• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wheelnerds and the new Motus MST

stewarth

Scooter
Was listening to the lastest episode of the Wheelnerds podcast and the new CEO (I think) of Motus mentioned the mighty Concours as a fine machine...for a split second.

The actual interview was pretty interesting and made me sit up and take notice. Doesn't mean I'll spend $30k on a bike though.

i went to their website and was trying to figure out the differences between the base and premium model. What i can gather is that for 6000 dollars more you could have 2 additional powerports and an upgraded rear suspension.....

Bill

It looks like the 6 grand also gets 20 extra hp.  165 vs 185. Plus, the "r" is added. Bikes always get better when an r is added to the name.

I have been watching this bike from the beginning, they were talking about building an American sport touring bike built for guy like me.  I think they missed something in their market research :mad:.  Sorry Motus but at 36,000?? Even if I could afford it I for one will not spend that much for a motorcycle.

For the 6K you get 20 hp more, ohlins front and back, and I do believe up-rated Brembo's............oh ya, and the all important "R" designation.

I agree, they missed the mark with a 35K+ price. I would have seriously considered buying one if it were in the mid 20K range...

Motor

Yet there obviously IS a market out there for people who think dropping thirty grand on a bike is a normal thing to do.  They're the same sort of folks who keep Jaguar and Ferrari shops open.  I think it's a pretty smart move from a business perspective since it positions the bike at the high end of the market and therefore ensures a limited production run the first year.  Once they've got the manufacturing process worked out, they'll release something in the $18k-$23k range. 

That next bike will essentially be what this one should have been.  Meanwhile the original flagship bike will get the upgrades.

I'm thinking they're a victim of good cost accounting and they're spreading the cost of the mfg over a small number of units to recover it all as they  go. While it's correct to do this, if they disregard the price point and I think $30-36K is too high, they may not  last long enough to lower the price point to BMW levels. Next year, you'll see components sourced offshore and assembled in Mexico and sold as Made in the America(s).  I had great hopes for them.

As with most small businesses, this one is undercapitalized and in the end, probably unsustainable. Victory was/is carried by a large parent company. And it could be that the business model is not to make profitable bikes, but it's designed to build a bike factory that can be sold to someone like, say Barber Motorsports.

Undercapitalized death is the same thing that happened to DeLorean, Bricklin, Tucker, et al.

You guys are obviously not the market for these bikes.

Would you spend 1.7mil for a car? I certainly wouldn't yet people do buy Bugatti Veyrons. And many people do buy cars that cost 80k and up. Its not a big market, and I am sure Motus is well aware of that, but they are gambling that it is there. And, for now at least, they are the only players in this game.

The problem is that we really have nothing to compare it to. I don't think comparing it to BMW is going to work. Think of cars that cost 80k up.

People are not always rational when it comes to things like this. Also you can't justify value for $ spent with the same rules for all levels.

What I deem is value when visiting a burger joint, is not the same when visiting a 5 Star restuarant.

As for Motus....I don't care about the $ as I'm not in the market or their target market. But I do like their philosphy and approach to dealer network. The challenge will be do they stay niche, or when they grow do they become like the rest.

WillyP said:
You guys are obviously not the market for these bikes.

Would you spend 1.7mil for a car? I certainly wouldn't yet people do buy Bugatti Veyrons. And many people do buy cars that cost 80k and up. Its not a big market, and I am sure Motus is well aware of that, but they are gambling that it is there. And, for now at least, they are the only players in this game.

The problem is that we really have nothing to compare it to. I don't think comparing it to BMW is going to work. Think of cars that cost 80k up.

I can't help but think that there are a lot more steering wheel folks with those kind of bucks than handlebar folks. Once the Jay Leno types add one of these to their giant garages full of exotic toys the market is going to get saturated real quick IMO.

Motorcyclists tend to be enthusiasts on working mans budgets (except the butt jewelry and poser crowd) and this bike (Motus) doesn't seem to be aimed at the latter.

