• Forum Subscribers and COG Members, please be aware of policy changes put into effect due to action of the COG board of directors based on input from members. The new membership system makes it possible to implement these changes.

Forum Subscribers – Forum Subscribers get a six-month limited feature trial forum membership. Forum Subscribers Read the Details Here.

Members – Your full forum access is only in effect while your membership status is active. Members Read the Details Here

• FORUM NAME - If you are a COG Member and your user name does not match your name in the old forum or you just want a new one, you can now change it on your own. Read the Details Here

• *READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * If you are a current COG Member or Forum Subscriber and this is your first visit to our new site and forum, please go to www.concour.org and follow the instructions at the top of the page to activate your account and gain access to your site and forum.
  • READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Why some bikers don't wave back

gsun

Why Riders Don’t Wave Back?

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don’t Wave

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don’t Wave

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature, and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why Sport Bike Riders Don’t Wave

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don’t Wave

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, and talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!
4. Wires from Gerbings are too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

ZXtasy

Oooh, you left out Scooter riders, trike/3 wheeled riders, and any overpriced Italian machine riders.

MAN OF BLUES

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

or, maybe they are busy gibber-jabbering and filming riding on their Grom, or mini bike... about waving...

https://youtu.be/s-9UJdYqOuQ

because we all care about being waved to... it hurts when people don;t "notice us"...  :'( :'( :'( :'( :rotflmao:

santacruzrider

I know this is probably heresy and will get me banned and shat upon, but how about crowd sourcing:

Top Ten Reasons Why Concours Riders Don’t Wave

10. Forgot to pin his bags and was too busy using his free hand to hold them on.
9. Was going to wave, but then sensed you were riding a C14 with the wrong flash -- hell no!
8. Oh, I didn't wave? Thought I did, but my Connie buzzes and I haven't felt my hands for the last 35 miles.

bpdutton

7. Steering head bearings are loose - can't let go of bars for fear of death wobble causing a crash.

ZXtasy

6. Hands were too busy searching for that illusive, hidden and invisible cruise control button.

MAN OF BLUES

5) I gave the ADV salute to you..a finger counts as a wave.... if it didn't work, well "sorry"... you just wouldn't get it anyways... (per ADV lingo... FFYYFFF).. we love the ADV wave, it is a kind of "term of endearance"..

ZXtasy

A friend of mine got a personalized plate for his Triumph Trophy, FYYFF....the abridged version of your ADV salute.

santacruzrider

The initials are for something like F- You - You - F'ing - F'word. It's sometimes used as a term of endearment between dudes who are otherwise uncomfortable clearly expressing themselves!!  :nananana:

Regardless, fully appropriate #5 MOB. Well done!

Keep 'em coming.  :great:

Uncle Vern

I waved at a moped yesterday (just saw the solo headlight coming). Probably made his day; he was too shocked to wave back... :)

Uncle Vern

I'm not sure what u mean michi, but I'll wave at u if u come thru sc....ru onna moped? We have lots in our area due to drunk driving laws and summer rentals...I look at them as potential  future bikers ;D

boomer

Crotch Rocket
Forum Subscriber
2. So shocked that a Harley/Goldwing/Sportbike/BMW rider waved at them that their arm muscles froze.

Cra-z1000

Just bought a Concours and haven't changed the 20 year old front tire or tightened the stem bearing so taking a hand off the bars could be deadly . 😃