? I keep thinking about it, but then hearing it loses a bunch of midrange.

bmidd

I've smelled coolant on occasion and have never had any on the garage floor. I removed the fairings this evening and started looking for a leak. I was about to give up, until I lay on my back and found dried antifreeze where this hose attaches. The hose clamp was a little more than finger tight, not much though. The PO stated that the coolant was flushed when the valves were serviced. The coolant does look new and perhaps the clamp was forgotten? Who knows, but now it doesn't seep. I also installed the wedges I purchased from the classifieds here, I like the angle better thanthe stock angle.
I received my resprung and revalved shock Friday evening and will be installing sometime soon. The original had 33k on it and it's under sprung and under damped. I was having to add too much preload to combat the wallowing and there wasn't enough rebound control with any amount of preload added. I look forward to getting this installed.

Attachments

• Leak hose clamp.jpg
    Leak hose clamp.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 124

kzz1king

I've smelled coolant on occasion and have never had any on the garage floor. I removed the fairings this evening and started looking for a leak. I was about to give up, until I lay on my back and found dried antifreeze where this hose attaches. The hose clamp was a little more than finger tight, not much though. The PO stated that the coolant was flushed when the valves were serviced. The coolant does look new and perhaps the clamp was forgotten? Who knows, but now it doesn't seep. I also installed the wedges I purchased from the classifieds here, I like the angle better thanthe stock angle.
I received my resprung and revalved shock Friday evening and will be installing sometime soon. The original had 33k on it and it's under sprung and under damped. I was having to add too much preload to combat the wallowing and there wasn't enough rebound control with any amount of preload added. I look forward to getting this installed.
Be sure to reply back on how the shock works for you!
wayne

bmidd

Be sure to reply back on how the shock works for you!
wayne
I installed it last night and set the sag, it's nice to have a shock that is properly sprung. Out of the box it requires no added preload to get 35mm of total sag, there is 3.25 turns of total rebound control and I have it set at 1.25 in right now. For comparison, I had to run the stock shock about 12 turns in and there was absolutely no rebound control, frankly there was no rebound control with very little preload, the rear was like a trampoline.
Going on a good long ride tomorrow and will have some feedback for you.
Jamie @ DMr Suspension Service knows his stuff, I bought a full suspension setup(shock and fork cartridges) for my 6th Gen VFR and it totally transformed the bike.

ZXtasy

B double E double R U N, BeerRun!!! Rode that bish...11/20/2020, unseasonably warm 50 degrees at 15:30, and my brother in law (who can't drive due to medical conditions) needed beer. I'm on it!! Had not turned her over for 2 weeks, but she fired up and I did a nice 12 mile RT to the Piggly Wiggly, aka Safeway. A half rack o Modelo bottles fits nicely in each SB.

bmidd

And sadly, this is why dyno charts are so effective at selling performance components, because very few people really understand what to expect from what they are buying, and think all they ever need to know is in the dyno chart.

If you want to educate yourself, research what happens with very large diameter head and mid pipe headers. Study things like "flow velocity" and "passive egr".
Is that why you post dyno charts on your website?

connie_rider

Just my 2 cents;
There is nothing wrong with Dyno charts as they can be used for some information/comparison.
In fact, their a great way for the Flash guys to show off their products, and a good way to compare the various Flash/exhaust combinations.
The problem is, most don't know how to use them or realize how their developed, and a dyno run does not represent the real world.
ie; Dyno runs are done at WOT, and do "not" show lower throttle settings. {So they don't represent normal street riding}.

The Dyno plot needs to be looked at closely to see the entire power/torque curve. (Not only the peak HP)
Comparisons of different curves MUST be looked at to compare/understand the information of a plot.

Most of our riding is "not" at WOT and a bikes components should be selected accordingly.

Horsenuts 123; An engine with a big tubed header does not actually "loose" low/mid range power.
ie; {Because of it's flow characteristic's} It doesn't/can't develop the same amount of torque at low RPM's,, that an engine {using a header with smaller tubes} can produce.
{When properly tuned} a flash is developed to get the most (possible) torque from an engine throughout the RPM range.
Unfortunately, no Flash can make big tubed headers develop the same low end grunt as headers with smaller tubes.

NOTE: Big Tubed/etc headers {without a matching flash} can sometimes produce less torque/hp than a stock set of headers alone.
So, if you want the best for $$ spent, you need both header and a matching Flash.

Last edited:

bmidd

No, I post dyno charts on my website because if I don't, people who have a very limited view of what various modifications do wouldn't have anything to look at.;)o_O:):)

People forget that they do about 1% of their riding at WOT, and that's all you glean from a typical dyno chart. What about all the other times when you have those gian tube headers, riding at 3500 rpm at 10% throttle on the highway? No matter what, tuning can't get back the throttle snap those huge tubes lost via slow velocity.

I'll guarantee you that a stock concours with a good flash will outrun a concours with an area p pipe and a good tune on higher gear roll ons to about 5500 - 6000 rpm. BTDT. From there up the big pipe will kill it... but if you're a person who wants to turn the throttle without downshifting and experience the torque a c-14 can develop (like most riders) you are not going to like what happens with the big tube header.

Bigger isn't always better, but it takes experience to come to that conclusion. Otherwise, you'll have to hang your hat on that WOT dyno chart and "think" you understand how the bike is going to act under regular riding conditions.

Don't be mad with me, I'm just reporting the realities that come with hotrodding... often times that big cam / header / intake / throttle body/ whatever just turned out to be a big step backward on the street. Seen it a thousand times. Kids will argue about this, but mature hotrodders know exactly what I'm talking about.

Steve
Enough of the condescension dude no one is mad, but why don't you put your ego aside and stop talking down to people. Seems like you can't get enough of it. EVERYTHING I have done with Ivan has been in the quest for better all around drivability, not bragging rights for dyno charts. Do you think you are the only tuner out there that tunes for better all around response, you aren't. So in the end, I'm glad you have happy customers and I'm glad there is another choice, besides you for tuning.

SNSconcours14

I changed the oil and filter. It was warm today, 37 degrees. Cleaned her up. Put her on the Optimate 4. Now, I'm going to wake her up every 2 or 3 weeks from here on out till the weather warms up.

Road Runner

SE USA - AAD
Yesterday (Dec. 5), I trekked with a small group to Eldridge, AL, to participate - along with hundreds of bikers and non-bikers - in the annual, 1st-Sat-in-Dec, Toy Run to benefit the children living at the Children's Home.

horsenuts123

I started mine for the first time since late November. Got a low battery warning right after it fired up, but then battery voltage showed 14.7. I let it run for a few minutes, then went on a very chilly 20 minute ride and put it away again. Hopefully it's only a few weeks till I can get her out again!

danmcdermott@me.com

Valve inspection, replaced hydraulics, flushed cooling system, cleaned and recharged K&N air filter, lubricated hinge points, wired aux lights to neutrino, eliminated accessory blade fuses, installed Heli-Bars, changed the oil, changed end case oil, changed city lights to HID and test rode.

Heli-Bars make a huge difference!

Road Runner

SE USA - AAD
After our bit of southern ice/snow this past week, took it out for a 70-mile spin today. The near 60-degree temp made it too tempting not to get out and play in the twisties ...

BrokenVessel

Presently in Mountain Home, AR. ~400 miles from home area (in N. AL). Fred Harmon has my bike and is performing the valve check/adjustment, throttle bottle sync., and a few other odds and ends. Should have my much-improved bike back Monday afternoon. Looking forward to it!
Does he run a shop in the area? I'm somewhat local myself.

horsenuts123

He has a shop/garage at his house, he only schedules one bike at a time.
I'm 473 miles northwest of there and will need my valves done for the first time later on this summer. The question is, what do you do with yourself for a couple days while your bike gets some TLC?

lather

I hauled my 2008 Concours and my track bike up to Fred's in 2017. I got a cheap motel room in Mountain Home and spent the day riding the great roads in the area while Fred worked on my bike.

Just Cliff

I hauled my 2008 Concours and my track bike up to Fred's in 2017. I got a cheap motel room in Mountain Home and spent the day riding the great roads in the area while Fred worked on my bike.
What lather did would be ideal provided you have 2 bikes & means to haul them. We have some great roads in AR, at least try to hang around a couple days & ride afterwards. Fred is only 5 - 10 miles from Push Mountain Rd. (hwy. 341) & the list of roads just grows from there.

Fred's never done mine but I'm pretty sure he has a very quick turn around. One of the reasons he'll only take one bike at a time, he doesn't have any other distractions.

horsenuts123

What lather did would be ideal provided you have 2 bikes & means to haul them. We have some great roads in AR, at least try to hang around a couple days & ride afterwards. Fred is only 5 - 10 miles from Push Mountain Rd. (hwy. 341) & the list of roads just grows from there.

Fred's never done mine but I'm pretty sure he has a very quick turn around. One of the reasons he'll only take one bike at a time, he doesn't have any other distractions.
I don't have a second bike, so I'll be riding down. Sounds like hwy. 341 might be a good road to shake the bike out on when Fred's done!

chrismpero

Took off plastics, seat and windscreen in lieu of doing my valve adjustment. Unbolted tank as well as I thought I had too, oops. Lol

kzz1king

Took off plastics, seat and windscreen in lieu of doing my valve adjustment. Unbolted tank as well as I thought I had too, oops. Lol
Depending on miles its a good time to check fuel filter. I removed radiator when I did mine and changed fluid as well. Gave me a little more room with little more effort.

lather

There is a Quality Inn not far from Fred's House. Walking distance to a nice sports bar that has a good food menu and great pizza. I found Fred to be a great guy to deal with.

Road Runner

SE USA - AAD
I'm 473 miles northwest of there and will need my valves done for the first time later on this summer. The question is, what do you do with yourself for a couple days while your bike gets some TLC?
I took my bike to Fred just after lunch on a Sunday (~ 2 pm) and had it back at 4 pm on Monday. Valves checked / adjusted, throttle body sync and some other odd-n-ends. Well worth it if convenient to do so, unless you can do the work yourself.

2andblue

Installed radiator, filled coolant, hooked up all wiring and temporarily torqued engine braces and subframe for first startup after valve clearance check.

All good! Burped hoses, refilled coolant then half dozen heat cycles in front of high flow fans. No oil or coolant leaks, had to adjust idle down ~300 RPM, guessing from better efficiency of valve closures.

Now to take braces/ subframe and most wiring disconnect to install the Healtech and Quick Shifter.