• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

When to replace fork seals?

kzz1king

About 14k on new seals. One has been lightly weeping for a bit. Just enough that dust will accumulate. Doesnt leak when sitting still. I just tried cleaning it with a diy sealmate. Grab the fork and compress it 10 times or so and I can see a very small bit of oil. Not sure whats normal.
Oh yeah, I am fulling forks for a flush and dump.
Wayne

About 14k on new seals. One has been lightly weeping for a bit. Just enough that dust will accumulate. Doesnt leak when sitting still. I just tried cleaning it with a diy sealmate. Grab the fork and compress it 10 times or so and I can see a very small bit of oil. Not sure whats normal.
Oh yeah, I am fulling forks for a flush and dump.
Wayne
I know. I got a little better then 65 k out of the originals. Gonna try the sealmate out first.

Any scratches or nicks on the fork tube?

If there’s oil that can be seen pumping the forks after the seal mate or seal Dr then it’s no good - replacement only choice.

Any scratches or nicks on the fork tube?

If there’s oil that can be seen pumping the forks after the seal mate or seal Dr then it’s no good - replacement only choice.
I ordered seals,tools and a seal doctor. I am going to try the seal doctor but am pretty sure I will replace seals anyway. Another task I have never done before.

There are some good videos online that will walk you through the process. Be careful with the fork tube bolts. The heads can strip out relay easy. I replaced them all with quality cap head bolts.

Hi CMoore, do you have a part number for the bolts? Getting ready to do my suspension this winter and like your idea. I've stripped/broke some fork bolts on a couple of dirt bikes and it wasn't fun.

There are some good videos online that will walk you through the process. Be careful with the fork tube bolts. The heads can strip out relay easy. I replaced them all with quality cap head bolts.
For sure. I had my forks off before. One bolt scared me! I went to the hardware store and found cap heads so I should be good.

Hi CMoore, do you have a part number for the bolts? Getting ready to do my suspension this winter and like your idea. I've stripped/broke some fork bolts on a couple of dirt bikes and it wasn't fun.
I went down to Home Depot and found the ones I needed. I stripped the upper right bolt (facing bike) and had to drill/easy out the damn thing. My several hour project turned into a several day project but it all worked out in the end.

It is not just mileage that affects fork seals. A bike that is stored for a lengthy time can have the seal edges harden up and crack from exposure and lack of use. I bought my 09 this spring with 9K on it as it was stored for for 8 years. The seals started to leak within 500 miles and I replaced them along with a fork oil change. I took to heart the suggestions of fellow GOGers and picked up OEM parts for the work along with the kit from Traxion Dynamics. Everything went as smooth as the process demonstrated by Fred Harmon in his excellent video series. I made sure to use the Kawasaki Maintenance Manual as my guide per Fred's suggestions. Take your time and the results will be well worth it.

It is not just mileage that affects fork seals. A bike that is stored for a lengthy time can have the seal edges harden up and crack from exposure and lack of use. I bought my 09 this spring with 9K on it as it was stored for for 8 years. The seals started to leak within 500 miles and I replaced them along with a fork oil change. I took to heart the suggestions of fellow GOGers and picked up OEM parts for the work along with the kit from Traxion Dynamics. Everything went as smooth as the process demonstrated by Fred Harmon in his excellent video series. I made sure to use the Kawasaki Maintenance Manual as my guide per Fred's suggestions. Take your time and the results will be well worth it.
These were only 2 years old, KYB's. It may be just some grit but it isnt much more work or cost just to replace them . I have already had them revalved and resprung. Quite an improvement. Have Freds videos and have watched a couple others online. Thanks!