• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wiring chewed up

silverfoxxx

I just got my 2013 C14 in the dealers today for repair. It sat not more than 3 or 4 day. Go to start and cooling fan starts immediately when turning switch. No start just turning over. Code says cooling sensor. On checking find multiple wiring with insulation chewed of and some even with the wiring chewed through. Waiting on estimate for repair. Will be going to RWTW on the Goldwing.
Anyone with similar problem?

Damm that really stinks! We see this on more bikes and cars these days. As you might have heard some of the insulation on the wires is made with a soy product, which the rodents find edible

I just recently discovered that Honda even makes a Rodent Tape P/N# 4019-2317 to at least deter them from the wires. I haven't tried this yet but it will be on my "to do" list before winter storage.

Had mine chewed on a few years back when I was storing outside....didn't do enough damage to warrant repair, but they ate through the insulation on a few wires under the fairing and then nested dead center of the cylinder head. I caught it early, but Could have been BAD.

Moth balls, any kind of Peppermint spray.....and I think there's been mention on previous threads about a Cayenne Spiced repellent that seems to work.

sorry about the trouble. Curious to hear what they replace, and how much it costs.

gr

Well so far so good. With this coved bs the adjusters don’t come out. They have an app that lets me use my phone to dial them like face timing. Then the adjuster takes picture of all the damage. He’s so far paid ( deposited in my account through my debit card) for replacement of the entire wiring harness and labor. Also told the maintenance dept. manager he would cover any other problems they found.
I’m now waiting to be notified by the maintenance dept.
My insurance covers this under comprehensive damage caused by animal, non collision.

I first read this as WING, not Wiring and thought holy moly someone is getting to go fast. ;)

Well so far so good. With this coved bs the adjusters don’t come out. They have an app that lets me use my phone to dial them like face timing. Then the adjuster takes picture of all the damage. He’s so far paid ( deposited in my account through my debit card) for replacement of the entire wiring harness and labor. Also told the maintenance dept. manager he would cover any other problems they found.
I’m now waiting to be notified by the maintenance dept.
My insurance covers this under comprehensive damage caused by animal, non collision.

Great to hear!

Final story on the wiring replacement and other damage. Insurance has covered all but my $100 comprehensive deductible. Total was $4929 which besides wiring harnesses the throttle assembly and eft side fan assembly were chewed up. All items have been ordered. Couple on back order so looking at their delivery 2 to 4 weeks. Hopefully back on it in minimum of 6 weeks. Great work by Allstate and North East Georgia Motorsports in Braselton Georgia.

What a mess. Hope those guys in Braselton take good care of you. That's another report I'll look forward to hearing.
Ron

Main harness and couple sub harnesses still on back order. Last check this past Monday Kawasaki saying delivery expected in two weeks. Good thing I have my Gold Wing to ride .

My last wiring harness just showed up this past Saturday. Blamed COVID on not getting anything shipped earlier. Bike been waiting on the parts since September. Should be ready for me to get all the plastics back on in another week or so. Only thing that kept me on the road was my GoldWing. Didn’t miss any riding days

Rats just chewed up my wiring. My initial inspection shows bare wires to at least 2 coils and a couple of other wires. Also chewed some foam rubber. Could be more hidden damage. I’ve only pulled the left mid fairing. It appears that the wiring harness may need to be replaced. I have comprehensive insurance that should cover the repair. $500 deductible. I had mouse bait and traps out in containers that my cat and dog couldn’t get into. The rats were too big to get that bait. They went for the dog food and my bike. Remember to keep any food in rodent proof containers and protect against rats and mice. I trapped out the rats.

I feel your pain. See attached picture. This is the wire harness running to the spark plug coils that sits on top of the engine. I was able to carefully pull the wires apart and cover the bare wires with liquid electrical tape before re-wrapping the harness with actual electrical tape. The bike has run fine ever since (damage done in 2017) and I now set and maintain mouse traps around the bike where it sits for winters in my detached garage.

Attachments

• Wire_Harness.jpg
    Wire_Harness.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 121
I wonder what it is about plastic wiring covering that is attractive to rodents?
I tore down a straw bale house several years ago and the wiring in the walls had been eaten up by mice, like a hundred feet of it.
Nick
2014 C-14

It's because lots of wiring for cars and bikes are soy based. They think it's tasty. MOB used to recommend a concoction made of hot peppers to spray the wiring down with to prevent them from chewing. Wonder if mexican mice like it spicy? :)
All about soy based wiring

Well. I have my bike back on the road. All new wiring. I’ve packed the area of wires with a copper mesh from a business that supplies pest control supplies. Hope that’s going to help. Placed bait boxes on outside with rat poison. Plus several home made traps. From around Sept. 3rd till just before Christmas the shop was waiting on the harnesses. Every call to Kawasaki by the repair shop was told Covid was to blame. No new harnesses being made and warehouses closed. Bike was delivered back to be last Monday. Took several days to get all the plastics back on. Only thing not working is the horn. Fix that tomorrow.
I’m very happy with Northeast Georgia Motorsports Braselton GA. for the repairs. They were surprised insurance covered it. They thought it would be totaled. A 2013 C14 with just over 74,000 miles. Total repair cost of $4900. I had $100 deductible. And very happy with Allstate Insurance. Covered Everything plus two updates on chewed parts. Very happy to be back on the road.

I considered using liquid electrical tape but every wire in some of the bundles are bare and some of the copper wire is also partially chewed. Not sure that I could get everything covered with liquid tape. See attached photo.

Attachments

• A99759BD-8AF8-47D5-AC12-23B42DB157C0.jpeg
    A99759BD-8AF8-47D5-AC12-23B42DB157C0.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 140