• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

When applying brakes (abs) it feels like we have loose front forks !

JJPSUPERDAD

Training Wheels
When applying brakes (abs) it feels like we have loose front forks ! Then I keep trying and it goes away ?
I am asking all to see if this is common with ABS , My first ABS bike !

Has anyone else have this feel in the bike ?

Also I get a pop in the exhaust when I let go of the gas sometimes. We have only 314 miles on the bike. :'(

First off, what year model bike is it?

Second, can you give a better description of what you mean by "loose front forks"?

jjpsuperdad said:
When applying brakes (abs) it feels like we have loose front forks ! Then I keep trying and it goes away ?

I'll bet this is related to this:  http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,20700.msg76424.html#msg76424

.....or this: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,29003.msg125385.html#msg125385

Worth reading for the knowledge even if it turns out that it isn't what your problem is.

Just about anything loose on the front end could cause this sensation.  I get it, too, on occassion and I think it's just steering head and front wheel bearing accumulated play.  I've never initiated the ABS function but I have braked pretty hard.  The sensation is most noticable when the front end kinda unloads after the stop.

Since I can't feel it by rocking the front end with the brake locked, I ain't worried about it yet. :017:

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
First off, what year model bike is it?

Second, can you give a better description of what you mean by "loose front forks"?

It feels like a thud in the handle bars, as if you hit a small dip in the road but when the brakes are applied.

Does it happen when you use front brakes only? If not, then it is the normal operation of Kaw ABS.

I concur with Fred, check your head bearings (Supposed to be done at the 600 mile service),  mine did something similar until I torqued them properly.

Keep in mind that the KACT linked brake system will take some "Getting used to"  as you can feel the linking quite noticeably....

has this issue been documented in 2010's?

I also notice a "bump" in the front end periodically while braking.

What is the torque spec for this bolt? I'll check mine this weekend.

The head bearings get torqued to 17 ft-lbs as long as you didn't loosen them up enough for them to move.  If that happened then you need to go to 40 ft lbs and then back it down and then torque to 17

The procedure is in the Kawa Factory Service Manual, 

I think yu are feeling the linked brakes, they have a quirky feel when slowing to a stop.
It can feel like something is loose or moving around up front.

My 2010 felt that way too.  This morning, I tightened the head bearings, and now that feeling is gone.  If yours is feeling clunky up front when you hit a bump just right, or when you grab the brakes at just the right speed, check the tightness of the head bearings.  Mine didn't need much, but it did need it.  I should roll over 20K miles this weekend too.  :motonoises: