• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

which seat do you like and why?

redline

I'm trying to decide which seat to buy. Looked at Sargents and Russel etc.
Wondering who likes what seat and why to help me make up my mind.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

I like Corbin and have one on both my bikes. Some say they are hard, and they are, but they spread the contact area out on my back side and I can and do ride all day on it. I also like that they use leather instead of synthetics.

Corbin, ten years now, is happy.

Attachments

• 03092014bike 016.jpg
    03092014bike 016.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 86
Russell Day Long for my 2012. 116,000 miles and always comfortable.
This is my 4th Russell and I have never been disappointed.
2007 BMW K1200GT
2008 Suzuki B-King
2013 & 2015 Honda F6B
Everyone of these bikes saw several 1000 mile days.

Attachments

• DSCF0710.JPG
    DSCF0710.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3630.jpg
    IMG_3630.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 97
Had a Saddleman seat on my 09 Connie. Did not suit my riding comfort. I went to a stock ZX14R seat. With that being said, the Saddleman is like new and for sale if your interested...Sean

Sean, I might be interested....send me some pics plz to 630 267 7996...and tell me what were the problems with it

I decided on a Corbin last summer and love it. There was concern over firmness when I first bolted it on, which went away once riding. The shape keeps me in place and I have had a few 400+ mile days without any backside pain. It looks absolutely awesome too.4C20A15D-C0CB-4DAE-83EC-CE169B4B7C53.jpeg

Russell Day Long for my 2012. 116,000 miles and always comfortable.
This is my 4th Russell and I have never been disappointed.
2007 BMW K1200GT
2008 Suzuki B-King
2013 & 2015 Honda F6B
Everyone of these bikes saw several 1000 mile days.
russell has he day long and the sport edition. is the one you have the day long as you mentioned and if so, how does it feel in the twisties? I'm not dragging my knees but do ride pretty aggressively in the twisties. So with other words i slide a bit off the bike when I hit the twisties.

russell has he day long and the sport edition. is the one you have the day long as you mentioned and if so, how does it feel in the twisties? I'm not dragging my knees but do ride pretty aggressively in the twisties. So with other words i slide a bit off the bike when I hit the twisties.
I have the Day-Long on my 2012 C-14 and it feels fine on curves but holds you "in the bucket" so hanging off would be difficult. I had a Russell Sport on the B-King and it was still very comfortable but allowed more movement and was lower than the day-long. If I get a seat built for my 2017 I am going to order a Russell Sport.

Sorry for the delay response Konehead. Regarding the problems with the Saddleman Seat, it did not fit my body frame would be the best answer. The seat appears to be very high quality and is like new. I will try and send you a few photos if interested...Sean

I had stock, Corbin and a Russell day long saddles on my C10. My C14 came with a Sargent.

For me, the stock saddles are good for an hour or two. Sargents/Corbins are good for 2-3 hours. But that Russell is truly a "Day Long" saddle. Gonna buy one this winter and ditch the Sargent. They're not cheap and they look a little frumpy, but I cant see it when my fat butt is on it.

I've had a Rich's custom for several years and liked it but decided to go with a Corbin two piece with airhawk and think it's an improvement over the Rich's. I've been tempted to go with a Russel sport but need to spend my money on a suspension refresh this year so the Russel will have to wait till next season to kiss my butt. I think anything is an improvement over the stock seat.

I also am weary of my stock seat and am considering a Laam seat has any of ya'll sampled one?
On my 2nd Laam.

Lost the first one while I was in a Coma and they towed my bike away. Got a Baldwin on the new bike and never got fully comfortable on it but still ride it occassionally. Replaced it after about 20K miles with a new Laam. got about 80 K miles on that one now and trade back and forth on the 2013 and the 2018 with the Baldwin.

As I go back and forth I find I prefer the Laam for longer rides and touring. Room to stretch out and really comfy. The Baldwin is a bit tighter and while comfy, I sue it in the twisties and when I want to be up into the tank and control the bike Both are fine. If I had to have one it would be the Laam with no reservations.

Happy with my Sargent World Sport Performance, Low seat and ridden with it for about 40K miles now. Have had the stock of course, and tried others, but the Sarge seems to fit my butt the best. It is firm to be sure and that may be why it is better for me on longer stretches.

Think about it- if you found the perfect seat for your Connie, you might never go home and that would introduce all manner of other problems that would be a huge PITA to deal with...

