• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What is your preferred form of emergency tire inflation?

Weg3111

Training Wheels
I'm trying to decide what I want to carry for this and would like to know what others use and how it has worked out for them. I already have a plugging kit. I've been looking at the various options, co2, manual pumps and small electric pumps etc..

Weg3111 said:
I'm trying to decide what I want to carry for this and would like to know what others use and how it has worked out for them. I already have a plugging kit. I've been looking at the various options, co2, manual pumps and small electric pumps etc..

I don't know about the C-14 tires but if the C-10 tires are any  indicator both a manual pump (hand pump) and the CO2 cartridges are out. It took me over 8 CO2 cartridges to bring the pressure of my rear tire up to 30 PSI!.  I carry a skeletonized coleman 12V plug in pump.    http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/air-pump/

This is what most frugal Connie owners use.

Here is another site you can use to judge. http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/style/inflators-12-volt.php?source=bing&kw=12+voltutm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shop+by+style

I don't know which one off the top  my head, but I got me one of them slime mini 12v inflators. I still have the old bicycle pump mounted in the saddle bag, but got slimed for my birthday last year.

Dscn2239.jpg

Yeah, I was leaning towards portable electric. CO2 just sounded cheesy but wanted to hear someone say it. Never bothered to do anything about this with my 900 Classic LT because it had tubed tires, which is one of the reasons I moved up to the Concours.

Hmm, skeletonize your air pump. What'll they think of next.

The Slime pump works pretty good.  Oldest son got a huge nail in a brand new Sport Demon rear last year and it pumped it right up.  Has a cord that plugs into a battery tender cord that's connected to the battery terminals.

I normally carry a plug kit and a slime pump. I have an adapter cord to plug right into my Gerbings plug.

Any small 12 VDC inflater and a good plug kit are the way to go.  Before there were motorcycle specific devies I picked up a generic inflater kit at the wholesale club for under $20. It had one small pistol grip unit for with Schrader valves, and another to inflate things like pool floats and air mattresses. My tire inflater fits under the right cover of a C10 and sits on top of the rear shock adjust stuff.  The CyclePump is a good device, but it is a bit more money... http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-10-cyclepump.aspx

I carry a Slime air pump, and a stop n go tire plugger.  I have used this setup on two occassions and it worked great.  The Slime pump I can plug into my battery tender terminal for power.  It takes a little while to fill, but not as much time as pushing the bike  :eek:

I gotta say that a compressor is the only way to go.  As long as there is 12v nearby you have air.  The little CO2 bottles just don't cut it.  Especially when you need to top up. 

The trend for gas stations here is to charge 50 cents to use their air.

I have hand pump like shown and elect pump and some co2 cartridges.  All just because I have had failures on one or the other through the years.  All three take up about no space in the bag.  I also carry plugs, strings and patches.  Oh and a good credit card and a back up credit card  8)

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-30-cyclepump-adventure-combo-w-gauge.aspx

I have this.  It's expensive.  But I just FEEL it's more reliable than those plastic pumps.

I use the stop-n-go and ride the tire until it needs replacement.  Never a problem.  And I love the air pressure gauge that these guys sell, I use it when inflating normally.  It's got a little pressure release so it's not fill-check-release-check... 

Use the Wally World , Campbell Hausfeld air compressor purchased for $10 a few yrs ago. works fine and is smalll so did not feel the need to further skeltonize. Have a std 12v outlet on Connie left dash.
Was at HF today. 12v small case compressor for 7.99 on sale til the 27th?
For the little use it will have the econo models seen fine.
Plus carry the tar string inserts to temp patch.

I have this one http://www.slime.com/product/111/Power-Sport-Tire-Inflator-(%2340001).html
and it is small and works great, usually under $30.oo at auto parts stores, comes with connectors for the battery, same ones that are on the battery tender, start the bike up, connect it pump and get back on the road,
2009012717321925652_med.jpg

joe in calif said:
I have this one http://www.slime.com/product/111/Power-Sport-Tire-Inflator-(%2340001).html
and it is small and works great, usually under $30.oo at auto parts stores, comes with connectors for the battery, same ones that are on the battery tender, start the bike up, connect it pump and get back on the road,

Yeah, thats the one. The one I gots fer me birthday last year.

I have a 12 volt pump that I got off the clearance rack at WalMart for $5. I just plug it in the accessory plug on the c-14 and it works great. Just remember to plug the pump in and turn the bike on before attaching the pump to the tire. This keeps it from pulling to many amps at start up.

got a case-less http://www.slime.com/product_110_12_Volt_Air_Compressor_with_Gauge_%28COMP_02%29.html for ALL my pumpy needs.

