• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Windshield...Wanted

bearbait51

Mini Bike
Looking for a used Cee Bailey or Rifle windshield.  Reason: Not sure which I want, would like to try before I buy new.

Thanks,

Bearbait

I have the black riser for a rifle windshield, with a cheesy cut down windshield, if that's of any use to you. I am looking to swap it out for a factory windshield....I'm short so I can get away with factory!

Thanks for the offer, but I want a windshield closer to the size I need.  I am 5'9" with a 32" inseam...as average as could be.  Thanks again.

The rifle can be cut down easily.  Mask it on both sides, draw your line just above where you want the top, cut with fine tooth blade on a jig saw, (be sure that the tape is wide enough so the saw foot doesn't scratch the shield), use fine sand paper to smooth the edge.  And your good to go.  Did mine a couple of years ago.  Got it a tad short, so be careful.  I cut a good 2" off mine.  Just installed a new 15" as I broke the old one this spring.  Going to ride with it for a while, but may cut it a little later.

Thanks Oldsaw, I may just have to work on that. My windshield is a homemade jobby that was on it when I bought it, and is all cracked and very thin, so I am thinking about making one of those as well.

Believe it or not, what on there now is a little short and I get a lot of buffering at the top of my helmet, very uncomfortable riding that way

A couple years back, I put the Connie down and broke the shield.  Since then, I've started cutting my own shields for the Riffle.  They are thinner than stock but I've found that I get about 10k miles out of mine and I feel that I'm still saving $$.  Anyway, as I tried different sizes, I also didn't like the buffeting on top of the helmet.  I tried heights up to 21" to no avail.  On a particularly hot day I decided to cut a shield as short as possible.  I could get down to a 10" and still have it look OK.  With this one, I get a full face (down to the bottom of my full-face helmet) of air.  I like this a lot as I no longer get the cycle noise (swept away by the air) and it's much cooler.  So I use two shields now, a 10" and 15".  The shorty is for the summer and the 15" for spring and fall.  I find the 15" gives about 95% the coverage as an 18" but with less buffeting.  Life lesson - taller isn't always better.

tsch.........,  Try a Laminar Lip on that 15".  When I put one on my custom 13" it moves the air stream about 1 1/2 to 2" further up putting it above my helmet.  It is adjustable but be careful when removing it as that is how I broke my shield.  In all fairness I did have a "star crack" around the mounting screw where the brake started. 
Check Slybones report on the lip for more info.