• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What have your done to your C14 today

Looked at the opened up innards under the set waiting, still waiting for the ECU from SISF and the new flash. Have seriously questioned the mail person twice as it should have been here Friday, he must think I am waiting for some drugs or something...well, yeah  it is like that . need my Crack!!!!!

connie_rider said:
Good luck with getting a day to ride.
We'll be waiting for your ride report.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks. Looks like it's be Wed for sure. It's be ~200 mile round-trip trek from home to work Hq. (note, I work out of my home office most of time).

Was tired of attempting to find a GoPro mount that would put it within arms reach, and right-side up for button access.

So, I made my own with some aluminum bar stock and attached it inside the mirror gap with 3M sticky tape. I used a tiny vice, hammer, and a pair of vice grips to bend the metal into shape. Having no skill at this, I was lucky enough to get it to match the compound curve in there after a couple of fittings.

So far, vibration is very minimal and I can easily reach out to start/stop video recording.

Attachments

• 20190527_162300.jpg
    20190527_162300.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 125
Just rode it to get coffee  2nd tiem this year I'd had her out.  Last time was less than 2 miles 4 weeks ago.  Not normally a big deal, but I've been riding my 99 Road King  this year trying to get a carb hiccup evened out.  Hopped on the Connie and after riding a 20 year old carb'd Harley I felt like I was riding a MotoGP bike.  Brakes were RIGHT NOW, the handling was superb, and the power (clutched one up in 3rd) was intoxicating.

I appreciated this bike all over again.  Oh, and a few Harley riders would not wave back.  I like to wear my Honda and Kawasaki shirt (don't own a single HD shirt) when I ride my Harley and not wave back at them.  Makes me giggle.  >:D

Russ said:
Hexrays said:
Installed a ProjektD Handlebar Stick for my Sena Remote and Ram Cell Phone Mount.

I've been thinking about a Ram Cell phone mount, are you going to tether it?
No need to tether it. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 and it fits nice and snug. I'm not worried about it falling out of the Ram mount.

Hexrays said:
Russ said:
Hexrays said:
Installed a ProjektD Handlebar Stick for my Sena Remote and Ram Cell Phone Mount.

I've been thinking about a Ram Cell phone mount, are you going to tether it?
No need to tether it. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 and it fits nice and snug. I'm not worried about it falling out of the Ram mount.
My riding buddy and I went for a ride with someone from his work today.  Was talking to him about his smart phone mounted on his bike.  He said he quit buying nice phones because he had accidentally knocked 2 phones out of the Ram mount while riding.  Oops.

My riding buddy, his work buddy and I rode about 150 miles today.  Went on a bunch of roads I'd never been on before.  Lots of twisties although the pic of my google timeline doesn't show that.  I guess it's a general idea of area we covered.  Great weather, curvy roads and good company made for a great day today!

Attachments

• June 1 2019 Ride w Rob & Dustin.jpg
    June 1 2019 Ride w Rob & Dustin.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Williams Bridge 1884.jpg
    Williams Bridge 1884.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Williams Bridge w Bikes Inside.jpg
    Williams Bridge w Bikes Inside.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 108
I installed some purple LED position (city) lights.  The pictures don't really show the color well, but I think it looks pretty cool!  With shipping and everything it only set me back $15 from Superbite LEDs.

Attachments

• New position lights.jpg
    New position lights.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 90
  • New position lights with headlights.jpg
    New position lights with headlights.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 84
Eric said:
I installed some purple LED position (city) lights.  The pictures don't really show the color well, but I think it looks pretty cool!  With shipping and everything it only set me back $15 from Superbite LEDs.

Cool !  :great:

Looking Good :great:
The headlight is so bright, it washes out the city lights. It's nice to be seen!!

Tundra said:
Looking Good :great:
The headlight is so bright, it washes out the city lights. It's nice to be seen!!

After I changed the headlights to LED the city lights looked downright yellow.  I'm not a fan of yellow...  The stock headlights on low beam were downright dangerous.  I could only see about 25 feet in front of me which doesn't give much reaction time when bambi is on the road.