Dan

True, and with bikes like the C-14, BMW and others for true riders, certainly we are not talking a big market. However, I don't think there has ever benn a bike quite like the Motus, so who knows? But just like there are people who will buy a Rolex, when there are great watches for a fraction of the price, and a $10 Timex provides the same function, I think there are people who are suficently appreciative of the unique qualities and hand production that sets this bike apart in a class of it's own. We are, after all, talking a production of less than 200 unit's per year...

Motus Founders said:
Given the low production volumes — the founders say that sales beyond 200 a year, perhaps up to 500, in the early going would be considered “wildly successful” — the prices are not out of line. Sure, there are competent sportbikes that sell for well under $20,000, but many well-trimmed touring machines edge up into this territory. And both Motus models are fitted with premium equipment throughout: Ohlins suspension components, Brembo brakes, Michelin tires and Sargent seats, among other goodies.
... Motus Motorcycles: Desirable Machines With Dear Prices - NYTimes.com

ChipDoc said:
Yet there obviously IS a market out there for people who think dropping thirty grand on a bike is a normal thing to do.  They're the same sort of folks who keep Jaguar and Ferrari shops open.  I think it's a pretty smart move from a business perspective since it positions the bike at the high end of the market and therefore ensures a limited production run the first year.  Once they've got the manufacturing process worked out, they'll release something in the $18k-$23k range. 

That next bike will essentially be what this one should have been.  Meanwhile the original flagship bike will get the upgrades.
That's what I always though about Confederate Motors. I believe it's Brian Conn who came from Confederate to build the Motus. This bike will always live in the 35K+ range, no cheaper. Sad because they have a great (in my opinion) product with a very unique marketing angle..

Motor

If you run through the YouTube videos and read the articles on the MOTUS effort, it is clear that they intended to build a niche bike in limited numbers.  As expensive as BMWs are to those of us who have chosen to ride Concours because we just don't believe there is that much more value in the BMW for the price differential....well...the MOTUS was indeed NEVER intended to be marketed to us.  BMW gets mentioned a lot as a realistic and achievable price point target for MOTUS.  MOTUS perceives BMW as a mass market bike and they dont intend to compete at that price point.  Think of MOTUS as a low volume custom bike manufacturer.  They may change their tune in the future and produce a bike in a lower price range if they build a reputation and survive long term.

Personally, I think they should offer that wicked sweet hot rod V-4 to anyone who wants one to put on a custom bike of their own design.  Kind of like S&S does with the V-twin.

Sirius Scratch said:
If you run through the YouTube videos and read the articles on the MOTUS effort, it is clear that they intended to build a niche bike in limited numbers.  As expensive as BMWs are to those of us who have chosen to ride Concours because we just don't believe there is that much more value in the BMW for the price differential....well...the MOTUS was indeed NEVER intended to be marketed to us.  BMW gets mentioned a lot as a realistic and achievable price point target for MOTUS.  MOTUS perceives BMW as a mass market bike and they dont intend to compete at that price point.  Think of MOTUS as a low volume custom bike manufacturer.  They may change their tune in the future and produce a bike in a lower price range if they build a reputation and survive long term.

Personally, I think they should offer that wicked sweet hot rod V-4 to anyone who wants one to put on a custom bike of their own design.  Kind of like S&S does with the V-twin.

They do indicate the intention of offering the engine as a "crate engine" for others to use. Wouldn't interest me, I don't do push rods or two valve heads anymore.

Dan

A beautiful machine and it's nice to see that American ingenuity is alive and well.

However, at that price point, there is no way on earth I'd buy one of these when for that much money I could buy a C14, an Interceptor and a KLR and still have money left over for plenty of farkles.

voileauciel said:
A beautiful machine and it's nice to see that American ingenuity is alive and well.

However, at that price point, there is no way on earth I'd buy one of these when for that much money I could buy a C14, an Interceptor and a KLR and still have money left over for plenty of farkles.

Ah the Interceptor!  A well sorted V-4 itself.  Keeping my old C-10, I'd be happy to just add one of those to the collection.  I've seen low milers with panniers and farkles out here in the $6K range.  Hmmmm.