• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Which carb/injection sync tool

c14painkiller

Training Wheels
Just wondering from those who do their own syncs what tool they use. ie; dial gauges, bar gauges or the electronic type. The make and simplicity of use would be appreciated.

The throttlebodies have sync "screws" but they are locktited from the factory, I believe. At least, such is the case with the ZX14.

So there is nothing you should mess with there. Heh.

Actually, you should do a throttle body sync anytime you do any work on the bike that impacts airflow, like a valve adjustment. Or if you notice a lot of vibration from the bike or it doesn't want to idle well.

I used to use the cheap Motion Pro mercury stix, but got tired of dealing with the mercury, so now I use the Morgan Tune device and I'm real happy with it.
http://www.carbtune.com/

The hardest part of doing the throttle body sync on the C14 is getting to the center balance adjustment screw. You'll need a mirror and flashlight just to see it. It's really buried and hard to access. You'll also need a right angle screwdriver to reach the idle air bleed screws. I don't remember seeing any locktite on any of the screws.

large.jpg

Here are a couple more pics.

Idle Air bleed screw
large.jpg

Motion Pro right angle screwdriver, with modified tip.
large.jpg

Thanks for all the input.

Thanks Fred for the info and pics, was just going over your video and re-reading the sevice manual. The Carbtune seems to be a favourite and I will see if I can get my local englishman to source it for me.

:beerchug:

I have used a Carbmate electronic synchronizer with great success on a variety of bikes, including my previous Concours, a 2000.  When I bought it used, I adjusted the valves and synchronized the carbs, and it made a big difference.  I have synchronized the carbs on at least a dozen other bikes, some my own, and some for friends.  Most were way off, and they all ran better afterwords.

The owners manual for my 2011 Concours 14 list carb synchronizing as required maintenance, and my factory service manual has information on the adjustment points.  Even if you have fuel injection, the throttle bodies need adjusting to balance the cylinders.

In agreement with Fred, I will wait for my first valve adjustment to sync the carbs, unless I decide to install a dual exhaust system.  I would definitely re-sync if I did that, because of the potential to change the airflows.

Hmmm...  This is my second injected bike and I've never heard of syncing the TB's in it.  I never did it with my CBR.

Superdave said:
..... I will wait for my first valve adjustment to sync the carbs, ....

a word to the wise, when the valve cover and all the other crap is removed, take that time to pre-install lengths of rubber tubing to all the ports on the body, route them out to the left side of the airbox, number and plug them before reassembling the top end...... mucho easy for the life of the bike, to get to them for synch whenever desired.