Ordered another set of Michelin PR4  GTs 12,000 miles on the current set and they still have some life, just don't want to be caught with my pants down.

Grant said:
Ordered another set of Michelin PR4  GTs 12,000 miles on the current set and they still have some life, just don't want to be caught with my pants down.

I like PR4's, but not sure I'd wear them ; LOL. I get your drift. I've got great life out of PR4 GT's and Angel GTs

Had new sneakers installed - Dunlop Road Smart 3s.  Will take a Dad's Day ride tomorrow morning to see how they feel.

Got a Cardo Scala Q-Solo Bluetooth for Dad's Day and installed it in my helmet last night.  Yes, technically it's not something I did to my C14, but with toboggan season over in Austin, what else am I going to use my helmet for? :great:

Dalbery said:
Taped the bike up and am buffing and waxing it. When done I'm installing my Ram mount cell holder!!
I just put another 200 miles of juicy bugs on mine. Trying to keep it clean is an exercise in futility around here.
Had fun with a little ford hatchback on a long stretch of open slab on the way back home. He was pretty quick and feeling good until I shifted out of 6th🤣 It honestly was a fast car. ST or SR badge on it, I can’t remember exactly.

Took a pair of ProjektD bar extenders off the bike the PO had put on. I don't use them & like the cleaner look. Sold one but one is available if anyone wants it, black color - $10 + shipping.

Bud said:
My riding buddy, his work buddy and I rode about 150 miles today.  Went on a bunch of roads I'd never been on before.  Lots of twisties although the pic of my google timeline doesn't show that.  I guess it's a general idea of area we covered.  Great weather, curvy roads and good company made for a great day today!

lemme guess.... the work buddie's buddy, is the guy in the pic, and was on the H/D.... did I win? :rotflmao:

dude..  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

hopefully he didn't leave both them Brown Bottles on the bridge... and tucked them in his bag....
:beerchug: :beerchug: :??: :??:

just pulling your leg, I know we can't control those that make choices... ;)

Well you were close! :nananana: :nananana:  That was the guy, but the bike was a Honda. :nananana: :nananana:  And the brown bottles went back in the wing trunk they came out of.  With all of the graffiti on the deck of the bridge, I don't think anyone would have noticed anything left behind :??:.  We practiced riding the porkers between the posts they had in the ground to close the bridge permanently. :-\ ;D  :motonoises:  I have to add this.  The new guy on the V twin Honda rode well and wasn't Mr Pokey like the HD guys we rode with last year.  Not only that, but the guys on the HD's were the type that didn't appreciate the fine qualities of the C14 and made that known with their comments.  Me thinks they were jealous cause they couldn't keep up. ;)

I had to laugh, last year I pulled around a HOG'r, to the pump in front of him, and "lowered my windshield"... when I got off the bike, the guy walked up and said "that's some cool shheeeeT, that shield going up and down... wish they made one for my bike,,,"
I laughed, and told him "if they did, they would have charged ya out the "ying-yang" for it..."... he found humor in that also...  :great:

ride safe Y'all...

Changed the oil, filter and differential fluid and then installed the Pathfinder LED lighting package from SOCALMOTO (headlights & city lights) - bought off Ebay from Parts Giant (cheaper pricing).  Huge difference!!!  Now ready for some weekend riding if the weather stays nice.

Pulled my "custom, handcrafted" (read; cheap, cobbled together from stuff laying around the workbench!) wind deflectors off. Can feel the breeze on my hands again.

Replaced my used, track day Dunlop Q3 that I ran down to the cords off the back of the C14, replaced with a used 180/55 Pirelli Scorpion Trail off of a Ducati Multistrada to see how it works. Heavier than the Q3, and maybe I can attack trails? Leaving the used Q3 on the front for now as it is only just starting to cup and is nice and sticky. If I don't like the feel of the combo I will put the Scorpion front on until they wear out, then try the Dunlop RS3's...