Gilbysan, aka - Fat Ninja

I should add that Laam is quickly getting a rep for being unreachable. Can be the best seat in the world. If you can't get your hands on it ....it ain't gonna work

Reactions: Bud
I'm pretty sure he didn't. Since Dave is retired now and has lots of time, he should take a trip and retrieve his seat. I don't think I could be as patient. I also don't know how Laam could do this to Dave. I'd like to hear how he justifies his behavior.

Can anyone tell me which seat this might be? Thanks

ETA.... Guy said it's a Laam.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230125_215710_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230125_215710_Facebook.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Well......ZXtasy has a point. Ride the stock seat until you know you might want something different....or that you don't. At that point, if you want something else, you will have a good idea of where you want more comfort to guide you for a different seat.

Seats....lol the other thread (oil) that's rather subjective...

Here's my seat journey..

When I bought my 2010 used it came with a Sargent low. After 50 miles it was toast. Too hard, like being on a 2x6.

So I went to a 2008 gel saddle and although it was better than the plank it just didn't work.

So onto seat #3 ...a corbin 2 piece . Looked great and lowered my seting position as well. Great for a full tank ride, but after that not so. For 250+ miles rides it needed help. So for long distance rides I added an air hawk. Just a couple puffs and all was better.

So I thought I'd try a stock seat from a 2016 2017. It was reported that the foam density was changed to make it more comfortable. It was OK, not great so I waited and lived with the Corbin/air hawk for long rides and stock for around the area rides.

Then a russell day long came up rather cheap. With heat! Unfortunately for me it sloped so badly forward the boys weren't happy after 30 seconds and I returned home to swap it out.

So #6, a kawasaki touring seat went on and WOW!!! a keeper!! great for around town, and I've used it for a couple national rally trips of over 500 miles to get there. Butt (pun intended) i.willing to keep searching for ld and all around comfort.

I'm currently waiting on seat #7, a saddleman that I'm interested in seeing how well it tours. I still have the rdl that I had been thinking of sending in for a rebuild to my body size, if the saddleman doesn't pan out. The others have all found new homes with other cog members. My current seat is still the Kawasaki touring seat...

Handlebars (because they dictate riding position) make a big difference on seat comfort.
My 2012 with RDL and Heli bars is a 12 hour saddle.
My 2017 with stock seat and stock bars is ok for a couple of hours but put the RDL on the 2017 and it starts to feel bad in 30 minutes. Same seat that was great with the heli-bars but different riding position.
When I put the stock 2017 seat on the 2012 with Heli-bars, I also start feeling pressure points after about a half hour.

My point is there is no substitute for having a seat custom built to account for your height, weight, reach, knee bend, etc. That is why RDL wants this information and pictures of you on your bike. Before I found RDL, I used to play seat roulette, and start a seat collection for every new bike. Now I just go straight to Russell.

I have paused on investing into a seat and my wife and I use AirHawk air seat cushions, PN: FA-AH2MED. These little guys are amazing and make a 500+ mile days a breeze on our backsides, necks and spines.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I've tried several...OEM, OEM touring, etc.

My LE conversion project came with a Corbin. It's by far the best on the bike to date.

The Corbin on my Valkyrie Interstate was evidently fashioned by St. Torquemada but I do like the looks. It's tolerable for shorter rides.

YMMV. Mine sucks due to too much throttle.

The Corbin on my Valkyrie Interstate was evidently fashioned by St. Torquemada but I do like the looks. It's tolerable for shorter rides.
Recently riding a machine with a Corbin and no Airhawk - I’ll take my stock C-14 seat and Airhawk any day of the week. My rump is still flat-spotted.

Wayne

Seats....lol the other thread (oil) that's rather subjective...

So #6, a kawasaki touring seat went on and WOW!!! a keeper!! great for around town, and I've used it for a couple national rally trips of over 500 miles to get there. Butt (pun intended) i.willing to keep searching for ld and all around comfort.
I've got a kawa touring on mine -- I'm 270#=/- so my seats get a work out and this one isn't quite there... good for one tank, but then I need a break -- haven't managed to do a full day yet... I had Rocky Meyer's on my cruisers (different bikes of course, but many 1000 mile days and had close to 100K miles on both of them...) Am thinking about a RDL -- don't need the sport (am in my mid-70s, so I'm looking for the bucket model -- Lazy-Boy style).