• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What is the longest you've ever kept a bike stock?? What bike and why?

zg

Hey folks, couple weeks n ~1k miles on the new Viffer, she's still in 100% stock form, which I think is a total first for me...  :eek:

All past bikes get at least a slip-on, shield, and rear fender eliminator by now, but for some reason I still haven't done anything to the Viffer?

Is it because in stock form it doesn't really have anything that screams I'm ugly please help me ASAP?  :??:

Is it because there isn't a plethora of aftermarket farkles available yet for this bike?  :??:

Anyways... curious to hear from others who have or had past bikes that they just kept stock, what kind of bike was it and why did you keep it stock?

:popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple:

:TPIWWP:

ConcoursKZ said:
My 08 is stock with 60,000 miles.

I'm guessing you're referring to a Connie right CKZ? Can you elaborate on the reasons why you deemed to keep it stock?

:popcorn:

I have always figured that given time my body would adjust to the seat and stance. And it did. I like the quiet stock exhaust. In the summer the stock windshield works well in hot weather. I am 6'2" so the height is pretty good. Now that I'm used to it it's very comfortable to ride. I can even tell if the tire pressure is down a couple pounds just by my foot placement. I've never owned the motorcycle with a windshield before and I like to keep things for a very long time. I don't like cruise control. My GPS is a TomTom that's attached with velcro. I have no problem driving 400 miles in a day. After 400 miles any bike is going to have some issues. The stock seed is pretty hard and I like that also. I also Drive 60000 miles a year or more in a car. I'm so used to my Ford Taurus that if it wears out I'll probably just buy another one. Prior to that I drove over seven hundred fifty thousand miles in a Z71 pickup truck. I wore three of them out .  A 99,  2003,  and a 2008 .  The 99 Z71 was the best driving vehicle I've ever owned. I don't think I've owned a pair of sunglasses in over 30 years. I guess what I'm saying is that my body will adapt to whatever I'm driving.

The two Hondas I've owned remained stock. 

1984 Honda V65 Magna, 18 years. 

2005 Honda 919, 6 years.

2 weeks, 2012 TW-200 (Wife's). Only kept it stock that long because she threatened me to leave it alone unlike all my heavily modified stuff. Had to cut the rear fender down so it would fit in the truck bed so we could haul them to Oregon, so she acquiesced.

My farkle budget on bikes is minimal. The Connie got canyon cages and risers before a 1000 miles was up but other bikes........
2005 Nomad- stock for 33000 miles
2006 Goldwing- stock for 36000
2003 BMW 1200C- stock for 24000
2005 BMW k1200LT-stock for 29000
1999 Valkyrie- stock for 28000

My farkle budget for several years was insurance and registration fees for multiple bikes

ZG said:
couple weeks n ~1k miles on the new Viffer, she's still in 100% stock form, which I think is a total first for me...  :eek:
Hmmm

Just because the UPS guy has not shown up yet doesn't mean you haven't already started to farkle this bike. :nananana:

Gumby said:
ZG said:
couple weeks n ~1k miles on the new Viffer, she's still in 100% stock form, which I think is a total first for me...  :eek:
Hmmm

Just because the UPS guy has not shown up yet doesn't mean you haven't already started to farkle this bike. :nananana:

Do the oem Honda side cases for this bike count as a farkle? I thought those would still be an extension of stock... ??  :??:

Pilgrim said:

2005 Honda 919, 6 years.

Mmmm... 919's are such a great value, if I ever decide to add a naked to the mix those would be on the list.  :great:

