• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Who's Interested in MSF Modules @ 2011 National Rally

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
I have access to and can conduct most of the MSF Safety programs.  Check them out and let me know if there is interest to run one or more of these as an evening seminar at the 2011 National.

Seems to me the 'Share the Adventure' course would be perfect for this venue.  I don't think I'm qualified yet to express an opinion on the 'Seasoned Rider' course. >:D

I personally attended an MSF Experienced Ridercourse (ERC) course in Tomah at the end of the National Rally.  It was conducted by ABATE of WI on the Saturday after the rally. The timing for the ERC was perfect after riding around SE WI for the week.

It was held at the State Patrol facility on Fort McCoy.  There were 11 of us and had a great time.  My pillion and I learned good stuff about riding.  We rode over 'tar snakes', in the box, panic swerves, and neat stuff. 

I second the idea of some type of MSF available at National.

Matt

I would love to do the new MSF course Group Riding (not that I don't do it already, just want MSF's take on it) and Total Control would really rock.

I did Experienced Rider late last year.

Share the Adventure would be a good topic.  Might also be a good idea to offer the Seasoned Rider topic (there, I said it, so the rest of you wouldn't have to... O:) )

I have no MSF courses under my belt, and the ERC is of significant interest to me. My wife earned her license through the MSF BRC and I want to improve my riding skills to better enjoy what the Connie is capeable of.  Any skills building course would be of interest to me.

Just to clarify...  the type of MSF modules I may offer at the national are not riding type courses. They are seminar like workshops.  I could not locate any riding type MSF courses close to the rally location.  If anyone know of any or would like to coordinate something, please let me know.

For members close to Connecticut, we try to organize an ERC for COG members in the spring at the community college in Waterbury, CT... Ping me or Norm Walton direct if you are interested in this.

BBroj said:
I have no MSF courses under my belt, and the ERC is of significant interest to me. My wife earned her license through the MSF BRC and I want to improve my riding skills to better enjoy what the Connie is capeable of.  Any skills building course would be of interest to me.

There will be an ERC class this spring at the location Steve described. We try to fill the class with COG members. Shoot me an email at ctaad at live.com and I'll be sure to add you to the list when the date is set. I've taken the ERC twice in the part 6 years and the wife took it last year, she also took the BRC to get her license.

There are several locations nearer to me than CT that offer MSF courses. I would enjoy taking the course with other Connie riders, but the proximity to home may be an issue. I hope to have both of my children in the BRC this Spring as well, if we can do it all at one venue at the same time, that would be ideal. I will stay tuned here for dates and costs for the ERC in CT. Thanks.

Steve this is a capital idea. 

I have yet to attend a nation, yeah I know excuses are like ........, still I believe a MSF session or even setting up a sort of Connie rodeo based on MSF course excercises for time or cleanest execution would be a worth while event at the National.

Just my $0.02

We are schedule to run the MSF Street Smart - Rider Perception program on Tuesday @ 4pm. The location will be announced at the rally.

This program is designed to help riders improve perception. It uses fun, highly interactive individual and group activities, and stresses the ‘Search and Evaluate’ parts of the overall Search-Evaluate-Execute (SEE) strategy used in MSF courses.  We'll see how perception plays an important role, work on improving perception, have an opportunity to analysis common collision traps, and get some practice identifying road sign and collision traps. We'll have fun with the Vision Challenge where riders can check their perceptual field related to peripheral vision, useful field of view, and focus vision. and learn ways to improve it.

Are you using a machine or something to do this? Please explain a little further. I'm pretty dense sometimes! It sounds like one of the patented Steve smith computer classes!  :)

Cap'n Bob said:
Are you using a machine or something to do this? Please explain a little further. I'm pretty dense sometimes! It sounds like one of the patented Steve smith computer classes!  :)

No machine...  Street Smart is a non-riding seminar that uses Powerpoint to present information and many interactive slides.  It is the newest of a series of learning modules MSF has produced.  I may also bring a pair of Fatal Vision goggles that simulate 0.08-0.10 alcohol impairment. They are always good for the entertainment factor. 

I would be, could always improve or hone a skill or twelve. I have been watching the ride like a pro...very good stuff too..JMHO

The 2011 rally is past.  I ran the complete STREET SMART module at the rally...  I am interested in feedback from those that attended the seminar. (to help future presentation I may be giving during winter)

Ranger Jim said:
I thought it was great!  Time very well spent and I learned a few things to boot.

+1! If Jim learned a few things, just think about me! Thanks, Steve.

Eddie