• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What have your done to your C14 today

Diz said:
Switchback lighting has this effect. .a COG industry member makes the kit. The running lights make you really visible to oncoming traffic. The photo doesn't capture how much brighter the brakes become with the change but it does show the turn indicator lights working as brake lights.  :great:

Looks good Diz! I might have to add to my list of things for down the road. Right now I have my sights set on a Evolution tune from SISF.  :)

Today I've taken my DuckTape on a first rainy ride. BT021 tires do not inspire confidence!
I desperately have to make a decision which tires to get before a nasty spill happens. 
Made it home safe, although I got some water seepage. Time to switch to real rain gear...

Cheers...

Dreaming about riding it, it only has 61 miles on it got it Saturday and it has been raining hard since.
Friday is supposed to be nice so I will hopefully be riding it to work then.

Just found out that I, apparently, ordered the last Concours 14 CeeBailey's windscreen they'll ever make. They've discontinued all motorcycle windscreens. (Mine's an XT model.)

Akumu said:
Just found out that I, apparently, ordered the last Concours 14 CeeBailey's windscreen they'll ever make. They've discontinued all motorcycle windscreens. (Mine's an XT model.)

Wow that's strange, I just got a new short version on the Mini-Euro a while back. I have a new ECU flash coming for my C14 this week.

Gumby said:
Akumu said:
:-\

Yep, if you click on this link it says nothing about motorcycles  https://www.ceebaileys.com/motorcycle-windshields

I noticed that the other day, but I didn't know they weren't going to make Concours windshields anymore. I just thought their site was acting up. I guess I'm not getting one of their shields.  :truce:

First day not down pouring since I got it so I rode it to work for the first time.

Second day in a row I have gotten to ride to work now I sit in a dump truck here in Seattle.
Sure wish I wish I was riding  :motonoises: been on standby for over two hours. :??:

Picking up my new to me 2009 C14 on Saturday!!

She will share the garage with my 2017 Yamaha FZ10  :great:

6000000003.jpg

20170913_112550.jpg

20170913_112129.jpg

12.jpg

Sent a message to the dealership in order to get an appointment to have the break in oil dumped and changed and have a good first inspection done, she now has 500 miles on her...

Rode up on the FZ10 to pay for it today.  Will get dropped off Saturday and ride her home. 

They are already going at it!!!  :rotflmao:

22117774_1730517533917741_1438051311_o_pe222.jpg

Replaced the rear wheel bearings & seal. At a 189,500 miles it just seemed like a good idea even though they seemed fine.

Cliff  :beerchug:

Just Cliff said:
Replaced the rear wheel bearings & seal. At a 189,500 miles it just seemed like a good idea even though they seemed fine.

Amazing  :beerchug:

Bogie said:
Rode up on the FZ10 to pay for it today.  Will get dropped off Saturday and ride her home. 

I love it, THAT'S TOO FUNNY!!!

Replaced my fork seals today. For any of you guys that don’t a headstand, the scissor jack out of a car works perfect. I placed on the header pipe and lifted the front about 1.5”. Perfect height to get the forks out.

Ordered a Cover Anything five layer all weather cover and Kawasaki OEM tank bag.
I have also been researching changing the big ass single exhaust out for a ZX duel system to give the bike a little more symmetry. I wanted to get a full Area P ZX system and make a left side muffler mount but the Area P ZX system is a 4 into 1. Looks like if I want a duel system I will either have to modify the stock ZG head pipe or use a stock ZX head pipe and use Area P ZX slip-on's. Hey Steve!!! What do you think would be easier to tune???

Over the past week - installed J&M CB, Canyon Cages, Throttlemeister, highway pegs, Givi monokey trunk mount from Advanced Sport Touring.

Canyon cages went on smooth - despite the lackluster instructions, everything else was smooth, although the CB was interesting having to remove the fairing and gas tank - there is just not a lot of room under the panels on this bike....

Getting ready to leave on a week+ tour on the new Concours.

best

mqqn

Bogie said:

Funny. I also run a super naked (16 Blue Tuono V4 1100) and a C14. (08 Silver ABS)

Akumu said:
Funny. I also run a super naked (16 Blue Tuono V4 1100) and a C14. (08 Silver ABS)

Awesome!!! If they hadn't brought the FZ10 to the states I would have ended up with a Tuono Factory most likely. Great bikes too.  :beerchug:

Bogie said:
Akumu said:

Awesome!!! If they hadn't brought the FZ10 to the states I would have ended up with a Tuono Factory most likely. Great bikes too.  :beerchug:

Yup, mine is an RR. I fell in love with the blue...and the Sach's suspension is just sweet it's self.

qq1uyq.jpg

29ctj42.jpg

Rode it just over 200 miles, from home to a job site in Bothell then to our shop and home again. Ain't nutten better than getting paid to ride!!!

First thing I noticed with my new to me 09 Connie was that the gas cap lock is one sticky SOB!!! Damn near broke a key the first time.  This will no longer be an issue ever again.  LOL  I have run keyless on all my bikes.  :great:

22278928_1732501627052665_632613930_o.jpg

Rode from Santa Rosa,Fl to Panama City,Fl then rode to Pensacola,Fl then back to Santa Rosa,Fl. Not much of a beach person would rather ride  ;) Heading back to Nashville,Tn in the morning.

Thanks.
My stock cap is getting harder and harder to open/close.
I recently oiled it a bit, and it improved a lot.
Will use that method for now.
If it gets to the point that I need to disassemble it, I'll be moving to a new cap.

Ride safe, Ted

Replaced the nasty gouged mirror with a new one.  Previous owner tried to buff it out but that gouge was way to deep for that and he just ended up thinning out the paint in that spot.  :beerchug:

I gave her a bath, oil change, added stabilizer to the tank and removed the battery. Pushed in her into my neighbor's garage, covered her and said, "See you in April."
The season is done. Feels like it will snow pretty soon.

joliver said:
I gave her a bath, oil change, added stabilizer to the tank and removed the battery. Pushed in her into my neighbor's garage, covered her and said, "See you in April."
The season is done. Feels like it will snow pretty soon.

Worst time of year.  I will be doing the same here very soon.  :( :( :( :( :(

Here in middle tn the weather was in the low 70's so I went to find a series of roads called the Devil's triangle. It starts near Oliver Springs tn. and involves highway 62, then 116 and 330 in the shape of a triangle. highway 116 has the most tight curves. it definitely keeps you focused. 330 is mainly sweepers. Devils triangle is really closer to Knoxville tn then Nashville. it's about 50 miles for the loop. But round trip for me happened to be about 350 miles. 

glenn 12 said:
Here in middle tn the weather was in the low 70's so I went to find a series of roads called the Devil's triangle. It starts near Oliver Springs tn. and involves highway 62, then 116 and 330 in the shape of a triangle. highway 116 has the most tight curves. it definitely keeps you focused. 330 is mainly sweepers. Devils triangle is really closer to Knoxville tn then Nashville. it's about 50 miles for the loop. But round trip for me happened to be about 350 miles.

:beerchug:
That's on my "to do" list.

Replaced the air filter for the first time. Followed the  owner's manual instructions which were surprisingly good and completely removed the mid fairing on the left. That made it a piece of cake so I could pull it  straight out. Took my time and only wasted one push rivet (hate those things).

Well, not actually today,  but installed the ECU after the third flash from his greatness Steve. Version 18.6!  :beerchug:

Tore the bike down to prepare for valve check/adjustment work tomorrow. Changed air filter in process and also plan to drain and refill coolant while I'm at it. Spark plugs changed out ~21K miles ago so no need to touch them

Commuted to work today @ 30º  not bad ..  no show or ice yet .. stopped on the way via the local coffee shop for a latte'  I use a small short thermos that fits perfectly in my tank bag to carry it to the office.