ConcoursKZ said:
I have always figured that given time my body would adjust to the seat and stance. And it did. I like the quiet stock exhaust. In the summer the stock windshield works well in hot weather. I am 6'2" so the height is pretty good. Now that I'm used to it it's very comfortable to ride. I can even tell if the tire pressure is down a couple pounds just by my foot placement. I've never owned the motorcycle with a windshield before and I like to keep things for a very long time. I don't like cruise control. My GPS is a TomTom that's attached with velcro. I have no problem driving 400 miles in a day. After 400 miles any bike is going to have some issues. The stock seed is pretty hard and I like that also. I also Drive 60000 miles a year or more in a car. I'm so used to my Ford Taurus that if it wears out I'll probably just buy another one. Prior to that I drove over seven hundred fifty thousand miles in a Z71 pickup truck. I wore three of them out .  A 99,  2003,  and a 2008 .  The 99 Z71 was the best driving vehicle I've ever owned. I don't think I've owned a pair of sunglasses in over 30 years. I guess what I'm saying is that my body will adapt to whatever I'm driving.

Rider size is a good point CKZ, many of the farkles on past bikes are because I'm small and have to tweak the ergo's a bit... This new Viffer is one of the smallest bikes I've had, probably a bigger rider would have to make some ergo changes to it.  :??:

1973 Norton Commando. Bought it new and was broke for two months, moved back into the barracks and ate in the chow hall. First farkle was Dunstall pipes. Last farkle, had Jerry Branch flow the head.

First New bike I bought was an 03 GSXR 600, kept it stock for maybe about 4 months cause it did all I needed and was very fun, then of course got used to the power and wanted more so dropped down a tooth on the front sprocket to pep it up a bit. About all I could really afford to do at the time....

I assume new tires don't count right?

My first bike was a 2010 Ninja 250R, and I never did anything to that bike.  I owned it for about 3 years, and the only thing I changed was adding a Kawasaki OEM rear seat cowl.  When I dropped it and scuffed up the fairings and exhaust (hey, it happens to the best of us), I put it all back together with authentic Kawasaki parts, including decals.

Man, I miss that little bike!  I really wish I hadn't sold it, and that I had room for it now.  What a fun little ripper that was.

In terms of why, well...  I mean, it was a 250.  What could I really do to it to make a noticeable difference in terms of power or handling?  Looks-wise, I thought about the fender eliminator, but it wasn't high on my priority list, and besides that, the second-generation (well, technically third, or maybe fourth, depending on how you count it, it's complicated) 250R bikes look really good as-is.  I wasn't a hot-shot rider, I was still pretty green, so track-ready suspension and brakes would have been overkill for my leisurely in-town riding style.

I went to a ZX-6R after that, but I put the fender kit on almost immediately.  Kept the stock turn signals, but with the 6R, I felt like I had to clean up the back end just a touch.  Other than that, though, I didn't do anything.  No Power Commander (I don't like them), no slip-on exhaust (honestly, all it does is make more noise, you won't notice two horsepower on a bike making 120), nothing else.

My '84 900, I did keep almost entirely stock also, save for one thing.  I got my hands on a period-correct Lockhart mid-fairing for it, fiberglass and straight from 1984.  Not only did it look really good, it also was said to marginally help the bike's overworked radiator -- something I was adamant about in Arizona.  Save for that, I kept it as completely stock as possible.  The point there was to experience the original Ninja exactly as it would have been in 1984.  I didn't want to ride something that looked like a Ninja but felt like a GSX-R, I wanted to ride THE Ninja.  No 4-into-1 exhausts, no re-jetted carbs, no digital instruments, just the pure, original Ninja, accept no substitutes.

I'm still very much enjoying my stock VFR.  :great:

So why the heck do I find myself trolling Arrow and Akra exhausts?  :??:  :truce:

I have 3 bikes that may qualify. First is my 1979 Triumph Bonneville Special, the 2 into 1 factory pipes were replaced by me with the '79 factory spec 2 into 2 pipes. Second with only a color change and new shocks in 1985 is my 1982 KZ550A bought new for $900 in 1983. Third is a bike we bought a few years ago, its a 1982 CB125S that totally factory stock including the tires.
a>

ZG said:

So why the heck do I find myself trolling Arrow and Akra exhausts?  :??:  :truce:
[/quote

Look at it this way ZG, no matter how much you try, you can never customize your spouse. You may be able to accessorize, but change her in the way a motorcycle can be a reflection of yourself- not gonna happen. It's good there are motorcycles for your creative outlet!  :motonoises:

I don't think I've ever owned a bike that was completely stock.