OK Have had my new 17 Blue for about 3 months now
Garmin Hard wired
ram mount cell phone holder
Avon 3D storms
Oil Change x2
Canyon Cages with foot pegs
T Rex Saddle bag guards
Corbin seat with Smuggler
COG Sticker  :great:
Area P Slip on
Friday ECU will be sent out

Still Wants
Bike lowering  I never notice but my 08 may have been lowered  It handled so much nicer in the turns

Finally got around to installing the Vance +Hines CS one, A buddy gave to me a couple years ago.  I.paid for the shipping.... :)  can't believe how heavy that stock bazooka is.....sounds good at idle, have to see how loud she is a highway speeds....

Replaced the trashed USB cord for my Garmin GPS with a new more sturdier one and also picked up my personalized plate.  ;D

Performed semi-annual oil & oil filter and final gear oil change. Unfortunately, I end up with a puncture in my rear tear the next day. Tried plugging it, but it would not hold air, so I ordered a new Pirelli Angel GT A-Spec tire. Waiting for it to arrive ...

Prepping for the ride to Laguna Sega next week so I have done:Rear diff lube replaced,
Replaced front and rear wheel bearings, they had over 22K since I bought the bike last year,Front brake fluid flush and replace, it was getting dark,
Coolant hoses replaced and engine ice installed after three flushes with distilled water,Checked all bolts I could reach with the skins off to ensure they are set correctly,
Reset the suspension to comp for more weight for this trip, both bags full and a bag on passenger seat,Oil & filter change with Mobil1 15W-50 full synth,New air filter,Added two LED strips to the mid fairing section.  I had been waiting until I pulled the skins off, nice blue glow when switched on.
Picked up a nail in the rear tire, a Road5 with only 3K on it. The plug worked fine BUT, ordered a new one and installed it yesterday.Washed and waxed Connie, I think she is ready to roll...me too.
WoooHooo!

Gilbysan

gilbysan said:
Prepping for the ride to Laguna Sega next week so I have done:Rear diff lube replaced,
Replaced front and rear wheel bearings, they had over 22K since I bought the bike last year,Front brake fluid flush and replace, it was getting dark,
Coolant hoses replaced and engine ice installed after three flushes with distilled water,Checked all bolts I could reach with the skins off to ensure they are set correctly,
Reset the suspension to comp for more weight for this trip, both bags full and a bag on passenger seat,Oil & filter change with Mobil1 15W-50 full synth,New air filter,Added two LED strips to the mid fairing section.  I had been waiting until I pulled the skins off, nice blue glow when switched on.
Picked up a nail in the rear tire, a Road5 with only 3K on it. The plug worked fine BUT, ordered a new one and installed it yesterday.Washed and waxed Connie, I think she is ready to roll...me too.
WoooHooo!

Gilbysan

Nice job on the preventative maintenance!! Wish you safe travels, you are certainly prepared. I used to really enjoy working on my bikes, not so much anymore.

Nothing... I'm in Illinois on "vacation" and missing my Connie severely.    :'( :'( :'(  And there's still a week to go !!!  :mad:  I want to go hooommme!!!  :sign0085:

MtnRider said:
Nothing... I'm in Illinois on "vacation" and missing my Connie severely.    :'( :'( :'(  And there's still a week to go !!!  :mad:  I want to go hooommme!!!  :sign0085:

OMG :-\ "ILL"in noise!  I can't imagine anyplace in that place worthy of going unless it's through that state to get to a better place!  You have my deepest condolences J/K

MtnRider said:

Think of it this way; your closer to Williamsport than you will be at home.
Sooo,,,, finish your vacation in purgatory, then head east for a Connie fix at the COG National.  :great: :motonoises:

Ride safe, Ted

all day event on Sunday....
remove and dump fuel tank
replace filter in fuel pump
flush and replace final drive lube
Fresh oil filter and changeover to Castrol 4T full synth
Oh, and Installed my Mountain Runner Premium flashed ECU....

going for gasoline shortly, and after checking tires and airing up...

