• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

which tire to get? michelen pr4 gt or pr 5gts?

themadchef

hello all! i know this has been braught up many times! i have a 2018 c14, just got it last year and i got 9k miles and i need to change my tires! i know which brand i want, i just like to know the difference of these tires? i know the pr5 gt are available! but is it worth getting them?

michelen pr4 gt or pr5 gt?

what are the differences?
anyone have the pr5 gts? and what are your thaughts?
Is it worth paying the difference?

toatal milage on pr4 gt or pr5 gt?

thanks for any help, themadchef!

I'm decidedly agnostic on brand, but am looking for a tire that is at the touring end of the spectrum (as versus the sport), while still allowing a modicum of cornering...

I don't mind the aspersions to the chicken stripe as i fully intended to actually log long-pavement miles as versus chasing accomplished canyon-carvers, but haven't yet seen anyone much getting more than about 8-9K out of, say, pr5gts or rs3s, which means that I'd have to have a tire change set up for a four-corner ride, or similar...

Other than occasional blasts to cycle the adrenaline production, I do ride rather conservatively so that may help -- but I'm not confident enough I know what tire's might fill the bill for my purposes...

What do you long-pavement (IBA?) guys actually use?

I'm also agnostic on brand like dcstrng.  I look for which tire will get me the best bang for the buck.  The differences in performance of any of the top name brand tires is becoming minuscule IMHO.

The Road 5GT lists for $246.  The Dunlop Roadsmart III tire currently has a rebate offer that can bring the price down to $157.  (Make sure you meet the rebate criteria.) 

Is the Michelin tire worth another $90?  And that's just for the rear tire.  You still have the front to buy.

I think the price difference is due to supply and demand...not performance.

Chris

Tires are very subjective but I'll share my experience with Pilot Road 4GTs.  I replaced the stock Battle"craps" at around 8k.  The were badly cupped and to be honest I never felt comfortable on those tires.  I just didn't know how planted the bike could feel.  When I rode out of the dealership on the Pilot 4GTs, she was a completely different bike.  She just went wherever you pointed her and inspired incredible confidence.  I am now about ready to replace those 4's with 5's.  I've ridden Deals Gap, taken the MSF Circuit Rider Course and Advanced Rider Course, and Lee Parks' Total control on those tires and they were always more capable than me...even at the end of their life.  I can't wait to get new tires on her.  Yes they are expensive but they last, have great wet weather traction, and grip for days!

I have used the Michelin road 4s several times! On other bikes.  They are great in my opinion.  I have not tried the pr5s yet.

viffer_pilot said:
I am now about ready to replace those 4's with 5's...  Yes they are expensive but they last, have great wet weather traction, and grip for days!

Thanks, that is information I can use -- and any marginal expense is pretty much a non-issue if the bike gains some usable mileage... my most recent experience is out of the cruiser/touring milue where I routinely got 15K plus out of the rears, and in the upper 20s for fronts, so the notion of replacing tires at less than half those distance makes me gasp... oh well...

Have not tried 5’s, however, PR4GT’s 2-UP riding 25*F - 90*F will stick and handle all you can throw at them:
-All day comfort, rather soft
-Ponded roads / heavy rain
-Any high speed C14 can develop
-Twisties / any and all mountain riding
-Rapid acceleration / Emergency braking
-Turn-ins, exits are great, fast response
-Tar snakes
-Rough roads / debris has produced no damage
-Winds

Only compromises: (Coarse surface, 2-UP weight, too much warp drive also contributors)
1) Wear quickly i.e 2-UP 6,000 miles rear wear bars showing center of soft compound
2) Will get to 6,000 miles quickly - too much inspiring fun  :great:

I will continue to purchase and enjoy them with full confidence.

Before jumping out to the Smokey Mountains I decided to replace my 6K worn out PR4GT with set of Road 5 GT.

After +2,000 miles sport mountain riding and 500 highway miles here are my thoughts: (Note: All miles were 2-Up, Fully Loaded with all week’s gear in side-bags and top-case - total weight load: 430#.)

Rear R5GT:
- Wearing faster mid radius than 4GT, 3/4 to wear bars already 🤨
- Has awesome contact patch for deep cornering and sticks great
- Feathering is creating a mild tread block feeling at low speed

Front R5GT:
Very nice - sticks like glue and wear is slow.

Overall R5GT:
Confidence inspiring grip, smooth turn in, rear wearing quicker than expected. Rain / Wet road traction was just as good as PR4GT. Roads in mountains are generally coarse and a contributing wear factor along with weight load and spirited riding. I am planning to run another rear this year.