Attachments

• 20171124_082759.jpg
    20171124_082759.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 123
LinuxGuyGary said:
Commuted to work today @ 30º  not bad ..  no show or ice yet .. stopped on the way via the local coffee shop for a latte'  I use a small short thermos that fits perfectly in my tank bag to carry it to the office.
Ith has been unusually warm here unfortunately very wet and not warm enough to make wet bearable.  I really want some good winter gear got this thing too late in the season and it is killing me to not be riding it...

Road Runner said:
Tore the bike down to prepare for valve check/adjustment work tomorrow. Changed air filter in process and also plan to drain and refill coolant while I'm at it. Spark plugs changed out ~21K miles ago so no need to touch them

Just completed the valve check & adjustment (+ other items listed above) this Thanksgiving weekend. I was able to tear the bike down to get it to the valve check point, then called in technical help to have someone check them while I recorded results ... then we dove into the adjustment to correct those out of spec. That part was over my head (mechanically) ... knowing my limitations now). We got her done and I've almost got the bike all back together. Looking forward to taking her for a spin again ...

Got down low and gave the exhaust a close look for space and routing then did some comparisons to pictures of ZX exhaust. Just compiling information and ideas for building a duel system for the C14. Got a few pretty good ideas between what info Ted has rounded up this forum and what I have researched.

Here's my hanger I made that worked great. If you get time check out what I just did with my duals.

Attachments

• 2017-11-24 17.24.00.jpg
    2017-11-24 17.24.00.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 2017-11-24 17.25.52.jpg
    2017-11-24 17.25.52.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 2017-11-25 21.50.53.jpg
    2017-11-25 21.50.53.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 2017-11-25 21.43.54.jpg
    2017-11-25 21.43.54.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 110
I have checked your work out. Very nice. I am actually working on a prototype head pipe that is tuned better for the Concours than the ZX pipe. Paying close attention to what Ma. Kaw did.

Here's my hanger I made that worked great. If you get time check out what I just did with my duals.
Road Runner said:
Road Runner said:

Just completed the valve check & adjustment (+ other items listed above) this Thanksgiving weekend. I was able to tear the bike down to get it to the valve check point, then called in technical help to have someone check them while I recorded results ... then we dove into the adjustment to correct those out of spec. That part was over my head (mechanically) ... knowing my limitations now). We got her done and I've almost got the bike all back together. Looking forward to taking her for a spin again ...
connie_rider said:
LURCH said:
Installed a 2007 ZX14 header and twin two brothers pipes and cans.

Lurch, "really" anxious to hear how it worked out?
Power/sound/torque/etc etc etc??

Ride safe,Ted
connie_rider said:
LURCH said:
Installed a 2007 ZX14 header and twin two brothers pipes and cans.

Lurch, "really" anxious to hear how it worked out?
Power/sound/torque/etc etc etc??

Ride safe,Ted
Well I finally got the system installed. I'm really surprised by the power increase was not expecting that. I no longer have to downshift from o/d to keep from lugging the engine that's a big plus,but the system is loud and at 60-70 mph it's causing more vibration in the bars and it took some work and adapters to get it to fit perfect. I'm not thrilled about having to modify the kickstand and cut and reconfigure the center stand. It really looks much better and runs better as for the sound well I'm 61 but the juvenile delinquent in me likes it.

Attachments

2017-11-25 21.43.54.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 101
    2017-11-25 21.43.54.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 102
Have you addressed the kick and center stand issues yet?

I ordered a ZX14 kickstand and I have yet to take the center stand to a welder to adapt it because I'm not going to do without a center stand as soon as I get that done I'll be happy with everything

I keep planning to install the ZX headers on mine, and {also} keep putting it off..
I'd like to know more about the stands as well??
  What mods are needed?

On your TB pipes, which did you use? (ie; what year ZX-14 were the mufflers supposed to fit?)
From your photo's it appears that the mid pipes were not long enough {or they were not the correct diameter} and you had to install adapter pipes?

Ride safe, Ted

The header was from a 2007 and supposedly the seller a different person said the mid pipe and two brothers mufflers we're also for a 2007. Now they would have fit with me taking them to a shop to have them re bent to get out away from the final drive and down away from the bag but having worked in my youth at Midas I thought if I could just extend them 3 in straight off the header that should fix the problem and it did the pipes went on without a hitch. As for the kickstand it had to be moved out 1/2 of an inch and could probably be bent a little more to clear the pipe the center stand as most people are doing has to have the foot that sticks out extended so that it goes out around the mid pipe right now it hits the bottom of the mid pipe not allowing the kickstand to go up far enough if you're not doing Twistys you probably would not have a problem with that but it most definitely will drag going around a corner so I'm going to take the kickstand to a welder on my bike show him what I need done have the factory arm cut off and a new gusset and arm put on just extending it should take care of the problem. Right side hanger had to be extended 2 inches so the pipe did not hit the bag and you just have to fabricate a hanger for the left side however you want to

With four back operations I don't bend too well so these are the best pictures I could take of the adapters you can't see them unless you get down under the bike and nothing is hanging any lower than the factory exhaust clamp

Attachments

• 2017-11-27 14.10.28.jpg
    2017-11-27 14.10.28.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 2017-11-27 14.11.11.jpg
    2017-11-27 14.11.11.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 117
Rode it to work for probably the last time this year.

Got the stabilizer with me and will throw it in and top off the tank on the way home.

Valve adjust and lots of other maintenance over the winter to get ready for the spring.

Took mine out for a quick ride yesterday {in Houston traffic}. 
  Bad idea!!!!!
Spent more time at red lights and in traffic than riding.    :angry:

Ride safe, Ted

LURCH said:

I'm wondering if the screws in the side case pucks will be strong enough to hold the weight of the exhaust with all the stress it will have on it going down rougher roads?  Looks great though  :great: :beerchug:

I had a serious talk with Santa last week.

Just noticed a box w/a shinny new Delkavic exhaust system and another box from Project D w/a handle bar extension and oil filler cap setting on the front porch.

Santa was in a hurry, so he asked the wife to wrap the boxes nice and pretty for the 25th.

Merry Christmas to all !! :great:

Buzzard said:
I had a serious talk with Santa last week.

Just noticed a box w/a shinny new Delkavic exhaust system and another box from Project D w/a handle bar extension and oil filler cap setting on the front porch.

Santa was in a hurry, so he asked the wife to wrap the boxes nice and pretty for the 25th.

Merry Christmas to all !! :great:

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you as well. Enjoy your presents ... know you will  :great:

Looked at it in the garage as I went to drive a car (GASP!!!) into work today, damn ice and cold temps, but at least my driver is a Mazdaspeed 6 with some tasteful mods.

I just added a pair of Grip Puppies to my '09 C-14.

I like the thicker, grippier, more commanding feel in my hands. Particularly with leather gloves, the stock grips can be a little slippery. When I twist it open in 1st or 2nd, I feel like I have a lot better hold of it now. Plus, they're comfortable and I'm sure will reduce vibration on long trips.

AND, they look great. And I was able to put the "Go Cruise" cruise control back on with it's rubber grip ring and it all works nice. For $18 on Amazon, I feel they were a good add.

Pictures:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w5I3pshTSBMOc--BgTvGDqNPbarGJKlp/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AaBlKvwmeV1eYIXwyX-8215dxRR8YYWP/view

Pulled the battery out, as she just really is slow to start and throws the low battery error since the temps have dropped to the 20-30 range, (45-50 in my garage even it drags after all week on the tender!)  Rode it to work one day last week, 19 degrees in the AM and at 36 for the afternoon high I was almost afraid it was not going to fire! Pretty sure after looking closely it is the OEM battery for a 2013, so it is time. Do not think the PO bothered with a tender much, thought he leads were installed he had no idea what they were.