I've always bought bikes with features already added... you know, like bent forks, seized engines, burnt wiring...  :))

My '75 Z1B is stock looking. Some parts are pretty good repo's. Does that count? I kept it stock looking because there are not many around any more.

ZG said:

Because those V-4 engines sound amazing with a nice exhaust! :)  The bike looks super nice by the way.

As far as how long for me.....?  I think my first new street bike, out of the crate Yamaha Vision with the full fairing option...stayed stock only because I was completely broke after I bought it and had to immediately start saving for my next insurance premium.  I had the bike for about 2 years before I traded it and it was still stock.   

Nothing I own is stock for very long except the wife's commuter car, a 14' Ford Fusion Hybrid Energy. I wouldn't know what to do to it. I have 2 trucks, 2 MG's, a tractor, a riding mower and three motorcycles(2 running). None of them are stock, even the tractor. :)

+1 for the Connie...

my '09 Black GTR14 is the answer.  owned since 2011. 

Ive owned sportbikes for most of the 25yrs ive been a rider, and all of those bikes have ended up at trackdays or being raced, thus they needed either some mod to gain power, or loose weight...to enhance performance.

But my beloved Connie...I dont own it for that reason.  if i want to loose weight, i remove the bags and 'sportbike' it.  If i want more power, i turn my right wrist a little more.  I have had the yearning to add a slip on (maybe that gets me a few hps) but that's about it.  I love it just the way it is.    :great:

67 kawasaki c2tr: stock from new (not restored either)  i go this about 6 yrs ago:

(yes i do ride it occasionally this was a commute to work last month)

IMG-20161020-00086_zps4xc0xdik.jpg

i did have a 99sv i bought new, kept it stock for 11 years sans a slip-on the whole time. had about 40k on it. great bike.  the replacement, my ktm390 duke will likely stay stock as well.

the concourse as of now is stock. probably stay that way.

ZG said:
Hey folks, couple weeks n ~1k miles on the new Viffer, she's still in 100% stock form, which I think is a total first for me...  :eek:

All past bikes get at least a slip-on, shield, and rear fender eliminator by now, but for some reason I still haven't done anything to the Viffer?

Is it because in stock form it doesn't really have anything that screams I'm ugly please help me ASAP?  :??:

Is it because there isn't a plethora of aftermarket farkles available yet for this bike?  :??:

Anyways... curious to hear from others who have or had past bikes that they just kept stock, what kind of bike was it and why did you keep it stock?

:popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple:

53 days later and the Viffer is still in 100% stock form!  :eek:

I did just add a tank and tail bag, and an Airhawk for my first trip I'm taking it.  :great: :great:

We'll see how the stock ergo's treat me doing some distance miles this weekend...

My second bike was a Honda XL250. I bought it new in 1972 and kept it about 15 years. I don't recall buying anything for it but OEM parts that broke or wore out. My first road bike was a used 1980 Honda CX500C. I kept it about 9 months and did not cahynege a thing. It came with a sissy bar which I strapped a duffle bag and tent to and rode to visit my brother in Denver and camp out  at Rocky Mountain National Park. By the time I got home I realized the only solution to the CX's shortcoming for touring was a whole new bike. I traded it in for an 82 Honda V45 Sabre.

Attachments

• rockmoountainNPAugust1981.jpg
    rockmoountainNPAugust1981.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 95
  • JumpingAtTheLevee.jpg
    JumpingAtTheLevee.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 96

85 V65 VF1100S Sabre. Naked muscle bike. Very fast in it's day at 121 hp at crank. Still quick.
Brother bought it new in crate in '87
I got it from Mark in 2004
Still stock because it looks and rides fine for local riding. Caveat: radial s/t tires.

danodemotoman said:

85 V65 VF1100S Sabre. Naked muscle bike. Very fast in it's day at 121 hp at crank. Still quick.
Still stock because it looks and rides fine for local riding. Caveat: radial s/t tires.