I'll see if it will start and run....  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

and, go for a ride... :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

I installed a "Kaoko Throttle Lock" this past April. I never reviewed it.

It is hands down the best throttle lock I've used in all my years of riding. It installs easy, works well and much easier to engage/disengage due to the design, even with gloves. I've previously not cared for them as I enjoy spirited riding and rarely ride very long at one speed. Well I certainly have grown fond of this, even if just for throttle hand relief on long rides. I didn't want to mess with cruise control and the headache installation and really didn't want to spend the money on this, it's probably the most expensive throttle lock available. I'm very glad I did, looks good, works good and comes with a matching bar end weight. For what it is... "Throttle Lock" not a "Cruise Control" I recommend it for those that may be interested.

Me and my wife did a 270 mile ride to the dragon and the foothills parkway in the smoky mountains . First long ride on new to me 08 . Love that bike!  Also left a mustang in the dust that wanted race me .lol

Mtnrider, at least ur not there in dec/Jan..... this past one was BRUTAL.  So glad we moved south to georgia in october.... :))

Mike said:
Me and my wife did a 270 mile ride to the dragon and the foothills parkway in the smoky mountains . First long ride on new to me 08 . Love that bike!  Also left a mustang in the dust that wanted race me .lol

Lol, but be careful out there. With road rage seemingly on the rise, I don't want to see one of my fellow COG'ers (or anyone) in harm's way because the other guy wants to "win." Lately, I find more people cutting me off (even if I'm in right lane), while changing lanes without little clearance.

Getting ready for the National;
  ECU received with Mountain Runner Premium Flash, and installed.
  Beamtech LED Headlights received and installed.
  Dual port USB plug installed.

Ride safe, Ted

Gumby,, Shhhh!! I'm trying to make them think I did some real work...  :67:

Actually {smarty eleck},, I did try one of those.
  Still vibrated out of the Socket :-[, so I installed a better plug in the left side of my Dash.  :great:

Mike, haven't got to do a real ride yet.
  Seems quicker than my MR. Power is great, {maybe more linear},, but hard to do a real comparison.
    ie; I've only got to ride with it in Houston traffic...  :angry: 

Will give it a better test at the National.  :motonoises: :great:

Ride safe, Ted

Well, I decided to give the Dunlop Roadsmart III a shot.  Liked the angel gt's but it did seem that they lose that new feel after a few thousand miles.  Dunlop says that the Roadsmart III will feel newer longer.  We will see.  I didn't feel like trying to mount that fat biotch by myself, so I took it to the local HD oriented independent dealer and had him mount and balance it on his high dollar equipment.  Here's a little shout out to Josh Young at Performance Cycle in Tell City, Indiana.  Josh's attention to detail is top notch!  TPS will not be damaged as long as you tell him it's in there.  I'm probably gonna wait until tomorrow morning to put the rear wheel back on.  Early mornings are MY time.  Best part of the day to show Connie some love!

Gumby said:
connie_rider said:
  Dual port USB plug installed.

Ride safe, Ted
Installing these things is not really something to brag about Ted. :nananana:

Now, if he'd gone all the way and put the fuzzy velcro strip on the top so it wouldn't back out, he'd have had something to brag about. VERY technical installation...  ;D

Nice! Thinking of doing this to my C14. What was the cost for shock install? Did you buy it separately or through them with the install? Curious on the custom front fork though.

br said:
Had KFG here in the northwest install Ohlins shock, and custom front forks. Feels like a new bike.

Installed the rear wheel with a fresh Dunlop Roadsmart III.  First Dunlop I've bought in decades.  I think the last one I had was a K291 touring elite in the early 80's.  Gonna find out if Dunlop's claim of feeling new longer than the competition is true or not.
s-l1600.jpg

Robert. Ohlins shock was 1224.00 labor to install was 110.00.Custom re-valve and piston kit,Gp fork springs, seals fork oil and labor to do forks came to 2292.73. I know that's a lot of money. I was going to buy a KTM 1290gt, but at 24,000, this was the route I ended up doing.

Been over a week since I rode, due to rear tire puncture. Having withdrawals! New tire in and will be installed on Fri (7/12) Yee Ha!

Road Runner said:
Been over a week since I rode, due to rear tire puncture. Having withdrawals! New tire in and will be installed on Fri (7/12) Yee Ha!

I hear ya...

I had the same thing happen and with scheduling conflicts, today is the first ride on over a month!!!

Felt GOOD to be back on the bike!!! :motonoises:

Egodriver71 said:
Road Runner said:

I hear ya...

I had the same thing happen and with scheduling conflicts, today is the first ride on over a month!!!

Oh yeah; for sure! Spending-time-with-bike therapy is  :great:

Road Runner said:
Egodriver71 said:
Road Runner said:

I hear ya...

Oh yeah; for sure! Spending-time-with-bike therapy is  :great:

But I pulled off riding to work Friday and today!!!

Ordered the Delkevic full exhaust with 18" SS oval silencer.  Did a 550 mile ride saturday, 150 of it on paved but rough single lane that beat the crap out of me. Gonna need some suspension work after exhaust and Shoodaben flash.

HeavyRotation said:
Ordered the Delkevic full exhaust with 18" SS oval silencer.  Did a 550 mile ride saturday, 150 of it on paved but rough single lane that beat the crap out of me. Gonna need some suspension work after exhaust and Shoodaben flash.

Did you come through McKenna and stop at the park with 2 Harleys and another sport bike? If so the wife and I saw you on our way home...

br said:
Had KFG here in the northwest install Ohlins shock, and custom front forks. Feels like a new bike.
Barry and April are great kids and do awesome work, did my ZX-10 and I still have their quote for the C-14 sitting on my desk for the winter months.

Got to ride it today to work after 2 weeks off for a vacation. Glad the police were at the donut shops (or elsewhere)...  :motonoises: :motonoises: :)

Grant said:
HeavyRotation said:

Did you come through McKenna and stop at the park with 2 Harleys and another sport bike? If so the wife and I saw you on our way home...
Nah I roll solo mostly. I ran backroads south to Canyonville, i5 to Wolf Creek down to the Rogue at Grave Creek for a swim, then over Bear Camp to Gold Beach, up 101 to Reedsport, Smith River Road back to Crow, home to Eugene. Lots of paved single lane. You local? I do a lot of long single-day trips.

Remounted my STS sensor for the third and hopefully last time. It hasn't been picking up enough vibration to shut off the turn signal on the time-out feature. Bike is too smooth per the STS guys. Ah darn.    ;D

Pulled the K&N air filter out and trashed it & put in a HiFlo while I had the plastic off for the STS move..

Recieved and installed my new Delkevic full exhaust system. Very impressed with the quality at this price point. Nice big header tubes, tons lighter than the stock catalyst equipped header and giant potato gun silencer. Took me 4.5 hours start to finish, I'm not a great mechanic, or even a competent one really, but everything lined up, looks good, no leaks. Delkevic included, all very nice exhaust clamps, new copper header crush washers, hanger hardware and even included a fresh tube of black RTV. Made it easy. A brief road test showed quicker revving off the bottom and significantly better pull through the top end. I'll be sending the ecu to Steve for his full system AreaP flash but the bike's running just peachy on the stock fueling, with the restrictive and surprisingly quiet baffle in anyway. I don't think you can go wrong with this system, I paid $406 for the full system with stainless 18" oval silencer. My FMF 4.1 slip on some for my 701 was more than that. I'll probably write up an in depth review after a month living with it, but i don't see any obvious downsides.

I changed the oil and filter yesterday.  When I got the old filter off, I found a big dent in the side of the filter that faced the ground.  I finally ordered a filter protector from Murph and installed it.

Mike

Attachments

• c14_filter.JPG
    c14_filter.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 107
  • c14_filter_cover.jpg
    c14_filter_cover.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 98
Michael_Seubert_WI said:
I changed the oil and filter yesterday.  When I got the old filter off, I found a big dent in the side of the filter that faced the ground.  I finally ordered a filter protector from Murph and installed it.

Mike

Hmm, from speed bump; maybe ... ?

Michael_Seubert_WI said:

Mike

WOW...
that's kinda weird, especially when you look at the second photo, and see actually where that filter lives.. and I don't see any damage to the exhaust collectors, nor to the engine crankcase that sits lo there..  you lucked out whatever you did....  :great:

I run the K&N filter with the end "nut" hex, and really don't think about the filter.. I worry more about my drain plug/protective "bump", and the pan more than the filter ('08 model I have has the drain on the bottom..)

New SHOES!

Back to the PR4 from the Angel SPec As

Rained like mad.....remembered how sure footed this bike is with the Michelins

Put a USB socket in the left side where there's place for a receptacle. Had to use 1 1/4" hole saw to cut the opening and Dremel tool to round out the metal bracket behind the plastic. Needed power for my phone. Used the following from Amazon: Ginsco Dual USB Charger Socket Power Outlet 2.1A & 2.1A(4.2A) for Car Boat Marine RV Mobile with Wire Fuse DIY Kit Blue LED

I finally got the courage to install my Canyon Cages that I've had in the garage since January. Ended up being much easier than anticipated! Finished up in roughly 2.5-3 hours.

Anthony said:
I finally got the courage to install my Canyon Cages that I've had in the garage since January. Ended up being much easier than anticipated! Finished up in roughly 2.5-3 hours.

Yup and will save you on your future CDAs

Anthony said:

:great: One of the first farkles I installed on my bike; well worth it. Cool !

Road Runner said:
Anthony said:

:great: One of the first farkles I installed on my bike; well worth it. Cool !

Definitely worth it! I was mostly intimidated by hearing other peoples struggles with it mixed with a side of being lazy. Just happy it's Finally done!!!

Ordered and received a Two Brothers slip-on exhaust "re-pack kit." Plan to tackle the re-pack soon, using the Youtube tutorial as a guide.

Ordered Penske 8975 Double Adjustable Shock.  :)

With passenger stock rear suspension -nicely stated- inadequate.

HeavyRotation said:
Valve check (5 hours), flushed the clutch, forks service new seals and RT springs (3 hours). I wish i was a better mechanic.

Nice! I wish you were a local mechanic! Would love to get the same done.  :mad:  :great:

I need to look into re-filling and replacing the seals on my '08 this winter.  You mention a Fred Harmon pictorial...where can I find that?
And any other pertinent information?

Here's Fred's C14 gallery info. Not sure it covers seals but there's other helpful info...
https://pbase.com/fredharmon/concours14

Steampunk Barnstormer said:
I need to look into re-filling and replacing the seals on my '08 this winter.  You mention a Fred Harmon pictorial...where can I find that?
And any other pertinent information?

Hey Coggers!
Ended up replacing my clutch last weekend. It had been slipping for a couple of weeks under heavy throttle when over about 6K RPM.  Tried bleeding the clutch main and slave, no joy, so I buckled down and with the help of my Son Zach who also has a C14 we replaced the friction plates, and springs, the slave seal and spring, refilled and bled the fluid and all is good in the universe again.
Cheers!
Gilbysan

gilbysan said:
Hey Coggers!
Ended up replacing my clutch last weekend. It had been slipping for a couple of weeks under heavy throttle when over about 6K RPM.  Tried bleeding the clutch main and slave, no joy, so I buckled down and with the help of my Son Zach who also has a C14 we replaced the friction plates, and springs, the slave seal and spring, refilled and bled the fluid and all is good in the universe again.
Cheers!
Gilbysan

I'm curious as to the year model & mileage on your bike. It appears to be a 2017 in your avatar. Shouldn't be replacing the clutch so soon I wouldn't think.

Inquiring minds want to know!  :motonoises:

Yeah, it's a 2012 with 29K. I too was concerned, it could have been the slave seal, which was pretty played out when I put the new one in, the plates looked ok, and I have yet to mic them to compare to factory.  I do get on it some but no more than others I know.

Since I had ordered the plates, seal, springs and gasket I figured wth I would just do it all and get it over with. So far, so good. Took about an hour from start to finish.

Hi Gilbysan,
I'm curious if you don't mind sharing, what was the culprit? How many miles on your bike? I know several with high milage Connie's and haven't had any clutch related problems yet. I hated to even mention this subject although curious what type of oil you are using?
Glad you got to the bottom of it.

Hey Tundra!

No worries, glad to share.  2012, 29K miles.  Since I did the friction plates and springs, slave seal and spring, I am not certain which was the root cause.  I was using M1 20W-50.  Did this for two changes.  Went back to Actevo 10W-40 4T with the new clutch.

It is a mystery why it was slipping with so relatively few miles on the clock.  I note that now when moving from neutral to 1st there is much less of a "clunk" and the move from1st to 2d is much smoother.  Not sure why other than the clutch.

I ordered but did not use the clutch basket springs because I did not remove the whole basket, just the plates.

The original cover gasket was in good shape so I reused it, but pinched it with a bolt at the bottom which developed a slow oil leak.  I put it on the side stand and put a new gasket on, did not have to drain the oil, and all was good. 

Finally, I have used an aftermarket set of levers, mid length for the past 27K miles and contrary to legend cannot think of how that may have co tributed to the clutch failure.

Hope this helps!

Gilbysan

Removed and shipped ECU to SISF for the AP Flash which im hoping works well with my recently  installed full Delkeic 4-1. Also realized i probably somewhat overtorqued my header nuts, manual says 13 lbft, yikes. I guess if the studs didnt snap it's probably fine....? Oh, Gilbysan, everyone knows the secret to long clutch life is rolling burnouts and Rotella.  :beerchug:

gilbysan said:
Hey Tundra!

No worries, glad to share.  2012, 29K miles.  Since I did the friction plates and springs, slave seal and spring, I am not certain which was the root cause.  I was using M1 20W-50.  Did this for two changes.  Went back to Actevo 10W-40 4T with the new clutch.

It is a mystery why it was slipping with so relatively few miles on the clock.  I note that now when moving from neutral to 1st there is much less of a "clunk" and the move from1st to 2d is much smoother.  Not sure why other than the clutch.

Gilbysan

Surely it was just the seal & spring. Just not enough miles for disc it seems, but I don't know much. Good to know it was relatively quick & easy job though.

Tundra said:
Hi Gilbysan,
I'm curious if you don't mind sharing, what was the culprit? How many miles on your bike? I know several with high milage Connie's and haven't had any clutch related problems yet. I hated to even mention this subject although curious what type of oil you are using?

I have one of those higher mileage bikes with no clutch problems yet. Always upshift clutchless & use Rotella T6!

I guess we will never quite know, but I would not bet against the seal being the culprit.  If so, and once I mic out the plates I may just have an extra set of plates on hand...
When in doubt, and with no time, swap it all out!
Cheers!
Gilbysan

Because I daily commute in heavy traffic and rarely put a foot down unless more than a momentary pause is required, I spend a lot of time in the friction zone. Because  of what maybe excessive use of the clutch I have been wondering if my clutch is in need of adjustment. I guess it's not that troubling to me or I would break out my service manual LOL

HeavyRotation said:
Removed and shipped ECU to SISF for the AP Flash which im hoping works well with my recently  installed full Delkeic 4-1. Also realized i probably somewhat overtorqued my header nuts, manual says 13 lbft, yikes. I guess if the studs didnt snap it's probably fine....? Oh, Gilbysan, everyone knows the secret to long clutch life is rolling burnouts and Rotella.  :beerchug:

Please keep us updated on your Flash and header thoughts.
Seen where several have installed the Delkevic system, but don't recall seeing a ride report.
Particularly interested in your thoughts with the Delks. before and after the flash.

Ride safe, Ted