• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What next?!? Need advice and on a middleweight replacement for the C-10.

MichiGlenn

Last fall I posted for advice regarding a fair asking price for a well loved and well farkled 2001 C10. I got good advice, then a member made me the “offer I couldn’t refuse”, and in a few weeks the “blue moo” will be off to new pastures. Which leaves me deciding on a suitable replacement.
I mainly use my bike for commuting, which is why a top heavy touring bike was wasted on me. I’m thinking of something in the 650-750 range, lighter than the Connie yet still up for a comfortable extended ride. Not a cruiser. Not a crotch rocket. Just a standard, versatile bike.
Prior to the Connie I had a couple of Honda 750’s from the’70’s. I’d go back to one of those, but my wife might question my sanity.
Possibilities I’ve thought of are the Kawasaki Versys, Suzuki bandit 600-650, Honda Nighthawk 750, even a Triumph 900 legend.
I’m sure there are other models I’ve overlooked, so again I’m calling on the brain trust of COG for advice. What affordable commuter bike would you look at for under $3500 (used)?

You might find $3500 hard to get a good quality bike at. When the new models became scarce because of parts, the used vehicles went up in price.

I ride a BMW F800GT. If I hadn't found that, I might've bought a Connie...and then looked for something like this F800GT for when I got "old". Unfortunately, or fortunately, I found the F800GT and will probably keep it till I quit riding.

The F800GT weighs only 470lbs wet. Weight is carried down low. It looks like a sport bike, but its really a sport touring bike. I put about 15000 miles on mine each year crisscrossing the western USA and Canada. Reliability is excellent. It uses a belt drive, so there's no chain to lube. My first belt lasted me till 53,000 miles and now that you can get new belts from non-dealers, the cost is really cheap. Gas mileage is in the 50's. Maintenance is nil. I had the valves checked twice with no movement. The rest is normal upkeep like changing the oil, tires, brake pads.

The F800GT totally surprised me in the first months of ownership. It's light...but not affected by winds any more than a Goldwing. Handling is excellent; it'll make you feel like you're a far better rider than you really are. :D But it'll also cover miles on open roads with no issues at all and leave you feeling pretty fresh still after a long day.

Chris