So far, so good...but all my 12v units last only a couple yrs.

joe in calif said:

Bought this one yesterday! Thanks for the info! It now rides with my Cheapo Wally Remington rain gear in a bag.
It came wth slime in a bottle. Should I pull it out and add a plug setup instead or is the SLIME useful for puncture repair? I never have had to do road side repair.

I don't think I'd put that slime crap in a MC tar.  :-\
Here's my wish that you NEVER have to repair/plug your MC tar.
I did 3 repairs in one year.  :mad:

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a $7.00 12v pump. Removed the plastic cover and it is small enough to fit in a quart zip lock bag. I used to carry a can of pressured Slime for emergencies. Had an emergency tire repair on the C-14 and the Slime immediately killed the sensor. I called Slime because the can said "sensor safe." They said the sensor is fine, just remove the tire and wash the sensor with water.  I will never use Slime again.

ALLLLLLLL RIGHTY Then! I will save the slime for the riding mower and to a repair kit where the Slime once lived. Thanks for the input!  ;D

'Had an emergency tire repair on the C-14 and the Slime immediately killed the sensor.'

That's what I was afraid of.

The Slime Pump has served me for 3 years, and saved me 3 times. Small, light, but does take some time to fill.
My 08 C14 has a higher fuse rating for the accessory plug. For those with newer bikes, you will have to use something like a battery tender harness, or the fuse will blow using the accessory plug. 

c14addict said:
My 08 C14 has a higher fuse rating for the accessory plug. For those with newer bikes, you will have to use something like a battery tender harness, or the fuse will blow using the accessory plug.

Yep. A technical point that becomes really important at certain times. Best to have a connector strapped right to the battery for those special moments.

Well, I take a different approach and thus far it has worked well for well over 7 years.  I used to run "Ride On" in my tires, then I changed to "Ultra Seal".  You can find the stuff at Gempler's or order direct from the company.  How well does it work, well I rode on a 1/2" cut for over 3 weeks without a problem one.

I have never failed to make it to my destination because of a flat tire.  I just don't have flats, thus no need for inflation.  One less thing to carry.

tcars
John

c14addict said:
<snip>

I made up and adapter cable for my compressor and just plug right into my Gerbings cable. It (the Gerbings cable) is already direct to the battery and has a 15 Amp fuse. So I don't need the bike switched on to run the compressor.
It would work the same way with a battery tender wire. Just make sure it is large enough and fused to handle the compressor load.

S Smith said:
Any small 12 VDC inflater and a good plug kit are the way to go.  Before there were motorcycle specific devies I picked up a generic inflater kit at the wholesale club for under $20. It had one small pistol grip unit for with Schrader valves, and another to inflate things like pool floats and air mattresses. My tire inflater fits under the right cover of a C10 and sits on top of the rear shock adjust stuff.  The CyclePump is a good device, but it is a bit more money... http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-10-cyclepump.aspx

Since I consider my new C14 a sizeable investment, I went ahead and ordered the Cycle Pump. Yes it's pricey, but none of the reviews I read had anything negative to say about it other than the price. I personally justify the cost as "insurance".  ;)

I use a slime pump, rope plugs for easy repairs.  This for more drastic (popped bead) http://www.genuineinnovations.com/custom-valve-technology/valve-technologies/monster-air-chuck-1.html

Summed up the replies here and converted to a tech page.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/clubstatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=36212

Fred, yer new page sez it nicely. Well done.

Since it's fer newbs tho, ya mite wanna throw in something about the DIY case-less rigs. I use a piece of bent clothes hanger war to hang the contraption up. The pump's spinnin innards don't like touchin nothin.

Fred.. agreed with Paulie! Great write up and pics really put it in perspective.  ;)
(In my most not nitpicky tone ::) ) You may consider the line in "12v mini" for revision to "This, in most cases, has the highest initial cost......) for ease of readability. But in all a very well written piece. You may cover patch meathods. Plug-vs-slime and as I use dynabeads I must plug but even that will likely clump up my beads and cause a nearly immediate need to seek a proper permanent solution. Although I realize the focus is on INFLATION..

+1 on the Slime pump. I also use the self vulcanizing mushroom plugs to patch a hole on the road.  Just use a little cement and slide it in. They hold pretty well to get you "there". The slime pump is small and I carry all my stuff in a canvas zipper bag.