I have had good experiences with the WPS LI Featherweights in 4 or 5 other rides, so that is going in tonight.

Started on my valve cover / cam sensor oring oil leak. Plus a coolant flush ,spark plugs and a valve check.

Friggin nightmare of a bike to work on  :mad:

Had her down to the cams in sight in 2 1/2 hours though. Murphs kit ordered this morning and hope to button it all back up in the next week or so.

Hour or so in  >:D

oil leaker  :( be advised I degresed it a week ago in preparation for this so build up not quite as bad as it was before the cleaning.

2 1/2 hours in  :'(

How many exhaust bolts nuts are loose? I have a set of Motion Pro locktite nuts to install when it comes time to do the valves.

Motion Pro Nut - Fuji-Lock 8mm/Head138mm 30-0308

gpd323 said:
How many exhaust bolts nuts are loose? I have a set of Motion Pro locktite nuts to install when it comes time to do the valves.

Motion Pro Nut - Fuji-Lock 8mm/Head138mm 30-0308

All of mine were tight. To bad they can’t make oil stay in them. One should not be bothered with this issue in today’s quality tolerence manufacturing.

Never had a Suzuki or Yamaha leak from the valve cover or a oring on a sensor.

Installed a passenger backrest from Advanced Sport Touring. Nice looking. My girl will like it.  I just bought a new (2016) C14 (finally replacing my 2004 FJR1300). We did a 6k tour on that FJR last year... I hated to replace it but I have to say, I've really been lusting after this C14 for a looooong time!  A new ('16) for $11k out the door !?!? I couldn't pass that up!!!

Next up: 2" risers, front fender extender, rear tire hugger (if I can find one! - I'm on the "group purchase": list), throttlemiester .... and I'm sure I'll think of more.

http://www.advancedsporttouring.com/Concours_Removable_Passenger_Backrest_p/c14-22.htm

Installed a set of the 2" handlebar risers today (also from Advanced Sport Touring). I accidentally ordered the Silver color (my bars are black) so I painted them a matte black finish that looks like a good match.  Some things I noticed during the install (on a 2016 C14) include: Left side wire bundle had a wire tie instead of the clamp (right side wire bundle has the clamp). Simply cut the wire tie. There is PLENTY of wire to feed up to give the slack needed to raise the bars the extra 2". Also, the "banjo" nut for the front brake didn't need re-positioned at all - it was pointed perfectly where it needed to be - I guess every bike assembly has a little bit of difference.  I was glad not to have to adjust it. Finally, the brackets that hold the hydraulic lines to the riser blocks have to be "flattened" a bit as there is a "L"  bend in the bottom of the brackets. I used vice grips to take the bend out (mostly) and the set screws did the rest. 

Unfortunately, it's too cold in Colorado Springs (20's) to get the bike out for a test ride but the "before" rides certainly convinced me this was a needed modification (for my comfort). As far as technical skill, I'd rate this job a 1 out of 5 job (1 being oil-change easy and 5 being very difficult). 

Next up: front fender extender (on order), rear tire hugger (I'm on the "group purchase" list), throttlemeister (also on order) .... and I'm sure I'll think of more.

https://www.advancedsporttouring.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C14-02

Removed the rear drive hub & pulled the driveshaft. Cleaned & inspected everything then lubed front/rear splines. With right at 195,000 miles on the clock I was really expecting some slop in the u-joints. They were nice & tight!  :) Splines & all looked great also.

Only the third time I'd done this & should be my last.

It was a beautiful winter day here in Western Washington :) sunny and 54° so I took her on a ride

Oh and just ordered the Skidmarx hugger fender and a front fender extension from Murph's. :motonoises:

ZXtasy said:
It was a beautiful winter day here in Western Washington :) sunny and 54° so I

Lucky!! Take off any sweet jumps?

Took it really easygoing, although it was sunny and warm the roads were wet and learned what in quickly what everyone dislikes about the stock Bridgestone's. No close calls they just felt really unsettled!!!

Nice day yesterday in SoCal, about 78-80 degrees.  Did a 370 mile ride.  Started in Orange County, rode to Pala Casino, continued past Lake Henshaw to Ocotillo Wells, Salton Sea, Palm Springs then back home.  The bike is a 2017, has about 4700 miles, did an oil/filter change today along with final drive oil. 

Grant said:
ZXtasy said:

Took it really easygoing, although it was sunny and warm the roads were wet and learned what in quickly what everyone dislikes about the stock Bridgestone's. No close calls they just felt really unsettled!!!

I’m not a fan of them, I’m pretty cautious on twisty highways with them.  Looking at a set of Roadsmart 3’s.

Lurch71 said:
Grant said:
ZXtasy said:

I’m not a fan of them, I’m pretty cautious on twisty highways with them.  Looking at a set of Roadsmart 3’s.

Yup me too...they are being recommend by most over anything else...

Egodriver71 said:
Still cold here in NEFL, but finally not wet and misty...

So, I'm riding!!!

Yeah buddy!!!!  :motonoises:

26 and clear in beautiful N. GA at the moment. Bah..

Gonna be nice here today (blue skys and about 60*), but getting bad tomorrow.. (rain/Sleet and some freezing temps)
  Unfortunately, I had cataract surgery last week and can't ride..
    (err, Eye feels good, so, I probably could, but my wife would kill me)

Ride safe, Ted

Changed engine / filter & drive gear oil Thursday. Friday left Orange County up Hwy 395 to Lone Pine and through Death Valley and Red Rock to Las Vegas & Hoover Dam. Sunday back home through Ortega Hwy. Perfect riding conditions 35 deg.F.-80 deg.F. 780 miles and seen a herd of Big Horn sheep!

first ride of the new year on Jan. 1st
9 degrees heading out to traditional club RTE. Warmed up nicely to 21 on the way home.
Back in the garage for now, got the new exhaust on, mounted Project D handy stick and oil cap.
Just finished adding new Mobil 1 oil, filter and final drive fluid.
Ready for warmer temps.

Getting the bike ready for the Sport Touring School in Feb...

Last night I pulled the front wheel for a new front tire.
Rear was done last week.

Decided to go to the Avon 3D XM's... {Per Cliff's suggestion}

Ride safe, Ted

Update: New front tire now on the bike...

Since it's raining here in Rochester, Wa.  I changed out the fork oil in my 2012.  Used a wood rasp to take down foam in the seat by at least a half inch.  Installed Soupys' lowering links. "Moly'd" the rear splines/cleaned wheel and swing arm.. Great garage time and not missing ride time! KJ

Installed my ECU which had been flashed by Steve (Mountain Runner Flash). Took the bike on on an approx. 200 mile ride here in the mountains near Colorado Springs & Canon City (this was yesterday - 65 degrees and full sun). I found the flash to be perfectly dialed-in... every gear and throttle combination I could find delivered perfect performance. I believe I averaged 42 mpg at a not too aggressive pace (I was riding two-up).

BTW - if there are Colorado Springs folks on this serve, reach out... Al

32 degrees this am...plugged in the battery tender...saw it was fully charged. Walked outside and saw thick frost still on the asphalt....debated...drove the Chevy to the Levee. :(

Decided to start some winter maintenance yesterday. First thing i did was pull my air filter. It wasnt as bad as I was expecting but it was time.
  Its all cleaned and ready to go back in (these K&Ns use sealing grease so im waiting for a tube to be delivered) and ill start my oil change and flush my brake/clutch fluids next.
While Im on the subject of air filters. I have seen guys talk about how hard this is and while its not as simple as the C10 its not as bad as some say.
  I had it out in less than 15 mins .