Love your V65 Dan!  Just beautiful!  Maybe one day I'll have one dressed in Hondaline fairing and bags like they did on the CBX.

Diz said:
Those tank and seat bags look expandable. How do you like the Honda side cases ZG?

Yep expandable DZ, as for the Honda side cases they are the smallest side cases I've ever had on a bike, but I can fit my laptop which was the main purpose for year-round commuting, the fitment is real nice though and also the quick disconnect!  :great:

Bud, I do enjoy the V65 and sometimes just look at it.
What an engine. Smooth and torque.
I am kind 50/50 on the original hondaline fairing. Mostly think the naked look is best for this one.
Only 24k mi on it. Still a garage queen mostly. I ride it to events like the VME and VJMC local.

Bud said:
danodemotoman said:

Love your V65 Dan!  Just beautiful!  Maybe one day I'll have one dressed in Hondaline fairing and bags like they did on the CBX.

I love the sound of the Sabre Really got my attention  following one coming out of a corner long time ago Sweet bike Dan!

Odd shape for those side cases ZG. They look great on the Viffer but upon opening they certainly hinder the type of stuff you can carry. Surprises me a lap top fits- glad it works for you

First new bike was a Norton Commando. Lasted until the next payday before I changed the exhaust. About two weeks.

I have a 2015 Vulcan S 650.  I have added a windshield and saddlebags.  Everything else is pretty much stock.

I'm with you, regarding the vfr.  Stock exhaust sounds pretty good, and lots great.  It will also last forever.

The 121hp v65 aabre really does not tell the whole story.  I remember torque enough to physically hurt your arms.

I have never had a bike that was stock from the start, so I guess I don't count. LOL I have however owned a few that never changed while I owned them. I am looking at a new C-14 and if purchased will be the first new bike I have ever owned. I have had many new dirt bikes in my possession but they weren't mine they belong to the shop I was racing for.

Since I've had enough bikes, and I"m old enough to have "sometimers disease", it would have to be one of the following bikes:
84 Honda 500 Interceptor
85 Honda 700 Interceptor
85 Suzuki GS700ES
85 Suzuki GS1150ES

I can't remember how long I had each of these bikes, but I'm pretty sure none were owned for longer than a year.  Sure wish I still had that 1150. :-[ :-[  Bought the rolling chassis with less than 1k on the clock for 1200 and found a Canadian engine and exhaust for 1200.  Story on the rolling chassis was that the engine came out and went into a mini sprint car.
Just didn't see the need to change any of them is the reason they stayed stock.

My first car was a pos we found in a field rusting.  I learned to hate doing work on that car.  In fact I hated mechanic work for years after.  I had a couple Honda bikes in the 70s that I never did anything to. a CB 360 and a CB 650.  I added to them, like bolt on wind shields and tail racks but never change the bike from stock.  I don't even really remember changing oil but as cheap as I am I know I didn't let the dealer do it.

2000 ZX12R Ninja--- I have kept it because the power hits at 7500 rpm the way an old YZ250 2 stroke dirt bike used to in the 80's. I tell friends that when the needle sweeps past 7500 you see the face of God! ;D

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    299.9 KB · Views: 94
Throttle 8 said:
2000 ZX12R Ninja--- I have kept it because the power hits at 7500 rpm the way an old YZ250 2 stroke dirt bike used to in the 80's. I tell friends that when the needle sweeps past 7500 you see the face of God! ;D

Beauty!  :great:

Gumby said:
Pretty sure nothing this guy has is going to stay STOCK!

:)) :)) :))

Says the guy who spent more on his new truck than I have into all my bikes combined... but then still found ways to farkle the brand new truck!  ::)  :stupid:  ;D

:friends: